Author Topic: When is it Over?  (Read 8708 times)

Piaggio

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Love means never having to walk her dingo
    • View Profile
When is it Over?
« on: June 08, 2005, 03:05:49 AM »
Hi.  New guy.

I just broke up with my girlfriend  :-/ after three years together and am about to start school at the University of Melbourne next year.

when did you first really know it was over in your last serious relationship?  For me, I guess it was when my sheila started saying she couldn't make our dates because she already had plans.  With Bart.  My roomie.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: When is it Over?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 03:09:07 AM »
Hey dont forget to introduce yourself here...
http://www.timewastersguide.com/boards/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=1051196804
Ouch!
But seriously
Ouch....

« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 03:10:50 AM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 04:19:48 AM »
I havent been dumped often, but it has happend. The coldest was Marjorie Huff... a gal who made out with me, then led me on and then avoided telling me that she broke up with me.

Piaggio

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 04:36:04 AM »
Love hurts.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 04:48:08 AM »
yeah it sure does...

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 04:52:28 AM »
Welcome to the board, Piaggio. I'm glad you think that we are intellectual bloggers (I'm referring to your introductory post on the "Introduce Yourself" thread), since we all seem to think that too.  ;)

It's hard to know when it's over. Three years is a long time, and I'm sure you came to really care for Sheila in that amount of time. I've never been in a serious relationship for that long--three months (and counting) is my current record! But in the more minor relationships, when I or the other person called it quits, it usually was quits. It takes compromise and work to make a relationship work--so both parties have to be invested, and be willing to communicate and work at it.

Love does hurt. Even when you're in a relationship and things are going well, love sometimes hurts. But the risk of the pain is worth the joy and happiness of finding someone you connect with.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Master Gopher

• Level 11
  • I do not disguise my nerdiness.
    • View Profile
    • HomePage
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 07:17:59 AM »
Awesome, the Oz crew expands!!

I love Melbourne, most of my family live there. Where're you hanging out?

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 09:27:33 AM »
I think at this point TWG-Oz outnumber TWG-East, what with Stacer betraying us and going to work for Wizards (ok, I can't really take that as a betrayal, I know, leave me with my delusions).

Marjorie may have misled Jeffe, but she also gave me a)one of the coolest CDs I ever owned, and b) a set of Simpsons stack dolls purchased in Moscow (Russia, not Idaho). I was just smart enough not to get involved.

Lessee. what was the relationship I had before my wife? lesseee, my wife broke up with me several times. But I won't rehash that. I didn't date anyone seriously at BYU besides my wife, so I guess I have to go back to Sarah (at UNCG). It was only a weekend thing, but she told me I kissed like one of her exes, so it'd never work. What kind of a lame excuse is that?

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 09:49:17 AM »
Yay, TWG Australia expands! Welcome to the boards, I'm JP, your friendly mod and captain of team Aus on the boards. We also have Gopher, Xaio, and Melonade when I convince her to come by here.

Anyway, my only relationship was with a girl in America. We saw each other online, "went out" for two weeks during which we only communicated online for about an hour once, and then realised the whole thing was stupid.  I kinda knew it was over before it started...
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Piaggio

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 12:33:52 PM »
Awesome, the Oz crew expands!!

I love Melbourne, most of my family live there. Where're you hanging out?

I live at home and I hang out at work.

;D

PorterMcD

• Level 1
  • giddy-up!
    • View Profile
    • CowPunch
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 02:27:53 PM »
my last serious relationship? well...i guess i knew it was over once i started getting the blisters...

oh wait...strike that.

...it was the skin discoloration that really did us in.
Nuthin' like a cold glass of CowPunch!
www.CowPunch.com

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 09:47:08 PM »
My favorite way I found out I had been dumped was when I saw my girlfriend after school, hanging with one of her (girl) friends.  I went up to them and said hi, and the other girl looks at me and says, "Oooo!  So this is the guy."  My girlfriend turned pale and shook her head, frantically trying to shut her friend up.  I may be dense--but I'm not THAT dense.   >:(

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 10:28:25 PM »
I had a relationship where I kept thinking it was over and that he was dating someone else but then he would come back and start holding my hand again. I had problems with this, since he was always still dating the other girl.  Perhaps he wanted to be a polygamist?
If I had any clue, would I be here?

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 12:24:21 AM »
My longest relationship was 4 years. It kind of fizzled out toward the end--we kept picking fights with each other because we subconsciously knew we shouldn't be together anymore, but loved each other, too.

I am totally an Anne of Green Gables, though. "I can't help but soar on the wings of anticipation. It almost pays for the thud." Except when I thud, it's usually bad. I'm trying not to let myself hope that much anymore, actually. Just enjoy the ride and if I'm pleasantly surprised, good. (We'll see how long that resolution lasts.) And I'm a Marianne (as in Sense and Sensibility), too. Completely unable to hide my feelings. I always feel like I ought to be more of an Eleanor, and sometimes I do okay at that, but it's mostly not in my nature.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 12:36:23 AM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 10:58:06 AM »
Sometimes a couple years after you know it's over, it starts again.  :)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!