Author Topic: Reen's obsidian  (Read 24430 times)

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
Re: Reen's obsidian
« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2008, 12:51:40 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, VegasDev.

I personally believe that the obsidian has no special properties, Reen just kept it as a sort of good luck charm.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2008, 07:40:20 PM »
I agree that it probably had no magical properties (three magic systems, and two almost dieties are enought I think), but that doesn't mean it isn't important.  Why did Reen leave it behind that day?  He took everything else he owned with him.  This gets me thinking:  Reen knew he was about to be caught.  He knew the inquisitors were close to catching him, so early one morning, he takes all his things, and leaves, making Vin think he abandoned her.  This was either to teach her a lesson, or so that she wouldn't go looking for him, or try to seek revenge or something like that.  So Reen marches off, meets his death, swears Vin is dead, and dies.  Vin thinks he is vanished and is long gone because he took all his things, gives up hope of ever finding him, and just contents herself to stay with Camon.  But Reen left one thing behind.  A piece of Obsidian with strange markings, for Vin.  These strange markings are they simply a different language perhaps?  What would happen if Vin showed the obsidian to Sazed I wonder.  Does Vin ever mention some of the things she sees in other languages is framiliar?
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2008, 11:53:21 PM »
This hadn't fallen off page one so I thought I would add to this topic. I've gone past this quote in several threads, book rereads etc. but never thought anything of it. I just happened to be thinking of this thread when I ran across it again and this stuck out.

Quote from: Mistborn 1 Chapter 18
You could say that circumstances forced me to leave my home behind—certainly, if I had stayed, I would now be dead. During those days—running without knowing why, carrying a burden I didn’t understand—I assumed that I would lose myself in Khlennium and seek a life of indistinction. I am slowly coming to understand that anonymity, like so many other things, has already been lost to me forever.

Probably means nothing, but it just sounded very much like Reen to me.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 11:55:53 PM by VegasDev »
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2008, 03:27:11 AM »
This hadn't fallen off page one so I thought I would add to this topic. I've gone past this quote in several threads, book rereads etc. but never thought anything of it. I just happened to be thinking of this thread when I ran across it again and this stuck out.

Quote from: Mistborn 1 Chapter 18
You could say that circumstances forced me to leave my home behind—certainly, if I had stayed, I would now be dead. During those days—running without knowing why, carrying a burden I didn’t understand—I assumed that I would lose myself in Khlennium and seek a life of indistinction. I am slowly coming to understand that anonymity, like so many other things, has already been lost to me forever.

Probably means nothing, but it just sounded very much like Reen to me.
But it wasn't Reen. . . o.O
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2008, 04:19:55 PM »
I wasn't saying it was Reen, because it obviously wasn't. In this quote Alendi was running but didn't know why (turns out it might have been death), carrying a burden he didn't understand, long before he met Kwaan and matched the prophecy.

What I was saying is that the behavior was like Reen, who always kept them (Reen and Vin) running from the Inquisitors that he probably didn't even know were looking for them.

As I said, the quote probably doesn't mean anything in regards to Reens obsidian, I was just pointing out that his behavior matched that of Alendi. Fleeing to another city without knowing why doesn't seem to be normal behavior, but in both cases huge events followed.
moustaches on the other.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2008, 05:25:43 PM »
Oh I see.  I misread what you were saying. ha ha.

I still think there was a reason he left it though.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2008, 06:11:54 PM »
I still think there was a reason he left it though.[/color]

I do too. It may be something as simple as just a reminder to Vin or it may be that it is important. Perhaps it is something that told Alendi when to move on and Reen somehow got ahold of it. Maybe Ruin talks through metal spikes in people's bodies but preservation speaks through that particular piece of obsidian. Just extra theories while we wait. ;)
moustaches on the other.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2008, 07:45:09 PM »
There is also the possibility that it was initially intended to be something important but then wasn't.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2008, 05:28:58 PM »
So, Reen is actually Alendi...and Vin has pieces of obsidian all over inside of her, put there by Reen (Alendi) so that preservation can control her and she can become the hero of ages, except his plan doesn't work, because Ruin uses Vin's mom to give vin hemalurgy. The secret to allomancy is also to have high concentrations of obsidian in your body.

I like it.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2008, 06:35:36 PM »
So, Reen is actually Alendi...and Vin has pieces of obsidian all over inside of her, put there by Reen (Alendi) so that preservation can control her and she can become the hero of ages, except his plan doesn't work, because Ruin uses Vin's mom to give vin hemalurgy. The secret to allomancy is also to have high concentrations of obsidian in your body.

I like it.

lol sounds painful.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2008, 10:23:10 PM »
That was pretty intense. . . but I don't buy it.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2008, 06:28:39 AM »
I don't either but I like the find though, and you are right it does sound like Reen, however perhaps the burden was "on his arms"
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2008, 12:56:44 PM »
lol i was kinda assuming it was a joke...
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2008, 11:18:54 PM »
Yeah...maybe I need to work on adding emoticons in such a way as to better express my sarcasm........

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2008, 12:45:39 AM »
The [/sarcasm] tag is always wonderful. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。