Author Topic: Angst & Frustrations Galore  (Read 19119 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Angst & Frustrations Galore
« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2005, 09:34:07 AM »
Archon, I'm saying this as associate editor of the site. My previous post was a warning. No more separating it. You said ookla was being offensive when he was not. The grounds were that he made a religious assertion, which is not something that is bad. He was not in your face. He was not telling other people they were bad or evil. There is no more argument on that line.

I deleted two posts from this thread this morning. I suggest that everyone who has posted since last night look to see which they were. If I see anything like that again, the thread will be locked. I will have JP do it, since he's the official moderator, but I've no doubt he will do it.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #166 on: January 10, 2005, 07:45:53 PM »
SE - I feel a need to ssay something.  Ookla flat out told me that the beliefs I base my life around are wrong.  Then he told me what I will believe.  I find that offensive.  Whether or not he was in anybody's face, he was being extremely rude, in the kindest way of saying it.  I've only been skimming the thread for a while, so I don't know if Archon said something highly innappropriate - but he did have a right to be angry and offended.  It's exactly like if I told you your religion was wrong and dumb and that you wouldn't believe in it by the time your life was over - only dead serious, not as a point-maker.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #167 on: January 10, 2005, 07:53:05 PM »
I think it's neat that this thread as garnered 166 replies in five days.  I think that's a record.  Xiao should feel loved.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2005, 07:57:08 PM »
I also think it's funny how almost none of the posts actually refer back to Xiao, just a few universal struggles.   :P

We care, OutKast, just not enough!

How is your problem going, anyway?
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 10, 2005, 09:07:13 PM »
Archon said: You consider your opinions to be naturally more valid than mine is. Am I wrong? You give my ideas less consideration than those of the other people on the board, because you "know" me to be immature, naive, and ignorant. And you say these things because I am a teen.

Actually, your ideas have garnered a great deal of consideration, proof is in the posts that followed.

Archon said: God and religion are based on opinion, otherwise we would not have different religions in the world.

Total fallacy.  There are quite a few people out in the world who believe to this day that the Earth is flat.  They disagree with those of us who think it is spherical.  That does not make the Earth's shape a matter of opinion.  

I'm not saying that I can prove God's existence to you in the same way I could prove that the Earth is in fact spherical, just that your statement was a non-sequitur.

I happen to believe that all truth is part of one great whole, that there is no actual difference between "spiritual" and "physical" truth, just that we can't connect the dots yet.  I believe that there is one true religion and that I am a member of it.  However, I don't think anyone is wrong/evil for not believing the same thing because all my proof consists of experiences that are non-transferable.  I can't give you the same experiences I have had.  The experiments that have proven my religion to me are inherently unrepeatable because no one else is me.

I too think that I and everyone else, including Gorgon the Wondercow, will one day end up believing the same thing because it will unfold in front of our eyes.  I do not believe that I know now everything that I will believe then.  (did that make sense?)
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Morik

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Just a Minor Threat
    • View Profile
    • Femantics band website
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2005, 09:34:06 PM »
I believe that that is an ignorant statement, but believe what you will - but that is quite the high air you have about you - and you know what, It won't happen, not everyone will eventually believe the same thing or religion that you do - take a look around the world, thats enough proof.

Oh this post can be somewhat invalidated if you did mean when people die.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 11:35:20 PM by Morik »
So you prayed for a snow day and it happened right?
I wonder who prayed for the Tsunami

Honesty is the best policy but insanity is the best defense

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2005, 09:59:33 PM »
What he means, I think, is that when we all die we will see that his religion is the true religion because we will go to his religion's afterlife and see it ourselves.  OR we will have an experience in life that brings us to his religion.

Just because I understand what you are saying doesn't mean I agree.

But what is nice about what you said is that you pronounciated that it was a belief.  Ookla didn't.  He told me what I will believe and he told me what was right.  I'm not saying his beliefs are wrong; I'm saying I don't believe them.  As of now, neither of us can prove the other guy any more incorrect, so it would be intelligent for BOTH of us to respect eachother's beliefs.
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

Morik

• Level 3
  • Just a Minor Threat
    • View Profile
    • Femantics band website
« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2005, 10:07:11 PM »
The realm of death is quite the thing to explore - Am currently reading the Tibetan book of the dead - quite interesting

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 10, 2005, 11:09:35 PM »
Morik, you are currently failing to aspire to the level of intelligent debate. The people here don't appreciate caustic remarks, for one.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Morik

• Level 3
  • Just a Minor Threat
    • View Profile
    • Femantics band website
« Reply #174 on: January 10, 2005, 11:34:22 PM »
Wow you make the best points - I should model after you.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 10, 2005, 11:44:54 PM »
SE - I feel a need to ssay something.  Ookla flat out told me that the beliefs I base my life around are wrong.  Then he told me what I will believe.  I find that offensive.  Whether or not he was in anybody's face, he was being extremely rude, in the kindest way of saying it.  I've only been skimming the thread for a while, so I don't know if Archon said something highly innappropriate - but he did have a right to be angry and offended.  It's exactly like if I told you your religion was wrong and dumb and that you wouldn't believe in it by the time your life was over - only dead serious, not as a point-maker.

Skar did a better job at saying what my intent was. I did not know you based your life around your belief that morals are not black and white (as that is the only thing I said was wrong). And I never said anyone or anything was dumb. I'm sorry you got that impression from what I posted. I do realize I didn't say things in the best way I could have.

However, I am quite used to being told I am wrong in my beliefs in this sort of area, so I guess I'm surprised at your offense. As far as I can tell, you said "A is not black and white" and I said "A is black and white and you'll believe it eventually." I'm not sure why that's an offensive thing to say, except that everyone likes to believe they are right.

I also think Morik should lurk for a few weeks, watching how people on this forum usually post, and not post until he can contribute constructively.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 11:46:10 PM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2005, 12:49:34 AM »
Wow you make the best points - I should model after you.

I just think that Morik should be forced to keep his current level until it doesn't match his post personality so perfectly.

That being "Unsavory Peasant"
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 11:58:02 AM by Skar »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 11, 2005, 12:51:31 AM »
Incidentally, I did in fact mean that we would all believe the same after we die.  

Sorry for not making that clear.

-Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 11, 2005, 02:26:19 AM »
Of note though is also our belief that though (after we die) everyone will know specific things to be true, they can still choose to live their afterlife otherwise. Indeed, many would be much happier living their afterlives more according to the way they lived on Earth than trying to live in a way that would be foreign to the person they have become.

In that way the phrase "believing the same" doesn't mean being forced into some kind of cookie-cutter existence. And even those who choose to follow what they know to be true will still be very individualized. Different people are still different.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 02:28:16 AM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

MasterXaio

« Reply #179 on: January 11, 2005, 03:49:41 AM »
Damn right, I do feel loved... not to mention vastly amused among other things :)  I'm special, just like everybody else :D

Um, as for how its going... no more news yet.  There's a lot of stuff happening at their place in terms of inter-family arguements, dramas etc... even I don't have a clear idea of whats going on.  But I'll update this thread when I find out more.  

And I'm also taking bets as to whether it will happen at all.