Author Topic: Novel in a month  (Read 37885 times)

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
Re: Novel in a month
« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2003, 01:39:18 PM »
Hey Saint? Are we going to see you at the conference in April?

And in response to Kije's comment, I'm stressing about this because I want to convince myself how important this is. I have a habit of talking myself out of things.

I haven't started yet. I did not antcipate being exhausted at midnight (good thing my husband was there to drive). And Saturday a friend of mine was in town  that I wanted to visit. We watched fansubs of "Scrapped Princess" which has not yet been released to the US. And it gave me some good ideas of where I want to take my story. Today I need to set up my work space and get to it! I'm anticipating a late night in order to reach my daily goal of 2,500 words (it's so high because of Thanksgiving this month--I've got to get ahead so that I can afford to take a few days off if needed since my inlaws will be here at the MTC, and will be soon leaving for there mission in Mozambic [or however you spell that]).

I was going to start with the end of my story, but decided to do part of the end at the beginning. I'll have to wait and see if it was a good decision.

Is anyone else interested in starting an online writing group to go over our stories, once they are written?
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #136 on: November 03, 2003, 05:25:33 PM »
I've done about 1000 words today, and I'm hoping to get 1100 more by cob. THat'll catch me right up to 5000, leaving me on track for daily performance, and hopefully allowing me to get ahead in the next couple days.

Now,
What conference? General Conference? Probably not. I odn't anticipate ever flying out ot Utah just for General Conference. I feel I get more out of it in the comfort of my own home -- or at least, Idon't feel as guilty when I fall asleep.

ANd we can use writers-group.org for the discussion. I really do want feedback, though I'm going to need to at least proofread this thing before then. ANd I already know at least two scenes need major work. I think I may need work on pacing too, but I don't know if this is the time for that.

MoD, GET TO WORK! *cracks whip*

Getting ahead is always good, even if you don't have a specific reason yet: the unexpected always happens.

That second to last sentence confused me? You're ending at the beginning? Or beginning at the end? what?

Oh, and I'm pretty sure it's Mozambique.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 03, 2003, 05:38:56 PM »
I behind already!  I've only got 2000 words.  But it's truning out to be funner/harder than I thought it would be.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2003, 05:44:21 PM »
if you want it on the calander, you've got to let me know you wnat it on the calander. I officially assume Gemm does every time he tells me though, because he's communicated nearly as much before.
But I haven't heard back from anyone else.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2003, 05:45:40 PM »
With the Conference thing I was referring to GC, but because of your newest title.

I am at work! Oh, you mean on the story. Well, if I had a customer service job and all I had to do was answer phone calls, I'd be further along. But as it is I'm finishing programing an Access database and suffering from my own stupidy.

/me shakes head at herself.

I mean I'm putting a sort of prologue at the beginning that will repeat at the end. In fact it might even be better if the prologue is my character's brother's attempt to defeat the bad guy. Which is what she will do at the end. Hmm, that's a good idea. Thanks Saint.

What I was trying to say before was that I would have a scene at the beginning that is the start of the climax of the novel. But I like "your" idea better. Writing groups are great.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #140 on: November 03, 2003, 05:49:46 PM »
so, you have NO respect for me? I do more than answer the phone, I'll have you know. I also answer email and letters. SOme of which takes all day. I make time for what's important by ignoring what pays. I suggest you do the same.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2003, 05:58:20 PM »
You know, reading over that last post I realized that it is still pretty confusing.

What I'm trying to say is that I was planning to write a prologue where my character is walking up to try and defeat the bad guy. It would end on a cliff hanger like, "she could see the sword move was the double-cross thrust and no one was fast enough to block that move." And that would be the end of the prologue. And then it would be the same scene near the end of the novel, only by then the reader would know that she could block that move, etc. and she would defeat the bad guy.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2003, 05:59:42 PM »
/me laughs

It's a very good idea. But I've got three deadlines today. One which is late, and one which will be late in 30 mins.

I do have respect for you. I just don't have the leeway you do.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2003, 07:32:50 PM »
Alrighty. I just got home from Our Fantastic Legal System, and it's time to get a-writin'. 2000 words, comin' up.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 07:33:04 PM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2003, 08:53:08 PM »
SE, when you get on AIM get my current numbers and novel stuff.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #145 on: November 03, 2003, 08:58:07 PM »
Wow, this topic really took off...

First of all, good work all!  Looks like things are going well.  Don't worry if you're slow to start; you'll hit the rhythm soon enough.

Entropy:  Too bad you dropped out.  Also, too bad you live in the UK.  I have an extra laptop, after all.  I agree that you should do it by hand--I wrote my entire first novel by hand, then typed it into the computer.  Many authors still insist that writing by hand, then revising as you type into the computer, is the best way to get polished prose.  Also, for this activity, you wouldn't be tempted to revise as much.  

Everyone:  You know, if you wanted an easier less-SE-intensive way to display your progress, you could always just change your posting sig line.  You can change it easily in your profile, and it will change all of your posts to keep a running total.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #146 on: November 03, 2003, 09:08:03 PM »
Nothing in this world should be less SE intensive. That's a philosophy you can live by.

I intend to stay up tonight, btw, folks. So if you hop on your IMs, you should be able to see me.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #147 on: November 03, 2003, 09:18:10 PM »
So far, I have one line that I think is ever so clever. I will share:

"You two can argue over the couch. If one of you wants I have a spare bedroom too. "

Heh, it is good, no? One character telling the other two where they can sleep in his apartment.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #148 on: November 03, 2003, 10:08:54 PM »
I thought it was one character telling the other two where they could argue. Still funny, though.

I'm at 4269 and two rather short chapters. We'll see where this takes me tomorrow.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #149 on: November 03, 2003, 10:50:22 PM »
wow. I wish I was unemployed and could write like that.
Well, I'm about to give up on my chart, I thought that some people wanted it, but guess not.