Author Topic: When is it Over?  (Read 8811 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: When is it Over?
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2005, 11:51:34 PM »
I didn't say anything about soulmates or there being a "the One".  I don't think that's true. I do think that God - who likes to take care of his children - can arrange events so that you meet someone who you could marry and be compatible with.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2005, 03:29:52 PM »
Ditto.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2005, 03:39:03 PM »
I definitely agree that divine intervention means what fuzzy just said.  And sometimes divine intervention means just the opposite--making it impossible for you to be with someone you think is absolutely perfect for you, who you later learn really wouldn't be perfect for you for some reason you hadn't considered. There are many people in my past that I'm so glad I didn't end up dating or marrying after all. A big example is a boyfriend I dated while at BYU. I thought he was so amazing, and I thought we were the best of friends. We were talking marriage and everything (which I was really naive about back then--it was a really whirlwind romance)--and then he broke up with me. I was devastated.

But the more I got to know him after we'd broken up (he was in my ward and friends with my friends for three more years after that), the more I realized that I hated the way he treated other people and I really hated the way he viewed the world. For example, he didn't want to be a doctor to help people--he wanted to be a doctor because it would be the kind of profession the world would respect him for.  :P

He loved a number of other things about his undergrad program--the research, the science of it--and I thought several times that he'd make a better researcher, which would get plenty of approval of society, but he didn't want to, because it wouldn't pay enough and wasn't as prominent as a doctor. I missed a bullet on that one!
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2005, 04:10:06 PM »
Hmm...what do I want to say about this?

I still maintain that it is a miracle that people ever get together. I never understood how some people always had a boyfriend/girlfriend, while my dating was always brief and sporadic. Throughout my college years I had such difficulty finding someone to connect with that I began to think I was cursed. Now, I think that part of the problem was that I was looking in all the wrong places. I thought I wanted someone like my father--and while it is true that my dad has many qualities that I like (such as a quirky sense of humor and a love of the arts), I don't think I would be happy with someone who placed so much emphasis on financial success=worth.

Why do I think it is a miracle that people ever couple off and get married? Because people are so complicated already. I can barely understand myself--it's a whole different plane to have to understand someone else. But we all seek and desire deep connections with other people--at least, I do. I don't like superficial people--I want to surround myself with people who think and feel deeply, and who I can share my deepest hopes and dreams with.

I think you also have to be at a certain place before you are ready. This is perhaps where divine intervention comes in. I almost took EUOL's class last year during Winter Semester. But I ended up taking Sally Taylor's writing class, because she was a full professor and when I saw that Brandon Sanderson was a only grad student I said, "Meh. Why would I waste my time in a class taught by a grad student with no experience?" (I didn't know that he had a book accepted for publication, or how huge that was.) But I don't know if I would have liked him then. I am much different now than I was a year ago. I also thought about going to TLE when I was a sophmore and junior, so around '00 and '01. If I had, I might have run into EUOL. Again, I don't know if I would have liked him then--I was VERY different before my mission. So was it divine intervention that I didn't meet EUOL until last Fall in Louise Plummer's writing class? Maybe. Perhaps. I think so.

Then again, EUOL invited me to be in his writing group after Louise's class. (He told me later it was because he didn't want me to disappear at the end of the semester.) Otherwise, I may have never seen him again--it happens all the time: You meet someone you like, but you never talk outside of class, and then the class ends and maybe you say "hi" when you pass them in the halls of the JKHB. But EUOL made sure that didn't happen. And then he got me and another person in his 318 class to start going out to eat after class, so we had more time to visit and get to know each other. My secret crush might have just stayed a crush if I hadn't had the opportunity to get to know him. But I was the first to ask him out on a "date" that was just the two of us. (I got tired of waiting.) So sometimes divine intervention needs a little help.  ;)

I guess I'm saying that relationships work because of both coincidences and chance meetings at the right time that I view to be divine intervention, followed by work and effort on the part of both people.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2005, 04:43:34 PM »
I also thought about going to TLE when I was a sophmore and junior, so around '00 and '01. If I had, I might have run into EUOL. Again, I don't know if I would have liked him then--I was VERY different before my mission.

Not to mention, EUOL would have thought you were too young back then. He was very vocal about certain TLE girls being way too young for him to date.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2005, 05:25:19 PM »
Yes, now I am mature, at the ripe old age of 24.  ;)

I was set on going on a mission anyway, so I doubt I would have been swayed, even by EUOL's geeky charm.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 05:31:48 PM by Chimera »

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2005, 06:21:51 PM »
Yes, now I am mature, at the ripe old age of 24.  ;)

Gawd! Hanging around with you old aged pensioners really damages my street cred y'know. 4 rl.

[/teenaged moron]
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 06:22:19 PM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2005, 06:36:49 PM »
Lol.

Suddenly I don't feel so bad about not being a teenager anymore...

Archon

• Level 27
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2005, 12:04:13 AM »
Why would someone ever feel bad about not being a teenager? Everyone treats you like you are automatically an idiot, among assorted other annoyances.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2005, 12:14:42 AM »
That's because teenagers are automatically idiots.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2005, 12:40:19 AM »
Except the ones that aren't and get sick of being treated like one.

Master Gopher

• Level 11
  • I do not disguise my nerdiness.
    • View Profile
    • HomePage
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2005, 12:45:32 AM »
*is sick of it*

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2005, 01:10:18 AM »
There are teenagers that AREN'T idiots?

Not joking here - I used to be an idiot. Actually, I probably still am.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2005, 01:22:00 AM »
Yes, well I would prefer not to have the same designation of intelligence as the people who get blasted every chance they get, the people who have never read a book before, the people who don't know simple multiplication, division, and squares, the people who think that in Germany, they speak Dutch (I swear, I have actually met someone who thought this), and the people who don't know that 1/3 is larger than 1/4. (In case you are wondering where that came from, one of the major burger franchises in America came out with a 1/3 pounder, to compete with the 1/4 pounder, but they couldn't sell them, because the public was too stupid to know that 1/4 is smaller than 1/3)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 01:22:47 AM by Archon »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2005, 01:26:14 AM »
See, that's not teenagers, that's people in general. People in general are idiots, for certain, but they're bigger idiots as teenagers - even smart people are bigger idiots as teenagers than as adults. Of course, smart teenagers are less idiot than idiot adults, but still.