Author Topic: Novel in a month  (Read 40055 times)

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
Re: Novel in a month
« Reply #195 on: November 06, 2003, 01:07:48 AM »
I'm quite pleased - especially since Covenant puts almost all their fiction on tape - it's a second item on the market for only a little extra work.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 06, 2003, 01:15:02 AM »
Oh, and I'm finding that those of you that I've gotten to know (in person or through the forum) are showing up in what I write.

“Yeah.  It’s time for some mindless entertainment.”
“I don’t want to watch TV all day.”
“I was thinking about a movie.”
“Yeah, I could go for that.”
“You got any in mind?”
Lionel thought for a moment.  “Um, yeah.  There’s that one about King Arthur and all the knights.  That one looked pretty good.”
“I don’t think I’ve heard of that one, but it sounds good.  I like all that Camelot stuff.”
“Yeah, it’s pretty cool.”

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #197 on: November 06, 2003, 01:26:25 AM »
Calendar reporting time again:
with Fell not having reported, I'm still in the lead with a solid 20% of my novel written, putting me one full day ahead of the daily goal.

I've updated gemm too. Sounds like MoD, who I've been sharing mutual support with this evening, is still working. I'll wait to hear from the rest of you, and looking at EUOL's signature for updates.

Still having fun, still hoping you're all doing well, even if you don't hit 50k, you'll have a heckuva start! (and it's to bed with me, after yet ANOTHER late night!)

Oh, and Kije, i know it's a distraction from your novel, but genre versions of that list would be COOL, AND something we could turn into random event tables for "winging" a role playing session, so it could be posted as an article.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 01:30:41 AM by SaintEhlers »

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 06, 2003, 02:51:50 AM »
Yeah, Kije your list is really cool. I might have to borrow some of it to get me through some tough spots, though Saint has helped me get my hands around that amorphos middle. Made my goal for the day. Time to crash.

*boink*
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 06, 2003, 04:39:30 AM »
That kind of table already has been made by the GM's newsletter, which has done stuff like "100 things to find in a mine" and "100 minor magic items".
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #200 on: November 06, 2003, 05:00:49 AM »
I've seen SE's amorphous middle, and I can't imagine why you'd want to get your hands around it.

I wasn't able to start on my writing today until 10 pm (my only free time during the day was used up by watching Matrix: Revolutions), so I didn't technically finish my writing until 2 in the morning. I count it as being completed on the fifth, though, so mark me up at 8051 words. I should be able to write much more freely tomorrow...I hope.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #201 on: November 06, 2003, 06:20:48 AM »
I'm up to 7805, though I too wrote late.  However, I do that pretty much every day (prime writing time for me is 10pm-2am) so it should even out.

I must say, I'm very interested in the Fell/SE race.  From what I've read, you two are the next most likely to break into the field.  It will be interesting to see who finishes first, and then to read what you're producing.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #202 on: November 06, 2003, 08:17:56 AM »
Had not I ran into a proverbial brick wall and had it come down on me I would have had more words. And I will be the most entrepenuerial person you've ever known EUOL. Oh, do not worry, I will take my chances!
NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.
                William S. Burroughs

Who needs girls when youve got comics?
                Grant Morrisons Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #203 on: November 06, 2003, 08:56:14 AM »
Well, EUOL is obviously the daily leader, with almost 4000 words yesterday, though I'm in second place, since fell got 1989 words while I did 2293. And I still retain my over all lead. Don't worry, I only have delusions of holding that over EUOL beyond the weekend. Even at his current pace, I should be able to hold it tomorrow. Unless I actually pass out from exhaustion.
I should call in sick....

and hey, you just don't want to put your hands on my amorphus middle because you're a guy. It's a sexy amorphus middle that many girls can't avoid putting their hands on. It's a curse, but someone must bear it.

Speaking of amorphus parts though, I'm starting to see what the biggest problem of all will be with this novel -- I have a very clear personal maturity/growing up story, but with that, there's no compellling reason to set it in a fantasy world. I also have a clear supernatural element that keeps coming back having to do with the identity of the protagonist and his father. I don't however, have a strong conflict for this supernatural element. My big worry is that the two plotlines will be resolved completely independently, and that they will appear to be two different stories, with one more or less just thrown in.
Mostly this is because Peks entire childhood, adolescence, and return to make good have been planned, while the larger conflict having to do with the supernatural elements is largely left unexplored. I've been writing what I know, and putting off the rest in order to meet word counts, but that's only gonna last for so long. if anyone takes the time to read my manuscript so far (daily incarnation linked to from http://www.writers-group.org/NaNoWriMo) and has thoughts, let me know. Yeah, I should probably just follow the advice I gave Izzy, but I think I have a less clear result in mind for that. Time to review notes....
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 09:16:40 AM by SaintEhlers »

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #204 on: November 06, 2003, 10:06:43 AM »
I think I've figured out a way to end my story, on page 10. Everyone dies because a car left unattended ran into area 51 and woke up the Nuclear Alien who blew the world up. And so, everyone was killed, only to become an even smaller part of the galaxy. The End.
NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.
                William S. Burroughs

Who needs girls when youve got comics?
                Grant Morrisons Flex Mentallo

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 06, 2003, 10:36:25 AM »
I've decided that my novel will end with the hero killing the royal phillosopher.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 06, 2003, 11:09:32 AM »
Good. Royal philosophers deserve death.

I was talking about the middle of my story!!! Good grief.

I think I beat Saint on words for the day. However, I am paying for my past bad behavior and he's still way ahead of me in total words.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #207 on: November 06, 2003, 11:43:14 AM »
/me does the math

Well, yeah, but you didn't write at all the day before. I usually only count the day to day when I figure that out in my head, just because I don't know if you wrote and didn't tell me, or what. But yeah, if you did all that just yesterday, i'm in third and Fell is in fourth. Which means I get the bronze medal and he gets NOTHING! HAHAHAHAHAH!

I've already explained that my ending is going to be "Suddenly, everything blew up," since the novel will be at least another 50k afterwards, but I want to have a "finished" manuscript during November.

Incidentally, The links to manuscripts will come down on Dec 1, for privacy reasons. Then we can workshop by email n' stuff.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 06, 2003, 12:22:15 PM »
Yes, all of that was written yesterday. As I posted yesterday morning, I totally flaked on Tuesday, and I am now paying for it.

Was Tage going to set something up? Or is writers-group.org it? Just wondering because I'm like that.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 06, 2003, 02:19:18 PM »
I haven't sent counts bacause I'm embarrassed at how far I am behind.  But I've learned something: I can only get about 1200 words down before I get hit with temproary ADD or something.  So the last couple of days when I've said to myself, "okay, I'm just gonna ram right thorugh this 'til I'm caught up" I fallen flat on my face after 1200.  So now I'm trying to do multiple 1200 word sittings in a day.  One early am, one evening, one late night.  Something like that.  I will definitely send a count today, caught up or not.  But so far, the plan is working well.

We'll see about more REGs.  They're fun to make.