Author Topic: Another Possibility For the HOA  (Read 11648 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Another Possibility For the HOA
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2008, 11:23:17 PM »
lol yah there is no such thing as too rich. Look at it this way; Rowling is to the average american as the average american is to a dirt poor homeless kid in Africa. They look at us and say "you have so much you are so rich how could you want more?" We look at her and do the exact same thing.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2008, 11:29:07 PM »
I can't stop laughing. That was one of the most dead on analogies I’ve ever heard and also hilarious.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2008, 12:13:33 AM »
She has contributed money and handwritten autographed works to a bunch of charities, so I'm not going to be the one to call her greedy. She said she told Steve Kloves about Dumbledore being gay, so until he comes out and dispells this 'lie' I will choose to believe it. For me it's simple; I will take her at her words until I see proof otherwise; she has given me no cause to doubt her and I am not one to fall for conspiracy theories because they sound neat.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2008, 12:35:47 AM »
I would like to add one more thing before I get on my flight. I don't think these are the actions of someone that would 'out' a character just to make themselves money. With that, I will derail the OP's topic no more.

In 2000, Rowling established the Volant Charitable Trust, which uses its annual budget of £5.1 million to combat poverty and social inequality. The fund also gives to organizations that aid children, one parent families, and multiple sclerosis research. Rowling said, "I think you have a moral responsibility when you've been given far more than you need, to do wise things with it and give intelligently."

Rowling, once a single parent herself, is now president of the charity One Parent Families, having already become their first Ambassador in 2000. Rowling collaborated with Sarah Brown, wife of British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, to write a book of children's stories to aid One Parent Families.

In 2001, the UK anti-poverty fundraiser Comic Relief asked three bestselling British authors – cookery writer and TV presenter Delia Smith, Bridget Jones creator Helen Fielding, and Rowling – to submit booklets related to their most famous works for publication. Rowling's two booklets, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Quidditch Through the Ages, are ostensibly facsimiles of books found in the Hogwarts library. Since going on sale in March, 2001, the books have raised £15.7 million ($30 million) for the fund. The £10.8 million ($20 million) they have raised outside the UK have been channeled into a newly created International Fund for Children and Young People in Crisis.

In 2005, to improve the lot of vulnerable children in eastern Europe, Rowling and MEP Emma Nicholson founded the Children's High Level Group. In January 2006, Rowling went to Bucharest to highlight the use of caged beds in children's mental institutions. To further support the CHLG, Rowling auctioned one of seven handwritten and illustrated copies of The Tales of Beedle the Bard, a series of fairy tales referred to in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The book was purchased for £1.95 million by on-line bookseller Amazon.com on 13 December 2007, becoming the most expensive modern book ever sold at auction. Rowling commented "This will mean so much to children in desperate need of help. It means Christmas has come early to me." Rowling will give away the remaining six copies to those who have a close connection with the Harry Potter books. In 2008, Rowling agreed to publish the book with the proceeds going to the Children's High Level Group.

In May 2008, bookseller Waterstones asked Rowling and 12 other writers (Sebastian Faulks, Doris Lessing, Lisa Appignanesi, Margaret Atwood, Lauren Child, Richard Ford, Neil Gaiman, Nick Hornby, Michael Rosen, Axel Scheffler, Tom Stoppard and Irvine Welsh) to compose a short piece of their own choosing on a single A5 card, which would then be sold at auction in aid of the charities Dyslexia Action and English PEN. Rowling's contribution was an 800-word Harry Potter prequel that concerns Harry's father, James Potter and godfather, Sirius Black, and takes place three years before Harry was born. Rowling claims that she does not intend to return to Harry Potter for at least ten years. The cards will be collected together and sold for charity in book form in August 2008.

Rowling has contributed money and support for research and treatment of multiple sclerosis, from which her mother died in 1990. In 2006, Rowling contributed a substantial sum toward the creation of a new Centre for Regenerative Medicine at Edinburgh University. On 1 August and 2 August 2006 she read alongside Stephen King and John Irving at Radio City Music Hall in New York City. Profits from the event were donated to the Haven Foundation, a charity that aids artists and performers left uninsurable and unable to work, and the medical NGO Médecins Sans Frontières. In May 2007, Rowling gave $495,000 to a reward fund of over $4.5 million for the safe return of a young British girl, Madeleine McCann, who disappeared in Portugal. Rowling, along with Nelson Mandela, Al Gore, and Alan Greenspan, wrote an introduction to a collection of Gordon Brown's speeches, the proceeds of which are donated to the Jennifer Brown Research Laboratory.
moustaches on the other.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2008, 12:47:51 AM »
In 2000, Rowling established the Volant Charitable Trust, which uses its annual budget of £5.1 million to combat poverty and social inequality. The fund also gives to organizations that aid children, one parent families...

It always goes back to the poor homeless children in Africa doesn't it...no jk and i agree we have totally destroyed the OP's thread. I would continue this conversation but i resist.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2008, 05:33:23 PM »
Actually, this has nothing to do with the OP.  The Rowling tangent started a few posts later.  This topic is supposed to be about the plausibility of Elend and Vin having a child who will turn out to be the HOA.  I don't think it fits timewise, but that's just my opinion.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2008, 10:21:54 PM »
Keep to the subject of Elend and Vin having a child, please. This is not the thread for Rowling-bashing.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2008, 10:27:45 PM »
The OP may have been spot on. Judging by MB3 Chapter 1, Elend is starting to let himself go and Vin isn't around; as an allomancer she was used to being barefoot, soooo....
moustaches on the other.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2008, 10:35:39 PM »
The OP may have been spot on. Judging by MB3 Chapter 1, Elend is starting to let himself go and Vin isn't around; as an allomancer she was used to being barefoot, soooo....
OP?

Wait. . . what does her being barefoot and chapter 1 have in common? That makes NO sense.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2008, 10:42:27 PM »
OP means original poster.

I think Andrew is referring to the term "barefoot and pregnant," which may explain why Vin isn't in chapter one.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2008, 10:47:43 PM »
OP means original poster.

I think Andrew is referring to the term "barefoot and pregnant," which may explain why Vin isn't in chapter one.
Oh.  Well I don't think that the set up for her being pregnant just for the sake of that one phrase would be set up since book one.  That just seems too. . . .overdone. 

I still don't think she is pregnant or had a kid.  I think she is just busy with other things in the world and they are spreading their power around.  Also don't think this is the real Elend.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2008, 11:07:10 PM »
I'll make sure to include smiley faces etc. in the future to make sure that posts aren't taken too seriously when they are obviously jokes.
moustaches on the other.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2008, 06:02:31 AM »
Wow, this argument has gotten fairly intense.
I think it's rather likely that Vin and Elend have had or are going to have a child, after all, there's no form of birth control that we know of, and it would certainly explain Vin's absense.  It also lead me to believe she's pregnant (if not she could leave the child with someone she trusts), or is just uber paranoid about leaving it, that could also cause Elend to toughen up a bit.   
As for what could a three month old child do, how old was Jesus when he began to change the world :)
So ya, I think a child is possible, but the only thing that makes me think no, is it doesn't seem like something Brandon would do, but who knows, he did just have a baby of his own, although he completed this story before that so who knows.
EDIT:  And I don't think that the child is the hero, that just doesn't seem likely to me, especially after chapter 1's bump.  And now I'm thinking maybe there is a child, or one on the way, it seems like some of the twist brandon would just love, and think of the character development, Vin goes from untrusting abandoned child to soon-to-be mother, the tensions would be crazy!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 06:04:27 AM by Comatose »
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2008, 11:23:22 PM »
Frankly, Vin being pregnant would just annoy me more than anything else. And who says there's no form of birth control? Just because we haven't seen it doesn't mean there isn't one.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2008, 12:50:11 AM »
I agree with Andrew on this one.  It would just be bothersome and irritating to read if she was pregnant.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。