Author Topic: The problem with sisters  (Read 5305 times)

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
Re: The problem with sisters
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2004, 08:33:04 PM »
You will in 10 years or so.  ;D

I didn't think I would either, but things look different in retrospect.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2004, 10:16:32 PM »
I found EUOL's comment to be rather humorous. He was at one point 29; until he ran into the next race.

Anywho, my first thought on this when I saw it was, "If you've got a hot sister, everyone you know (usually only just the male side of your friends) will want to know her. Ergo a current situation of mine." =P

But that does seem to be a bit scewed. That doesn't seem right to me. My mom was...20 and my dad was 30 when they got married. All because of me. ;)

Either way, awkward.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2004, 11:11:46 PM »
Aww, come on Archon.  No one's trying to discredit you, it's just a fact that pretty much everyone looks back at their teenage years and says, "I was so stupid."  

Course, I'm still saying that about last year, and next year I'll probably say that about this year.  So maybe we don't ever learn, we just think we do.  

What does she see in this guy?  Excellent question.  I asked her that myself a couple nights ago, and she didn't really answer me.  What I think it is, though, is that my sister's pretty mature, and really smart.  She isn't into the high school drama.  I think she likes being with a guy who can have an intelligent conversation, and that's hard to come by in highschool.  (Don't jump all over me Archon, I know there are exceptions.)

Thing is though, all she does is complain about his total inability to commit to her.  I'm really not sure why she puts up with it.  Part of it's probably a physical thing.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2004, 11:52:24 PM »
I am not going to jump on you, just as long as you know that there are exceptions. Anyway, if you admit that she is intelligent and not blinded by typical high school drama, and you have talked to her about it, that is about the extent of your power.

As for the intelligent conversation, I will agree with you for the most part. That is one of the reasons that I enjoy being part of this board, it gives me a chance to get away from the typical high school idiocy that is supposed to count as conversation. I am lucky though, I have a good group of friends that are on the same page as me. It is all in who you choose to be friends with.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2004, 11:55:04 PM »
And getting out of high school doesn't even protect you from it.  My workplace is horrifyingly like a bad high school experience at times.

Age doesn't necessarily mean maturity and maturity doesn't necessarily mean age.

But I still think Fish's sister will look back on this in a few years and *facepalm*.

"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2004, 03:40:01 AM »
Yeah, and I really hope that's all the scars she leaves it with.  

ARG!

But hey, we're going out of town tomorrow for five whole days.  She says she's going to use the distance to rethink things.  However, she has a cellphone, so distance really isn't as distant as it could be.  

And she's decided that for New Years she wants to set me up with her boyfriend's roommate.  Heaven help me.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2004, 12:39:17 PM »
Hey Fish, there is a magic word that I think could solve that problem very nicely. "No!" is the word you are looking for.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2004, 09:14:28 AM »
hrm... my sister-in-law is in the same situation. Only she's 25 and the guy's 40. I dunno. Say all you want about spring-fall relationships, ... it's workable, but that big a difference means a lot, even for "mature" people. A decade and a half of experience can make a LOT of difference at any age. You're at different stages of life.

However, before anyone gets on my case for that, note that my sister married one of my friends who was 7 years older than her, and I didn't have a problem with that,... well, not one I couldn't get over soon into the relationship.

I find it inappropriate that this guy is behaving this way, and I would tell my sister in no uncertain terms if she were in that. The thing that sets off the biggest alarms in my mind is the complaint about commitment. What the frickin hell is a 29 year old doing trying to date a 17 year old that he won't commit to? That's the scariest thing. Sounds like SHE'S more mature than HE is. Combine that with the fact that he's nearly 30, it makes me think he'll NEVER mature and that there will be major problems even if he does eventually commit.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2004, 09:51:19 AM »
One word for the guy... creeptastic...
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2004, 09:58:54 AM »
I agree with Jeffe, it's creepy.  In Japan it's very common for a 13 year old to date someone 18-20 years old.  And frankly that's creepy, when I tried to explain the some Japanese friends why it was they just drew blank expressions and said, more or less, "it's common" and that was their justification for it.  

Ms. Fish's sister's situation is the same, but for different reasons.  Mostly becasue:

1) People are never as mature as they think they are, and usely the ones that like the espout how mature they are usealy aren't very.

2) The fact the guy won't commit is just proof that the guy is only dateing her is becsaue of how young she is and probaly brags about it to friends.

Heck an ex-coworker of mine dated a guy 12 years older then her when she was in highschool, the guy also had 2 kids and had never been married, because of "how mature" he was and that he was a "nice" guy.  When I basicaly said that was bull, any guy that has his past history with women isn't mature in any way, she admitted one of the reason she dated him was becaue it made her frieds jelious and her parents mad.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2004, 10:09:41 AM »
/me blinks

Someone agreeing with me...

Where did I put that heart medication?

I wouldnt trust his motives. In addition, I think that 17-29 marrige is illegal without parental consent. In most states anyway.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2004, 02:19:06 PM »
And just be glad you don't live in Canada, where the age of consent is 14.  Or, maybe you should tell boyfriend that.  If he goes to Canada, he can legally hook up with girls 14 and up and leave your sister alone!

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2004, 03:21:25 PM »
*shudders*

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2004, 07:43:32 PM »
Um.   Can he say that here?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2004, 08:11:57 PM »
Yeah, I was wondering if he meant what he sounded like he meant, heheh.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch