Author Topic: Novel in a month  (Read 37990 times)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: Novel in a month
« Reply #165 on: November 04, 2003, 12:45:43 PM »
Eh, just send it to him. The little monkey likes to do the work. Don't you monkey. Now, do a funny jig for us. Hahahahah!  ;D

And I like it the way it is. Why does everyone always have to change a good thing. Humbugerry.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2003, 12:47:58 PM by Gemm »
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 04, 2003, 01:00:57 PM »
Saint: Maybe Pek got wanderlust? He's exploring the grounds around his town and, like the all wise being all teenagers are, decides to push on, despite the warning of a storm. Or, alternately, he's lost something important, and if he waits until after the snow storm, it's only going to be harder to find.

Kije: It looks like it's the total word count for the month.

Gemm: Because I want to see how everyone is doing at a glance, without having to pick through small fonts. Have pity on me and my glasses!

Sorry, Fell.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2003, 01:03:19 PM by Treyva »
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #167 on: November 04, 2003, 01:09:26 PM »
Hey, I have glasses too. Without them my vision is at 70/50 (left/right) or something like that. So don't go telling me. I'm on the same level as you. :P
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #168 on: November 04, 2003, 03:09:53 PM »
I have no objection to you posting my word count, SE. I'm a little too busy to have looked at the site, though, so don't expect any feedback soon.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #169 on: November 04, 2003, 03:33:25 PM »
SE:  Yeah, go ahead and post me.  I doubt I'll be able to keep up, since I have to worry about planning and revising, but we might as well add my name to the list.  I can't be official with NaNoWriMo, since I'm working on a book I started before the month began, but I can post here with you guys.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #170 on: November 04, 2003, 06:01:05 PM »
Just send me total word count. I'll do any other math involved. It takes me all of 60 seconds a day (ok, more like 4 minutes or so) to update the calander, so it's not a big deal.

I will then keep track of Fell's word counts as he posts.
Likewise EUOL's

I've written 50 words today! Aren't you proud? This is partially because cops are stupid. Detailed rant to come later, probably from home, since Internet access at work has really started to suck.

As far as why he's out there, I was thinking more of a chore, but maybe I could make it his own foolishness. For now he's getting some sort of thatch or something. I kinda want it to be an assignment, in keeping with his character development. Probably the final novel will need another scene of him fooling around. Yeah, it doesn't make a lot of sense, but still... Just another thing for the revision list.

This novel is probably going to be 150k when it's done, I'm thinking. As at 5k, he's still 11 and just barely finishing that year out. It'll probably be 10k before he gets sent away. Then he has to mature, then come back, then resolve a conflict. It's turning out to be much less epic than I expected as well, which isn't necessarily bad, but the way it is. Maybe the sequel will be epic.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 04, 2003, 07:51:11 PM »
I have to say that I am starting to have a greater appreciation for non-epics. Not that epics are bad, but sometimes it is just nice to watch a character succeed, without the entire world/kingdom requiring him/her to save it.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2003, 07:51:38 PM by Treyva »
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #172 on: November 04, 2003, 08:09:57 PM »
I'm thinking that I need more detail on my larger conflict. I'm obviously not going to get to some of the plots, and the personal vengeance/revelation/maturity thing will take at least the 50k. I'll have to see where I am.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #173 on: November 04, 2003, 10:04:55 PM »
I'm at 6060 words total. I'm glad that I'm staying over my goal, but kind of worried that I write less and less each day. Oh well, things will pick up tomorrow.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #174 on: November 04, 2003, 10:48:27 PM »
I think that part of that is that if you meet your goal every day, and do it without breaking a sweat, that you start to think it's too easy. it might be worth it to up your goal so you keep working hard to make it. Might keep your word count from dropping.

I'm still having days like today, where it's already 10 and I've only done 430 words, so I need to bust my hump at the very end to meet my 2k/day goal, so I'm not ready to up my goal yet.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 05, 2003, 01:30:24 AM »
This is difficult for a professional procrastinator like myself.  Now that I'm starting to care about the story I'm getting careful with it and that's something that can't happen if I want to finish this in a month.  I'm coping, just not very well at the moment.

I'm thinking of using a random event generator every 5000 words or so just to keep me on edge and to keep me from wanting to plan too much.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #176 on: November 05, 2003, 01:38:42 AM »
OK, first as for the calander: I added Fell's numbers for the 3rd and the 4th, which are the only two reliable counts I had for him. I also added EUOL to the third, having only that word count. Kije was added to the 1-3, since he reported his progression.
I expect that i'll get an updated count from EUOL and MoD for the 4th tomorrow.
Gemm usually reports to me at about 10pm, so that's why he and I get updated so fast

Ok, and for my progress report: I find myself competing against Fell. Much like post count on the message board, I like to stay ahead once I'm there, so I got a lot done today, maintaining my lead (unless Fell decided to write again since his last post). I feel like i'm doing really well, but I figure I can only dwell on the issues of Peks' childhood for a few more days, then I've got to go to his maturation when he's sent away.So far, so good though, most major issues I've had have been resolved (I even worked out why he's stuck in the snow, and this time a half way decent reason... unless you can't go falconing in the cold, in which case I'll have to change stuff around -- someone read up and let me know what they think) I think I've struck a balance between Peks being a jerk to the future love interest and still being a sympathetic character. I think I need another teasing episode, probably before any of the event here, but I need to think about that. I have a couple scenes that need a lot of work, though they communicate what i want, I think, as they are, they're just unrealistic in presentation and awkward. And naturally, I need to do a lot of proofreading.

Sorry for inundating you, but I'm really excited about this, even as I can't keep my eyes open tonight.
So, more tomorrow! Yay! this is fun! I hope you all feel like you're doing well and can reach the 50k word goal! Seems like many of us can reach it! And don't forget, it's not too late to start! You've only lost 4 days, and most of us our counting on flaking on at least that many during the month!
! (sorry, just realized how many I've included there, I blame the children. Yes, definitely the children).

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #177 on: November 05, 2003, 02:33:18 AM »
I'm at 3905 total. That, minus my other total, makes 2059 for the day, I believe.

I'd tell you what I'm working on, but since it's in the middle of the book, it wouldn't make all that much sense.  Anyway, good job, everyone.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 05, 2003, 10:20:22 AM »
*snort*

Like making sense has ever been requirement around here....
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #179 on: November 05, 2003, 10:47:00 AM »
Well, I was going kind of slow anyway, but I have to officially drop out.  I talked to Covenant last night, and they're going to put my book on CD.  That's cool, but because of audio requirements, I have to cut my book from 63,000 words to 48,000.  And I have to do it in three weeks.  I think I'm just going to cut every fourth word.

Anyway, no more NaNoWriMo for me.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com