Author Topic: So what is everybody playing?  (Read 25656 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: So what is everybody playing?
« Reply #165 on: October 29, 2003, 01:45:02 PM »
I don't think you necessarily need paladins in this world, but the way you've tied the wild shape idea into your background is pretty cool. I agree with Spriggan--a paladin is just a combat version of a cleric, so turn your paladins into combat versions of the druid. Arguably that's what the Barbarian already is, but the wild shape idea is cooler.

Based on 3.5, here's my recommendation. Keep the basic Paladin class, but toss out Aura of Good, Detect Evil, Smite Evil, Lay on Hands, Turn Undead, and Remove Disease. Let them use the Druid spell list, and give them Wild Empathy, Woodland Stride, Trackless Step, and Wild Shape, all at the same levels the druid gets them at. Does that sound balanced?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Nicadymus

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 29, 2003, 11:05:38 PM »
That actually sounds like a good idea Fell. I will look things over and see if it works.  The one question that I still have is what about an alignment restriction?  Will they have to be true neutral, or just maintain an element of neutrality as the Druid does?
Boogie woogie woogie!!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #167 on: October 29, 2003, 11:07:26 PM »
I'd be inclined to leave it more open. But that's partially because I dislike alignment anyway

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #168 on: October 29, 2003, 11:44:21 PM »
I just got the "Book of Exalted Deeds" in the mail, and there's a prestige class that's almost a perfect paladin/barbarian mix. That's the route we didn't take, of course, but it's still pretty interesting.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 30, 2003, 08:07:28 PM »
Hey Fell which prestige class was it?  I will borrow Exalted from a friend and look it over, but I still think that I like the wild shape idea, so I am not going to throw it out until I can make a comparison between the two.

And there is nothing stating that there has to be only one style of paladin, so maybe both exist?  It would help in bringing some variety back to the divine spellcasting side of the house since we did nix both the cleric and the original paladin.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 08:09:44 PM by Nicadymus »
Boogie woogie woogie!!

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 31, 2003, 10:19:57 PM »
We played The Lord of the Rings last night!!!  This just might be just as kick-butt as our last LotR campaign even.  Here's the rundown on chapter 1 (I haven't named the campaign yet):

Soros the Bleak, a scholar studying under the Witch of Isengard arrives in Bree.  He bears a sealed letter that was given to him by the Witch to be delivered in Fornost, where he is travelling to.  As night falls and he is looking for an inn, he is accosted by strange creatures: orcish, but ghastly pale with empty eye sockets.  He is dragged into an alley and weapons are drawn.  He fends them off for a few seconds, but is overwhelmed.  Alerted by the noise, a fiery-haired pretty hobbit girl comes out of the inn brandishing a heavy tankard.  She throws it at one of them, knocking him silly.  The creatures clamber up the walls of the alley and are gone from sight within seconds.  The girl is Cyan Cullin, a friend of Soros' who had been worried when he did not show up at the inn when expected.  Soros, angered by the attack, tracks the creatures by the symbol painted on the hoods of their cloaks.  He askes all around the city until late at night.  Cyan goes with him to keep him from getting his throat slit.  

In a horribly seedy dive called The Brazen Sword, he spies somebody wearing an identical cloak.  The person is an emaciated begger, sunken eyed and gaunt faced, who is being set upon by a feral looking dwarf.  The dwarf is having angry words with the begger, whom he calls "orc-scum," while the gaunt man is trying to calm him down and draw attention away from himself.  Cyan intervenes and probably saves the life of the seedy begger, who is named Kouglar.  THe dwarf refuses to give his name.  

Kouglar tells Soros that he found the cloak outside of town and took it to keep warm.  He tells Soros he will show him where he found it, for a price.  The dwarf offers to go with them, saying he will be happy just to vent his rage on something.  Kouglar leads them to an ancient, crumbling ruin outside of Bree that was once a lodge.  He tells the others that sometimes he comes here to be alone and drink in peace.  Soros discovers an area of floor recently moved away.  They decend into labrynthine dungeons and discover a large room that was once a holding area for local criminals, but is now something darker.  It is now piled high with bones.  On a table they find documents written in what Soros recognizes immediately as Black Speech.  The only rune that he can make out clearly is the sigil for Ellesar.  

The blind orc-things return, scampering down the walls of the chamber like dozens of spiders.  They blow out a black powder that makes the heroes choke and start to black out, even as they fight for their lives.  Soros wraps his scarf across his nose and mouth, gaining a few good hits in against the creatures.  Suddenly, a high pitched keening whistle pierces the chamber.  The creatures shriek in pain, covering their ears.  They flee up the walls as a new figure enters with a silver whistle.  It is Kestral Brokksmere, known as "Kes," who is Cyan's adopted brother (his own parents dead by disease years ago).  Kes, a rare hobbitish warrior who had fought many campaigns against orc-kin, says the creatures were "uruk ungol," and that they are considered a bane even to other orcs.  He knows little else about them.  Soros suggests that they travel to the nearby new Orc land West of Fornost to learn more about them.  The dwarf howls in rage and blatently refuses.  Soros says he is traveling to Fornost anyway and plans to stop by the Orc land at any rate, even if they do not come with him.  Cyan says she will travel with him to keep him out of trouble.  Kes agrees as well.  Kouglar appreciates Soros being kind to him and Cyan keeping the dwarf from harming him, so he agrees to help in any way he can.  The dwarf remains undecided.

End of chapter 1.

For those of you who keep track, the first campaign started in 4A: 39.  This one begins in 4A: 88.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 01, 2003, 08:49:40 PM »
Sounds megacool slant.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 09, 2003, 09:26:24 PM »
Lord of the Rings, session 2

The group makes plans to travel to Fornost to deliver Soros' letter, and then to the Orc bastion of Grond for information on what the uruk ungol are doing in Bree.  They bond over pints at the Prancing Pony.  THe dwarf says he is called "Snaga," which is the orc word for "Slave."  He says that he had been enslaved by orcs since he was an infant and forced to fight wild beasts and rogue trolls in their fighting pits.  He eventually poisoned the orcs well and escaped captivity as an adult.  Since then he has been living in the wild, hunting lone orcs.  He eyes Kouglar darkly.  Cyan gets into a drinking contest with a band of Harad merchants and procedes to drink them under the table.  She tells the others that Harad do not drink in their own lands due to their holy beliefs.  

Soros recalls his apprenticeship to the Witch of Isengard, fro his days as an orphan at the monastery to his calling to study the forces of Shadow with the Witch.  He says that he is in training to see the signs of the Shadow and evil magics and how to fight against it.  Kouglar smiles knowingly, saying that he finds it ironic that the Witch of Isengard is training a witch hunter.  

The next morning they travel out of Bree through what was once Hobbit land.  Kes reveals that both of his grandparents fought against the armies of the Red Maw two generations back and were slain, leaving both his parents orphaned.  His own parents died of plague when he was very young, leaving him orphaned as well.  Cyan hugs him and tells him that she will never lket him be alone.

They arrive in Fornost unmolested.  The city is preparing for the Festival of the Wind, their yearly celebration of life and the harvest.  The big news is that the Prince of the Realm, Elessar's heir, is in Fornost to sign an agreement that will bind Elessar's kingdom to the Easterlings, Harad, and Orcs as brothers and allies.  The city of Fornost is filled with the dark and dusky desert tribes as well as the men of Arnor.  

A messenger bearing the sigil of Gondor approaches the group soon after they arrive and register.  He hands Soros an official looking scroll.   Soros is very surprised.  The guide takes them to the Silver Crescent Inn, one of the finest in the city.  It is elaborate and elegant, and Soros is given a luxurious suite.  His friends are also given rooms.  Soros is told that he is invited to the Festivel of the Wind in three days time.  His friends are also allowed, all at the behest of the Witch of Isengard.  As they settle in, Kouglar becomes increasingly uncomfortable.  He tells the others that he has been living in the gutters and shadows for as far back as he can remember and he feels very out of place amid such opulence.  He takes his leave of his friends and disappears to Strangerside.

That evening, Kouglar wanders the seamy streets of Strangerside and comes across a young boy, obviously lost, calling for his parents.  He feels an overwhelming desire to snatch the boy away and murder him.  He fights against the crippling urges, running deep into the mazelike back allys of Strangerside.

End of session.

This was a good role-playing session where we got to find out some backstory from each of the characters.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #173 on: November 10, 2003, 12:26:26 PM »
Nicadymus, sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. The class I was referring to is the "something or other of Gwynharwyf," I don't remember the first word. All of the classes in the book, though, are essentially cleric/paladin versions of other classes. I'll be reviewing that book sometime this week.

Slant, I finally got the Moria supplement from Decipher and all I can say is hot holy crap. That is a seriously nice box set. I remember you were talking about it before--do you have it or were you just lusting after it?

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 11, 2003, 10:50:59 AM »
Yes, I have it.  It is cool.  The world's largest dungeon crawl.  I'm trying to find a way to incorporate into my newest campaign, but since all the dwarves of Moria basically sealed their gates for all time and are considered non-existent in Arda at this point (with a possible handful of exceptions), it is going to be hard.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 12, 2003, 12:13:44 AM »
The class I was referring to is the "something or other of Gwynharwyf," I don't remember the first word.

That would be the Champion of Gwynharwyf.  It is essentially the barbarian's version of the Holy Liberator from Defenders of the Faith (Holy Lib being the chaotic good version of paladin).  Has Rage and Damage Reduction replace Turn Undead and Celestial Companion, otherwise almost identical abilities.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 26, 2003, 11:43:33 PM »
Session 3

A courier comes to the inn with Gondorian finery for Soros to wear.  He disdains the colorful elegant clothing, preferring his own simple and dark togs.  He does take a long black coat with silver brocade, though.  Snaga is offered clothing, but says that such soft gear is mrerely for weaklings to make them feel important.

Kes and Cyan travel to Strangerside to look for Kouglar and are surprised to meet their Uncle Einar, and aging hobbit who is the brother of Cyan's father and the one who unofficually adopted both her and Kes.  Having a shady past, he tells them that he cannpt say why he is here in case there are ears within the walls.  He shows them a number of tiny safe-houses he has in the area in case they should ever need them.  They find Kouglar unconscious amidst a trash heap.  He has blood on his hands, but they do not notice (or at least Kes and Cyan don't).  When awake, he recognizes the old hobbit and asks what Slip'ry Einar is going so far from Bree.  Einar dismisses it, saying his days of suspicious activity are long in his youth.  Kes asks how Kouglar and Einar know each other, and is met with an uncomfortable silence.

Later in the day, Kouglar tells Soros that he feels he is under a dark enchantment and asks Soros to use any magic he might have to discern the nature of it.  Soros cannot find any type of enchantment on him.

There is a terrible commotion in the street.  A band of orcs and a unit of Harad mercenaries are battling in the streets.  Blood is drawn as a Harad falls.  The battle erupts.  Citizens of the kingdom egg both sides on.  Snaga grabs his axes and rushed to hack some orc, but Soros and Kouglar stop him from getting involved.  Kes says they have to try to break up the fracas in case it brings a heavy shadow upon the ceremony in the morning.  He and Cyan rush to try to calm the participants.  Cyan is knocked over by a burly Harad.  She gets back up, goes over and uppercuts the big warrior in the groin, discovering one area the desert warriors keep unarmored.  The crowds part as a dozen Gondorian soldiers move towards the melee.  At their head is a huge, battle-scarred man, standing head and shoulders above the rest of the crowd.  He speaks sharply to both the orcs and the Harad in their own tongues.  They stand down.  Kouglar and Einar both hasten to make themselves scarce as men wearing the royal livery of Elessar begin to fill the street.  Soros turns to Kouglar and points at the retreating figure of the giant, saying that he thinks that this is the person the Witch sent him to contact.

End of (quite short) session

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 02, 2003, 11:58:52 PM »
Session 4

There are grumblings in Fornost about the orcs and Harad in the city.  A Rhunite procurer tries to stir up trouble saying that the Westrons are morally loose and should all learn the discipline of the lash.  Many take offense at this, but the Rhunite has several large bodyguards.  Kouglar quietly asks the procurer how HE would feel under the lash, postulating that he would cry like a little girl.  The procurer turns scrlet and orders his top bodyguard, a slim, steely fellow covered in robes and a hood, to teach Kouglar a lesson.  He steps forward.  When Kouglar does nothing but stare back cooly, the bodyguard steps back.

The festival begins.  It is a beautiful day.  Farmers all offer up a part of their crops to help feed the city.  The characters see the Prince, Eldarion, talking to the huge man from the night before.  Kes asks Soros who he is.  Soros says he is known as the Hound of Elessar and his name is Kjartan.  Soros goes to speak with him just as Kjartan is finishing talking with a pallid, sepulchral looking man dressed in a suit of Gondorian armor not used for nearly a century back.  Einar is using the festival as a way to talk to several highly influential landowners concerning a way to protect them from the rising threat of crime in Fornost.  Soros meets with Kjartan and gives him the sealed scroll from the Witch of Isengard.  Kjartan offers to teach Soros a thing or two about a blade.  Soros asks if Kjartan is really as old as the stories say.  Kjartan laughs and mutters something vague.  

A Gondorian soldier rushes to Kjartan and tells him something.  The Hound of Elessar cries out and departs swiftly.  Soros rushes after him.  They go to Eldarion's chambers and find the crown prince dead from a slit throat.  The sigil of the Rhunic god of destruction is carved into his forhead.  Kjartan explodes.  The guards swear nobody came in or out of his rooms.  Einar, entering quietly, notes the rain grate just over the fountain in the antechamber of the prince's suite.  Even though the chambers are four stories up, it is the only way anybody could have entered.  

Soros advises Kjartan to tell the crowds that the king is ill and the prince needed to attend his father and so left the festivel quickly.  As the Gondorians try to calm the crowd, an anonymous voice rings out that the prince has been murdered by a Rhunite slaymaster.  Hysteria.

Cyan spots a masked Rhunite skulking in the shadows.  In seconds a dozen well armed warriors are chasing the figure through the city, including Snaga, Kes, and the Rhunite bodyguard.  They chase the suspect beyond the city gates where he has been met by other cloaked Easterlings.  The Rhunites fight with mighty bows and poisoned arrows.  The Rhun bodyguard remarks that these are not actually Rhunites they are figting, as the tactics and weapons are all wrong.  The false-Easterlings are slain after a pitched battle.  They are unmasked and turn out to be those strange Uruk-Ungol.

In Fornost, Kouglar discovers a bloody dagger in his boot with no idea how it got there.

End of session.  This one had a lot of stuff happening, unlike the last two.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Slant of the rings
« Reply #178 on: December 24, 2003, 01:02:52 AM »
FYI
Slants first LOTR Gaming summary is 28 pages in Microsoft word.
My my my.
So thanks to him I bought LOTR RPG.
More thanks to him I have an Idea of how to weild it.
could be great fun.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 25, 2003, 02:38:14 PM »
Glad you liked it, Doc :)

And just so you all know, my LotR campaign has not died off (as you may have thought since I have not posted any updates for nearly a month).  My wife was ill, then the holidays came with all the madness that they entail, so I have not had a chance to get online much or game as often.  We HAVE played two more sessions since last I posted and will be doing another within a week, which will bring the game up to it's 7th session.  An update IS coming soon.

Also, I have been working, at the behest of a mate of mine, on a rpg that is intended to introduce young children (aged 6-10 or thereabouts) to the hobby.  The game, a very simple superhero one, is at this stage just called HERO.  I have run three sessions with 3-4 children playing at each session.  They are having a lot of fun, but it appears that time is a major factor in the success of the game.  Unlike with adults, I have found that a HERO session can't go for more than 90 minutes  at the very, very most.