Author Topic: So what is everybody playing?  (Read 25659 times)

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
Re: So what is everybody playing?
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2003, 01:35:54 AM »
FINAL SESSION

The characters stay in Aman for an unspecified period of time.  Kjartan speaks with Legolas and Gimli, both of who fought against the undead, and gives them news concerning their old friend Aragorn's rule.  Erinel plays chess with an ancient hobbit and narrowly beats him.  The old hobbit  rewards her with an autographed copy of There and Back Again as she realizes that it is Bilbo Baggins.  In time they leave the Undying Lands, but they are forever changed.  The mortals who fought in defense of Aman will find their lifespans significantly lengthened.  The elves who return to Middle Earth, very few, find themselves with an aura of majesty that awes most mortals.

They eventually arrive back in Gondor to find that they have been away for nearly 40 years.  Aragorn, beginning to weaken with age but still sharp-witted, is saddened to learn of the passing of his old friend Gandalf.  For his huge part in organizing the forces of Gondor and acting as the king's representative, Kjartan is made High Envoy of the kingdom, to be treated as if her were an extension of King Elessar himself.  Tark is invited to rule in the North as the lord of Fornost, but he declines.  Tark takes his leave and disappears from history, at least for awhile.

Erinel and less than 200 elves, all that remain in Middle Earth, settle in Eregion.  Erinel, tur to the pact she made with the spirits of the land, becomes the new caretaker of the once great elf wilderness.  Cirion, now a soldier without a war, becomes her consort.  The mysterious white elf, having survived near certain death by the merest thread, accompanies her kin to Eregion, but choses to live apart,, hiding herself in her sorrow in the dense wild lands.  She is named "Engwath" by the other elves, which means "Pale Shadow."  It refers both to her albino  countenance and enigmatic demeanor as well as the fact that since the death of her husband she has become a mere reflection of the cunning and unstoppable individual that she once was.

Ain-Ain is given stewardship of Isengard to protect it from those who would seek to mine it's knowledge for evil purposes.  In time her name is all but forgotten and she is simply known as the Witch of Isengard.  She devotes her vastly extended lifespan to learning all of Saruman's secrets, in particular the whereabouts of the two remaining Istari.

The surviving dwarves return to Moria and seal the great gates behind them for all time.

the remaining hobbits settle in Forlindan where they become great sailorsand merchants.  the hobbits of Forlindan become known in future generations as the Seawise.  Many of the hobbits who once lived in the now wasted Shire settle in the area around Bree, which is fast becoming a major power in the Northlands.

As promised, Aragorn gives the land of Angmar to the Haradin and Rhunites where they build a great Caliphate created when a prince of Harad married an Easterling sultana.

Orc tribes come down from the Grey mountains, fleeing a powerful foe that they wil not speak of.  They settle in the lands West of Angmar in Upper Arnor.  For many yers there are skirmishes between the outlanders of Angmar, the folk of Fornost, and the orcs.  the rangers appear for the first time in generations to patrol the borderlands and keep the orcs or the outlanders from becoming a threat to Elessar's kingdom.  Aiding the rangers is a warrior who is known only as the Dead Man, a grim figure who died yet still walked and went on to fight the threat of the Harbinger across middle Earth and into the Undying Lands.  He is treated with a superstitious dread by the orcs, who flee at the mere thought that he might be in the vicinity.  The people of Fornost and Bree regard him with only slightly less awe and trepedation.

Umbar is now held by the undead and has become a dark and dangerous plae for the folk of gondor.  The rangers watch Umbar as well, ready to fight if need be.  umbar is ruled by a powerful entity known solely as Vlsotholis, who has made no moves against Gondor either foul or friendly.  The creatures of Umbar seem content to rule themselves away from the rest of the kingdoms of Man for now.

And there are times where a lone wanderer has been sighted aross the land from anywhere from Bree, to Gondor, to Eregion, to the Northern Wastes: a small, dark hobbit who's eyes gleam with wisdom like the Istari of old....

Well, that's it.  It's over.  I feel so drained and a little sad.  It's kinda like losing an old friend who you knew would leave one day.  In the next few days I will be posting my final thought on how the campaign developed vs. how I thought things would go.

In the meantime, please give me feedback.  What did you all think?  Did it seem like we captured the spirit of Middle Earth?  Was it too combat intensive?  What did you think of the characters/NPC's/villains?  What did you think of the way it all turned out?  Let me know.

Peace.

"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #121 on: August 18, 2003, 03:03:29 AM »
Hey, it sounds like it was fun. And with the way you used those names, it seems like things were sticking well together. Anyway someone could put the whole summaries and everything in a nice document file? That'd be great. Yeaaaah.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #122 on: August 18, 2003, 01:29:26 PM »
I thought it was great. I'm very interested in the mechanics of play, specifically advancement. How fast did you advance the players, and how tough did they get by the end? What is your opinion of the advancement rules (I think they look good, but I've never actually played them so I bow to your superior experience)?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2003, 05:15:31 PM »
there's fell, asking for another review :)

I really enjoyed reading it. It was your game summaries that convinced me to purchase a copy of LOTR RPG, which I think is quite smart. So I would say you role played and captured the spirit well.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2003, 07:54:41 AM »
So here is my comments.

1) For me the whole point of playing LoTR as opposed to, say, D20 greyhawk is the epic atmosphere. Reading your summaries, i didnt get that feeling a lot. Maybe you were using the combat to bring that across, with the descriptions of locations, both of which have almost negligable impact in the summary format you used. And i could not say how one would bring that feeling across.
2) You did not use too much combat; after all, FoTR is almost a series of connected fights. And with such powerful characters it is to be expected. A question; how did you handle the huuuge armies? Did you just say what was dramatically appropriate, or did you have the characters have a overlarge effect on the battles? Or even play games of the tabletop game to determine the outcome? (You could have used warhammer undead models, with goblin stats).
3) Your posts make me want to go buy the game. But since i have no less than 3 RPG books to finish, and another 3 books to read after that, it aint gonna happen soon.

Good stuff overall. Give us a forum version!
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2003, 05:04:01 PM »
I have to disagree, Entropy, on most counts.

I think the story was epic, end of the world, fighting nearly unstoppable enemies, interacting with legendary characters... what wasn't epic?

ANd combat. FotR the MOVIE made it seem more like a string of battles, but the book doesn't even come CLOSE to that sort of genre.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #126 on: August 19, 2003, 11:09:04 PM »
Slant, that campaign rocked!

I wish I could have played in it.  It was a sweeping epic that felt very much like LOTR.  So many people try to run Middle Earth and somehow miss the mark, but you seem to have nailed it on the head.  

Great work.

But now that its ended we won't have anymore write ups to read  :'(

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2003, 12:14:23 AM »
Wow, thanks for all the favorable comments.  To try to answer some of your questions:

Entropy, the large scale battles were done in a combination of 3 ways: using a modified version of the old TSR (remember them) Battlesystem, conducting normal LotR skirmishes with small groups or characters and foes and then generalizing the effects to the larger battle, and using common sense as to who had the advantages such as terrain knowledge, fatigue (or lack of fatigue in the case of the undead), or which side was likely to pull off a sweeping mass attack before the other.  I also used some Warhammer rules in the larger battles, just 'cause it was a system and concept that we were all familiar with.

Fell, the advancements started slowly with the players gaining one advancement every four sessions or so.  once the mass carnage began and the characters were active in actually trying to save the world the play became more dramatic with more risk-taking, and the advancements came quicker; generally every 3 sessions or so.  By the end, the characters were all around 12-14 advancements.  They were highly skilled, but still far from legendary status.  With their increased life spans, they should be able to build on the powerful foundation that they have at this point.  It is rather hard to compare player characters to established characters in the books and films.  To put things in perspective, Elrond had 150 advancements to Gandalf's mere 66 and Bilbo's almost laughable 10.  I think the system worked well and allowed for more complex, multifaceted characters rather than the type that gain set skills and abilities per level.

And now for some of my own thoughts and comments:

The biggest problem I had was with the combat.  in the first half of the campaign it wasn't any problem an we actually went for a period of weeks without ANY fighting.  The last half though was combat intensive.  While I understand that the vast bulk of Tolkein's works involve a series of wars against the Shadow dating back to when Morgoth stole the Silmarils, I have always tried to reward the players who find more indirect ways of dealing with conflict.  By the time the major fighting started, all of the characters had already been pretty much fleshed out through role-play, but nearing the end I felt like I was running a game of Warcraft, or even Gauntlet.

Another big problem I had was how to involve major characters such as Aragorn and Gandalf without making them the focus of the game.  I think I was able to pull it off, but I still was always a little bit leery whenever one of the "big guns" was directly involved in a scene.  Strangely enough, though, i didn't feel that way with Manwe.  Although he is, effectively, a demigod, I felt like I was able to play a bit more fast and loose when it came to the strange and mystical Undying Lands as opposed to the more concrete Middle Earth.

Also, following the initial few sessions I already had an idea in my head as to which characters were going to be the big heroes of the campaign.  Tamar, with his incredible charisma and leadership skills was a natural.  So was Auric, the cool, quiet, resourceful loner who seemed almost like a prototypical adventure hero.  Both characters were real focal points in that all of the other characters seemed to respond to and play off them very well.  It was harder to do with characters like Ain-Ain and Kogali who definitely did not play well with others.  When Alan wanted to quit playing Tamar he said that he loved the character but hated not being able to wade into combat like others could.  He ended up with Kjartan, a character who was similar in some ways when it came to leadership and determination, but who was still very much a Conan style character. Alan was quite happy with the switch.  Auric's death was a shock for me. I could have wimped out and said that Auric survived, but he took almost 3 times the damage he could have and I allowed him to survive until he could clear his name.  He died a very honorable death saving the elf lord.  In fact, noe of the deaths were cheap deaths.  They were all in character and all helped to advance the plot.  The players who lost characters got to play incredibly powerful NPC's such as Kalouran and Cirion, where they got to just cut loose with magic and high levels of combat skill.  

I have a few more comments, but let me think a day or so as to how I want to verbalize them.

Peace.

"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 24, 2003, 09:57:25 PM »
Okay, so now that the campaign is over, the question is what to do when next we play LotR.  I will never run another LotR campaign, simply because I don't think anything else could top what we spent the better part of a year doing.  The big question is this:  when we play next, do we keep our old characters or start new ones?  I am thinking that we should all start over with newbies and let the other, older characters stay in the games as NPC's who have gained legendary status in Middle Earth much the same as Aragorn, Legolas, Bilbo and their ilk.  Not only would it make all the characters the same level all over again, but it would give the players the warm, glowy feeling of knowing that their old characters are really "somebodies" in the campaign.  

I'm hoping to pick up the Moria boxed set in the near future, so maybe I will start up a new campaign involving all the players as dwarves.  Off the top of my head I see the dwarves of Moria having sealed themselves away from the outside world following the war against the Harbinger.  One thousand years later, they break the seals and once again enter the lands of Middle Earth, only to find that it is now very..... different.  How different?  Well, there are no other races but humans. Also, magic is unkown and the humans have developed into a Reneissance society.  So where do the dwarves fit in now?  Well, we'll see.

Oh, and I have been reading some really cool games lately.  If you've yet to pick up the Midnight rpg, I strongly suggest that you do so.  It is a wicked cool game with a great setting and loads of new gaming concepts.  I've also gotten the Warcraft rpg and it really shines in terms of background, conflict, racial differences, and primitive technology.  Mayhaps I will try running one of those games in the near future.

Peace

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2003, 12:31:46 AM »
yeah, new characters, but I still think you could run it again.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2003, 05:14:43 PM »
How about Morgoth vs modern day humanity? Orcs... with shotguns.

And then the Elves sail back...
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 30, 2003, 11:37:07 PM »
I was flipping trough the bargain box at ye olde game shoppe and picked up a handful of stuff for a buck each: Zero, Tank Girl, Maelstorm, Wizards, and the original Hong Kong Action Theatre.  Enough gaming juice to keep me up and running until I want to run another LotR game, all for five bucks!!  

I am going to put my group through a game of Zero tomorrow night.  I decided on Zero because, well, it was the shortest to read and character creation literally takes about two minutes.  For those of you who have never seen it before, Zero is a game that takes place in a vast underground society complex of technology run amok.  The society is made up of thousands of cybernetically altered humans who are all psionically linked to the all-powerful creator of the complex, Zero, who keeps them all in a state of blissful obediance through the use of a psionic hive-mind state called The Unity.  The player characters are all individuals who have somehow become disconnected from The Unity and Zero and thus see the Complex for what it really is: a vast network of dark caves and ominous architechture maintained by mind-controlled slaves.  That's the whole premise of the game, folks.  Everything else the GM has to come up with on his own.  I have an idea that I am kicking around in my head and plan to spring on the players tomorrow.  I'll let you all knowhow it goes.  I just wanted to kow: Have any of you either ran/played Zero or have you heard anything at all about the game?  Since I am essentially walking into it cold, i just wanted some feedback.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #132 on: August 31, 2003, 08:15:06 AM »
It sounds like a serious version of Paranoia

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #133 on: August 31, 2003, 01:10:36 PM »
Is there a review of Paranoia on the site? Someone I know is bidding on some Paranoia stuff. I think some 2nd edition stuff and some 5th edition stuff. But ya, wheres the review for Paranoia??
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #134 on: August 31, 2003, 04:46:12 PM »
I'll add it to the list. It's an oop game, which is why it hasn't received attention before.