Author Topic: More lousy fantasy novels optioned for movies  (Read 3251 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: More lousy fantasy novels optioned for movies
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2004, 10:47:04 AM »
its the covers
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2004, 11:53:10 AM »
Using EUOL's defintion of good ( something that appeals to it's intended audience) I think crack is doing a fabulous job.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 11:54:02 AM by House_of_Mustard »
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2004, 04:09:59 PM »
Yes, actually, I was thinking the same thing.  SE's reference to crack used 'good' in a moral sense, a concept which didn't factor into my definition at all.  I think writing can be good (my good) writing without being particularly moral.

For instance, I think GAME OF THRONES was very well-written.  However, moral issues made me not like the book very much.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2004, 04:19:48 PM »
ah, but that's why I won't use the term good in that context. I reserve it for other things.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2004, 12:40:28 PM »
The Scifi channel has greenlighted their Wizard of Earthsea series.
ftp://http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040107/nyw179_1.html
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2004, 12:50:23 PM »
I haven't read Earthsea since I was something like 12 or 13, but I remember not thinking it was lousy at the time.

On the other hand, I didnt think Piers Anthony was lousy at the time either, but he definitely is, so I could be wrong.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2004, 02:13:53 PM »
EUOL, what's your aesthetic opinion of crack?

Mine is crack, when looked at objectively, has more "cons" than it does "pros". It tears up your body, inhibits you from doing things you could have without the chemical, and at times makes you look like moron, sometimes a psychopath. It also allows you to ignore (but not cope with) pain, etc., and it makes you feel really good, estactic.

If a book ever did those sort of things to me, I would definately not read it.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2004, 04:58:30 PM »
It tears up your body, inhibits you from doing things you could have without the chemical, and at times makes you look like moron, sometimes a psychopath.

Replace "body" with "mind", and I've read books like that.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2004, 12:24:57 PM »
What we're really talking about here, or at least I am, is judging something's success based on intentions.  If you want something that destroys your body but makes you feel good for a brief but addicting period of time, then crack is a good choice.  

With books, however, it can't be that concrete.  You can prove what crack is doing to your body, but it's harder to prove that a book is a 'good' book.  

I guess this relates to the philosophy discussion going on elsewhere.  However, it is my argument that--in this case--opinion DOES create reality.  

Millions of people think Eye of the World is a good book.  SE thinks it's a bad book.  I say that while his aesthetic judgement may hold more value than that of some other people (he has, after all, studied this subject extensively) his pure opinion of enjoyment is no more valuable than that of another person.  Therefore, EOTW can be judged a 'good' book rather than a 'bad' book (assuming one looks at it in general terms.)  

SE says a 'good' book is one that he judges to be of value to himself.

I say a 'good' book is one that the greater number of people judges to be of value to them.

Yes, it's a simple matter of semantics.  Yes, I understand that everyone's opinion is subjective.  What I'm trying to do, however, is develop an argument to use against the literary establishment when they try to make value judgements on my behalf.  I want to prove that the process of bringing people joy through a well-told story is as valuable as their subjective criteria for literary excellence.

That doesn't devalue SE's opinion, especially if you limit your judging criteria.  If, for instance, one's criteria when looking for a book is not to seek for one that has been judged good by a large population, but one that has been judged good by a specialized segment with similar interests (such as the literary community) then the weight of evidence might judge the book to be 'bad' for you.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 12:25:55 PM by EUOL »

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2004, 04:03:06 PM »
EUOL, I was just trying to point out that it isn't exactly accurate to assume that when Saint classifies crack as "bad" he is doing so purely on a moral level.

Though, on the otherhand, moral judgements can be a

/me goes to the dictionary

legitimate criteria to detirmine a book's value. But now I'm confused, so nevermind.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 04:04:07 PM by Treyva »
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2004, 04:19:13 PM »
eh, i've come to the conclusion that EUOL and I just disagree on when to use a specific term. In casual conversation I'd even agree with him, but when forced to be precise, I never would using popularity. But the meaning he's using it for, I agree with. If that's not confusing. IE, i wouldn't use the specific term, but I agree with the sentiment. Just my druthers, I suspect.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2004, 04:21:47 PM »
I understand you, SE.  If we can't quibble over semantics, then what  business do we have getting degrees in the humanities. :)

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2004, 05:07:08 PM »
so we can be excellently well educated in areas that may or may not have any bearing whatsoever on our professional life?

I mean, a degree in Comparative Literature, and I'm doing helpdesk for color measuring equipment. I mean, if I actually SPOKE some of hte languages I can read, I can see it for a few of the people who called, but not nearly all of them....

At least I'll have something to chat about with my uncle Tom in June. He has a doctorate in Physics, optical physics specifically (he and his wife like TMBG too, they're good people)

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2004, 07:09:55 PM »
If we can't quibble over semantics, then what  business do we have getting degrees in the humanities. :)

Amen.

Hey, cool, someone quoted me. :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 07:10:20 PM by Treyva »