Author Topic: Another Possibility For the HOA  (Read 11520 times)

Elariel

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Another Possibility For the HOA
« on: August 07, 2008, 09:28:35 PM »
Hey everybody. I've been rereading the books and I came up with a few musings that I don't think have been suggested yet (If they have I'm really sorry!)

For the identity of the Hero of Ages... how about a child of Vin and Elend's? Since allomancy is hereditary, their baby could be one of the most powerful mistborns ever. No, I don't think the book will extend over many years and turn all next gen, but I do think that such a baby would have great potential and be a potential target, causing all kinds of events and motivating many people (such as its parents) to act in ways that would, somehow, save the world. (Kind of like the movie Willow). Thoughts???

My biggest problem with this theory is the idea of Vin pregnant is both hilarious... and kind of unimaginable.

Also have we discussed who we think will die in HOA? Sanderson has proved he's not afraid to kill major characters. My bets are Sazed and Marsh. (Though if I'm right I will mourn them both.)

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
Re: Another Possibility For the HOA
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 09:51:04 PM »
I think the only logical thing to say first is WILLOW!!! Another great I thought lost in time.

Second I could see a child of the two being important, I mean the childs mother would be Vin possibly the best Mistborn alive and also the killer of TLR and unwilling patron of a religion, and its father would be king and also a mistborn. Its a safe assumtion that if all things work out and everyone survives to see this through that the child would be of some import. There inlies the issue. Like you say EUOL isnt affraid to off major people in the story and also in HoA i feel the story going beyond Luthandel. This leads me to think that all things that are probably going to influence the major story line will happen with the current crew plus of minus a few. Not that the things you suggest arent possible I just think that if we ever see anything to do with this idea it would end with like Vin pregnant and Elend dead or something of the sort.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 10:05:45 PM »
Too far away for the book, seeing as HoA takes place one year after then end of WoA. So, while a child of Vin and Elend's may have an impact on the future, I doubt we'll see it. Besides, I personally believe that one of the two will die, so that makes the having a child thing rather difficult.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 10:09:33 PM »
Too far away for the book, seeing as HoA takes place one year after then end of WoA. So, while a child of Vin and Elend's may have an impact on the future, I doubt we'll see it. Besides, I personally believe that one of the two will die, so that makes the having a child thing rather difficult.

That makes it seem plausible.  They do get married in the second book, and one year is more than 9 months away.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 10:13:40 PM »
Yes... and a 3 month old baby is going to do what, exactly?
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 10:13:47 PM »
Well put Andrew, I wholeheartedly agree. I too think one of the two will die. Also I doubt the book will end with an epilogue that jumps that far into the future. It would be kinda cool maybe to see a follow up novel in the future, but I think I would rather a follow up to Elantris first.

It may be possible but I find it un-likely. Sometime during the characters attempting to save the world Vin becomes pregnant and their child has importance. Come on I know we make a habit out of far flung ideas and the such but this is a little too much for me.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 10:59:53 PM »
Yes... and a 3 month old baby is going to do what, exactly?

Be kidnapped and held for ransom.

Be threatened with kidnapping or assassination.

Be sacrificed for an Inquisitor.

That's just devil's advocate, though.  I really don't think a child is likely.
He ate my horse.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 12:05:59 AM »
I personally dont think a child will be included but Elariel makes a good point. Vin is an extremely powerful Mistborn and theoretically Elend is also very powerful. A child of theirs would be incredibly powerful. With that said i doubt Sanderson will stretch that far into the future.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 12:18:28 AM »
He could always include it in the Potteresque epilogue

:)

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 12:20:36 AM »
God no. For all we know he would come out later and say something like TLR was gay. Just to make waves. Not that the orientation had any effect on the story or the character just to be edgy

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 12:49:39 AM »

that is actually the first thing i thought of when i read these posts  :D
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 04:38:42 AM »
God no. For all we know he would come out later and say something like TLR was gay. Just to make waves. Not that the orientation had any effect on the story or the character just to be edgy
I MUCH agree with Sanderson's blog about this, and I DON'T think you should criticize Rowling for a character being who he is.

Here is the article.

I would rather a follow up to Elantris first.
I would NOT want to see that.  The book is an amazing epic as it stands.  I at first wanted to know what happened next, but then I realized that by forcing a sequel it could take a lot away from the rhetoric of the book.  However, a prequel, or publications that would go deeper into the religions would be kinda fun to read.  Like, short e-books or something.

On the note of this thread.  Kid = just no.  I won't happen, it would be WAY out of no where and is just not Brandon's style. . . I don't think.

As far as someone dying, I don't think it will be Vin or Elend. . . but I do see Sazed dying.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 04:56:55 AM »

*Begins Crying*

Elariel

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 05:17:22 AM »
I was thinking more along SarahG's lines, with the baby being endangered or something (because of its great potential) and that setting off a chain reaction. Vin's extremely dangerous when she's feeling protective (attack on Cett's troops anyone?).

However I do realize the idea is farfetched. I love farfetched ideas. When I read someone theorizing that the kandra gave Kelsier the eleventh metal so humanity would be destroyed my first thought was... wow! what a cool idea!

As for Potteresque epilogue... disaster. Nothing would be more scaring than reading about little Vinlend spawn scampering off to the newly established Allomany school. Ugh.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 05:22:51 AM »
Ha ha!

Vinlend!?!?!?!  LOVE IT!
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。