Author Topic: I love Magic:The Gathering but...  (Read 8127 times)

mccullough

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
I love Magic:The Gathering but...
« on: December 26, 2008, 02:46:33 AM »
I never get to play. My wife doesn't play and my playing friends are spread to the four winds. How does everyone get their fix?

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: I love Magic:The Gathering but...
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 10:33:49 AM »
During the holidays, with family and close friends.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 02:48:20 PM »
Personally, my magic the gathering time was a large portion of highschool. Haven't played it much since.

You could, however, get magic the gathering online, if you really need some way to play
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital/MagicOnline.aspx

I've also seen people play on forums. It's kinda like chess by mail/email/whatever, but you'd have to trust the person you're playing with not to cheat.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 02:50:02 PM by Eerongal »
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 09:28:41 AM »
You can also play online with people you trust not to cheat.

MtG online is a total ripoff, IMO.  Really, it's much more worth your effort to try to recruit family members or friends nearby.  Consider going to your local hobby store and asking around.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 05:47:08 PM »
sigh I wish I could find my old deck. So many fond memories of that game.  :(

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 06:12:20 PM »
I have tons of cards from 3rd edition and that general time period, but I've lost all my mtg friends since and have been able to find a new group to join....
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 04:06:52 AM »
I started about then, too.  I mostly just play with family and close friends, and only occasionally (a few times a year, perhaps).

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 06:11:04 PM »
I haven't played in about ten years.  It just fizzled out.  It's like pulling teeth just to get my family to play Cribbage lately, and that is a juge family tradition (at least it was).  It would be nice to play again someday.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

mccullough

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 07:13:56 PM »
I had four phases where I played regularly, most lasting about four months.

1. High school. I was a Junior when Unlimited came out. My friend's brother in law owned a gaming store. We didn't get a discount or anything, but we were able to get the cards right when they were released. I wish wish wish I had kept those cards. At one point I had the Mox Pearl, Mox Ruby, and a Mox Emerald. One moment please, I need to go kick myself again.

2. My second year of college I moved into a house where two of the roommates played. This was during the Urza Saga. We stayed up past two every night that summer, then they moved. Again, I wish I had kept track of those cards. Pemmin's Aura is still one of my favorite cards of all time.

3. The summer before my last year of college(Not to be confused with my fourth year. :)) My brother moved into the house I was living in and got me playing again. I was working in the dorms and had a lot of free time.

4. The four months before I married my wife. She was in Washington, D.C. doing an internship with the Federal Judicial Center and I was stuck in Provo, Utah without my fiance. Two of my roommates had played in the past and I convinced them to play with me to make the pass.

In short, it seems that when I play, I really play, but those periods are few and far between.

Dangerbutton

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 07:10:24 AM »
I've never had very many people to play with. I had one friend who played a lot, but he's no longer around. On the rare occasion that my brother in law comes to visit, we play pretty much non-stop, but that's not often. (I think my mom was a bit upset with us for staying inside the whole time at our last family reunion). I tried playing with a group at the college I go to, but it just wasn't the same as with my friends.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 06:00:42 PM »
WOW, what a memory trip.  I haven't played Magic in ages.  Actually I think my deck is still in my glove compartment.  That's how much I used to play.  Ha ha.  They were left in my car so that I ALWAYS had them. ha ha.

Anymore if I want to play I go to this place in town where all the DnD gamers and Magic players hang out. xD
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 08:02:01 AM »
Ah hah!  You use "anymore" in positive contexts!

That's a bizarre trend I've noticed in recent Western American English usage: a lot of people these days use "anymore" in positive contexts.  It used to be used only in negative contexts:  "People don't talk that way anymore."  To my ears, it still sounds weird to hear "People talk that way anymore." (similar to the way you used it)

Anyway, yeah.  I'm going to keep my cards for a rainy day.  I think I'm going to sell off a bunch of my Star Wars unopened decks and boosters, though.  I still might collect some more LotR ones...

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 05:46:23 PM »
I used to have so much fun playing LoTR cards. I had this dwarf deck with a Gimli ringbearer...and Durin...and this other guy. It was fun.

Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 05:38:42 AM »
Must have been Shadows, which I own a few decks of but haven't tried playing yet.

Turbolinux999

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 09:27:44 PM »
Magic Workstation
http://www.magicworkstation.com/

That is the program that I use to play Magic on the Internets.  There are links to other sites on their 'Download' page so that you can download the Magic-specific stuff(The actual card database, themes to match the real cards, decks, card images, etc.)
I've been using it for years and it's great.  It is nagware, but there's a thread in their forum about getting a license key for free(You sign up for some "trial" crap, then cancel it. The Magic Workstation people get paid and you get a free key. I did it.)
I try, whenever I can, to spread the word about MWS.