Author Topic: More lousy fantasy novels optioned for movies  (Read 3232 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
More lousy fantasy novels optioned for movies
« on: March 12, 2004, 10:08:12 PM »
I like LOTR and all, but realy this is going too far.  Someone is actualy trying to make a Wheel of time movie.  They could make one a year and I'd be dead before they finish.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Onion of Death

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: More lousy fantasy novels optioned for movies
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 10:12:37 PM »
That kinda sickens me. Seriously, that's completely worthless. The only people who would go would be the WOT fanboys and those who have never read books. Or who don't distinguish between boring literature, and good literature. But, whatever they think wil sell...
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 10:15:49 PM »
..or infact most of the forum, since the general consensus is that the first one was really good. Moron.

But christ, thats a bit ambitious. The books would all occupy more than one film each!
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 10:21:36 PM »
Maybe the films will be vast vast abbreviations of the  novels.  How much time do the books spend where nothing actually happens?  WAAAAY too much.  Which is why they are so horrible.  If they took the general plot and turned it into a movie with all the chapters where everyone does nothing cut out, it might just work.  Maybe.

And entropy- I think the first one sucks, and the rest of them just suck more.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 10:27:32 PM »
General consensus. As in, I vaguely recall EUOL saying that and I didnt recall you saying that, so he won.  ;D
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 11:48:23 PM »
I also pointed out that the first 100 pages of the first one (all that I've read, which is MORE than a fair shake) were quite sucky.

From what I understand though, they could put books 6-10 into one film for all the plot that's in them.

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2004, 11:48:51 PM »
You have to admit, though.  One thing that makes Books-to-movies bad is the director trying to put WAAAYYY too much stuff into one little film.  Or just leaving out all the good parts in the books.  With WOT, that would never be a problem!   ;D
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2004, 06:51:18 PM »
The only people who would go would be the WOT fanboys and those who have never read books

Yes, of course.  The most successful, best-selling contemporary fantasy only deserves to be enjoyed  by 'fanboys.'  

And yes, Entropy, you quoted me correctly.  Thank you.  If the hordes of wanna-be writers I meet would sit down and study EYE OF THE WORLD, rather than just complain about how much Jordan sucks, my job as a writer would be a lot harder for the competition.  

Oh, and I agree generally that WOT probably won't make that great a movie.  However, someone has to do a 'Farmboy saves the world' movie.  I was kind of expecting Shannara.  Perhaps it's too similar to LOTR.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 06:51:36 PM by EUOL »
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2004, 07:17:09 PM »

If the hordes of wanna-be writers I meet would sit down and study EYE OF THE WORLD, rather than just complain about how much Jordan sucks, my job as a writer would be a lot harder for the competition.  

I'm really in the mood to make a snarky comment about how if I wanted to continue studying boring books that I hate, I'd go back for a Master's degree.

Instead I will post this link and say that I've already read enough books to CONQUER THE WORLD!

http://www.killoggs.com/getdata.php?image_id=4040
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 07:17:32 PM by fuzzyoctopus »

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2004, 07:36:03 PM »
Your on drugs arn't you?
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2004, 07:41:44 PM »
No, I'm just fed up to here and sick of people telling me what "good" writing is.  I don't care if it sold a million copies, it's lousy.  Faulkner is a horrible writer- he had an incredible way with symbolism, yes, and a brilliant mind probably, but his prose reads like it was written by a retarded chicken, and anyone who tries to convince me otherwise is a liar. I'm sick of people telling me what is and isn't good and Robert Jordan is just the tip of the totem pole.

And instead of going on a tirade against EUOL and his interesting opinions, (which he is perfectly entitled to) I'm trying to lighten the mood with humor, and saying that I have read all three of those books and I will beat that gorilla and take over the world first.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 07:48:35 PM by fuzzyoctopus »

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2004, 07:51:21 PM »
Yes I did mean You're instead of your. Which could mean your taking them, or standing on them (I tend to think the second)

Anyway, I was referring to the obscure comic reference which I thought was funny and not the RJ thing because  I don't read much fantasy anymore and have never cracked the cover of the Wheel of time.

You know what broke the straw for me? Guy Garival Kay's the Summer Tree.

Science Fiction, I read like its going out of style.

Thanks for the benefit of the doubt edit...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 07:52:14 PM by ElJeffe »

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2004, 07:58:15 PM »
No problem.  I just changed my sig instead.  ;o)  

Your/you're mistakes are one of my hugest pet peeves, they leap out at me from the page/screen and beat me about the head with a crowbar.  It's just really easy for me to snap, and it's not you I'm upset at, so I have no right to snap at you and be nasty by making fun of typos.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 08:07:02 PM by fuzzyoctopus »

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2004, 08:22:46 PM »
See I spell moderately well; but thats where I draw the line. And its been a long day of typing up reports and my brain gets lazy.

Besides "you're" isnt "moderately", so I cant spell it too well.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2004, 10:19:14 PM »
eh... even though I may know better, I can't help but feel a little jabbed at by EUOL's rant.

Yeah, i know he sells and bears examination if I want to sell to his target audience, but it's really hard. Just because he sells, doesn't mean he's good. *points at Brittney Spears*