Author Topic: Call for Articles  (Read 34424 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Call for Articles
« Reply #150 on: May 01, 2004, 09:48:39 AM »
sounds good, I've been wanting to know how good 50 fanthoms was.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Onion of Death

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 01, 2004, 11:10:54 AM »
Am I allowed to review stuff? I want to do a review of the game UFO: Aftermath. I'd love to finally do something for this place.
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 01, 2004, 11:31:10 AM »
Sure ya are.... Just submit it on the main page
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #153 on: May 01, 2004, 11:34:37 AM »
ANyone can submit a review. Just remember that submitting a review doesn't mean we'll actually run it. If you wish to write a review, your chances of seeing us post the review increase if you do the following things:

1) write clearly and make valid points. Seriously. The more I have to edit just to make it legible, the more I'll either delete or recommend it be deleted. I know some of us have attrocious grammar and spelling on the board, but when we submit an article, we do a lot better. It does NOT have to be perfect, just clear.

2) read a lot of previous reviews to get a feel for what sorts of things to talk about and how to structure it. EUOL has come up with some formats for books and web comics, and if you do those, it's best to use those formats exactly.

3) review the TWG submission guidelines. Make sure you understand them and follow them.

4) use the Submit and Article page to submit it. That's the best way to make sure we both see it and remember its around. If you have special instructions, include them there and make them obvious so we notice them. Please do HTML formatting if you know it so that we have less work to do.

If you do all those things, and the review is clearly more than just a fan rant, then it'll probably get posted.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #154 on: May 01, 2004, 12:04:21 PM »
Hey, SE, I'm still working on reading that book you sent me, but for when I'm done, can you point me to EUOL's guidelines for books--or rather, is there a formal one like the guidelines? I'll look at the book reviews themselves again to be sure, but I was just wondering if there were a page like the guidelines for books, since books aren't specifically mentioned.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #155 on: May 01, 2004, 12:07:43 PM »
Also note that if there are things that need to be changed that I'll contact you via e-mail (since it's a VG reveiw) and suggest what would need to be changed.  Oh, and please, please don't just copy another review.  We got that a few weeks ago.  It has to be your writting, you can post quotes from other places, just not other reveiws (unless its from our site).
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 01, 2004, 01:39:10 PM »
I am still clueless about the HTML. Do I absolutely need to include it?

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 01, 2004, 01:41:08 PM »
no, but you should put in <p> every time you want to create a paragraph,... unlike me. :)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #158 on: May 01, 2004, 03:59:15 PM »
the most basic HTML is to put a <P> at the beginning of each paragraph. IF that's the oNLY formatting you do, it's still wonderful. HTML formatting isn't REQUIRED. it's just nice. If you have special formatting needs and you don't know the code, we may work with you. It depends on how much work it would be.

As for book reviews, there's not a list of them anywhere. I would just look at the list of reviews and copy the sections headings. "rating" and "genre" don't have a definitive list, just write what genre is most prominant. Not everyone uses the format, it's just a very good one that EUOL came up with and I think does a bang up job of covering the main bits.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #159 on: May 01, 2004, 04:02:24 PM »
Yeah, I'm familiar with how you guys have been splitting up the book reviews at the end with those categories, and I think that's good. I just didn't know if there was a guideline somewhere. Thanks--I'll be sure to refer to the reviews when I write.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 01, 2004, 04:33:19 PM »
Uh oh. I just submitted it, and I mistakenly put the <p> at the bottom of each paragraph. Should I resubmit it?

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 01, 2004, 04:59:17 PM »
go ahead and resubmit it just to make the ED's job easier....

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 01, 2004, 05:02:24 PM »
Ok, I made a few mistakes anways.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 01, 2004, 07:15:50 PM »
Can i ask for review copies of...

A/state RPG (made by http://www.contestedground.co.uk/, a scottish publisher.

Doom Striders (bastion press).
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #164 on: May 01, 2004, 11:32:14 PM »
Doomstriders is on our list to ask for.  I'll see to it that the other one gets added.  Not sure how SE and Fell want to handle sending things to you, they may just have the scottish one sent to your address, or have you contact them.  Let them talk it out, then get back to you.

Edit: Onion, I like the reveiw, as long as SE or Fell dosen't have a problem with it (which I doubt they will) it'll get posted.  Also there's 2 submissoins of the article saved, is there any difference between the two?  Or was that just an accident?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 11:49:06 PM by Spriggan »