Author Topic: Reen's obsidian  (Read 24678 times)

darxbane

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Reen's obsidian
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2008, 09:25:26 PM »
Ooh, I just thought of something way out there!  What if Reen kept it to protect himself against Vin?  I bet he knew about her powers, and kept it in case she figured them out and tried to use them against him!  Its as good a theory as any.  He could have used it to shave for all we know.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2008, 10:00:05 PM »
I like it. its simple but would justify him hanging on to it for so long.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2008, 12:55:47 AM »
That actually makes the most sense of anything I've heard yet. I like it, darx. He would have wanted to keep Vin around, but wouldn't want her to be a threat, so...

Makes sense.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2008, 03:12:58 AM »
Thanks for the reality check.  We tend to expound on things to the point that they are completely unbelievable. . . sometimes we all need to be pulled back down to earth.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2008, 03:34:42 AM »
sometimes we all need to be pulled back down to earth.

On this particular forum, quite frequently, actually. As mentioned earlier, darx, I actually really like that idea. I've not been so keen on the obsidian having some special significance the whole way through this thread, so I guess it's nice to see someone on the same page as me.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2008, 07:11:55 AM »
I doubt that it protected Reen from Vin; he wouldn't have left it with her if that was the case because it would have rendered her helpless. At first glance, I would say that the obsidian isn't noteworthy, I mean how does Reen, a member of a thieving crew,  acquire this all important relic let alone Vin not know about it's importance. Then I go back and look at some of these quotes that we posted and it brings up questions about Vin and her family.

a pebble from each city she'd visited, the earring Reen said Vin's mother had given her, and a bit of obsidian the size of a large coin.  It was chipped into an irregular pattern - Reen had carried it as some kind of good luck charm.  It was the only thing he'd left behind when he'd snuck away from the crew half a year before.

Tevidian was visibly shaking.  “I … I think I got them all, my lord.  There … there was one I may have been too lax with.  I didn’t know she was skaa at first.

First, Vin has traveled to other cities besides Luthadel. I don't get the impression that a thieving crew would travel great distances when Luthadel is ripe for the taking. When Vin first leaves the city with Kelsier it's almost as if it was the first time she had gone outside the walls, except we know by the first quote that she had seen other cities. So that leads me to the conclusion that she had traveled when she was young, probably when her mother was alive because I just can't see Reen traveling alone with a very young Vin.

The second quote, Tevidian says he didn't know she was a skaa at first. Now, he could have been lying to save his life or he could have been telling the truth. If he was telling the truth, how does a Skaa pull off such a trick. We saw what it took for Kelsier and crew to get Vin infiltrated into their society and he had a very large source of funds. How did Vin's mother pull it off?

So we see that Reen and Vin have traveled outside of Luthadel and Vin's mother was able to seduce not just an Obligator, but one that had VERY good bloodlines. Reen walks around with this obsidian like it is his good luck charm and one day leaves it for Vin without ever returning because he was unable to avoid the Inquisitors for the first time.  I would think that anything to do with Vin's mother and Reen need to be carefully examined because none of it looks like mere coincidence.

I have alot more to theorize, but I have been up a very long time and we still got a couple months to formulate and reformulate.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2008, 09:34:28 AM »
I'm pretty sure Reen and Vin moved around after escaping their mother because he was avoiding the Inquisitors. It's true Luthadel is very good for thieving crews, but it also happens to be the home of The Lord Ruler and his Inquisitors.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2008, 03:11:49 PM »
After reading the quote in Vegasdev's post, I realized that I missed something.  I had it in my head that he piece of obsidian was shaped into a sharp object, but it says that it was shaped in an irregular pattern.  Now I want to know exactly what it looks like.  I am now imagining it as some sort of medallion.  Don't get me wrong, I am still not convinced that it is of any real significance, but I am no longer writing it off, either.
I disagree that Reen and Vin didn't move around a lot.  When Vin says she is seeing the world outside Luthadel for the first time, it is because she is burning Tin, and is not on the run.  She mentions that every time she moved with Reen it was at night, and normal people can't see anything at night.  Plus they were just going from safehouse to safehouse, with no time to appreciate the surroundings.  It's just pointing out her first real taste of freedom, I think. 
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2008, 04:23:54 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I am still not convinced that it is of any real significance, but I am no longer writing it off, either.

Plus they were just going from safehouse to safehouse, with no time to appreciate the surroundings.  It's just pointing out her first real taste of freedom, I think. 
I agree on both counts.

I am a bit sketchy on the first one however.  I mean, if had been important wouldn't it have actually described the pattern instead of just saying it had one?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2008, 05:19:08 PM »
I disagree that Reen and Vin didn't move around a lot.  When Vin says she is seeing the world outside Luthadel for the first time, it is because she is burning Tin, and is not on the run.  She mentions that every time she moved with Reen it was at night, and normal people can't see anything at night.  Plus they were just going from safehouse to safehouse, with no time to appreciate the surroundings.  It's just pointing out her first real taste of freedom, I think. 

The constant movement from city to city had been Reen’s choice; he had been obsessive about never getting locked down. He usually got them places on canal boats run by underground crews, never staying in one place for more than a year. He had kept moving, always going. As if running from something.

From this quote, you are right that they did travel alot, although they didn't do it at night (at least not between cities) because prior to this quote, she was amazed that they (Kelsier and her) were going outside the city at night.

However it doesn't change the tone of my post. Vin's mother was somehow able to seduce a very high ranking obligator for reasons of her own. From this quote, we can deduce that Reen was avoiding the Inquisitors and able to pull this off for years until one day he leaves his obsidian behind and is caught by them. These aren't minor coincidences, both had obvious motivations, we just don't know what they were. Now I'm not saying that the obsidian is important, I'm just saying that anything to do with either Vin's mother or Reen cannot be discarded offhand when they both had large roles in shaping Vin's creation and survival.
moustaches on the other.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2008, 05:45:54 PM »
So, VegasDev, are you saying that you think that the obsidian is some sort of...anti-inquisitor charm? That makes sense, I guess. I, like Darx, was assuming that the obsidian was sharp, so I'm not really sure what I think at the moment.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2008, 08:00:14 PM »
I don't really think the obsidian has any special or magical qualities of its own. Everything having to do with magic in these books are metal. I am more interested in where he got it and what the symbols or carvings mean.
To me, Reen seems like a very down-to-earth person. He is not wasting his time carving meaningless symbols into a black rock; he is busy ripping off nobles. He must have got it somewhere....and where does obsidian come from? Ashmounts...
just some random thoughts.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2008, 08:39:06 PM »
I assume Ashmounts are semi-active Volcanos and if this is true than obsidian is created by volcanos. Maybe the obsidian is in someway connected to the ashmounts. The ashmounts being volcanos and producing obsidian would explain the abundance of obsidian in the books so far. I wonder if there is a connection between Reen, Vin and the Ashmounts? Trust me I'm aware I am streching this farther and farther now seeing how I am inclined to beleive more along the lines of a simple explination for the obsidian but there is a possability.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2008, 10:30:14 PM »
I'm not saying that the obsidian is an inquisitor repellant or anything like that.

It's possible that he only left it for Vin to remember him by. However, when I take into account the lengths Vin's mother went through to give birth to and bestow power upon her, as well as the lengths Reen went to keep her out of the ever searching Inquisitors eyes, I have to wonder about it's importance when he leaves his good luck charm behind.

Heck, it's possible that it is a doubloon and if she lines it up with the lighthouse, the rock and the restaurant she will find the atium supply. Or maybe the markings are cryptovariables for analyzing old texts. Who knows. It may be something or nothing at all.
moustaches on the other.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2008, 10:54:45 PM »
First of all your my hero for that reference. That was amazing. Second I think this is such a wide ranged topic due to its lack of information. We know nothing about this peice of obsidian so it could very well be a "Dabloon" as you say. It could have something to do with Inq's or Ruin. thats the fun