Author Topic: Angst & Frustrations Galore  (Read 19121 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: Angst & Frustrations Galore
« Reply #135 on: January 09, 2005, 01:04:55 AM »
Wow you missed a lot in a very short post. No it doesnt. To paraphrase so you understand it Ethics are a personal code (hence the part about
A  personal system of fundamental principles that define values and determine duties and obligation.
).  While morals are traits learned from the moral community. Ethics can't define morals because morals come from outside a person from the teaching of others. Morals can sometimes define ethics they dont have to.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 01:05:23 AM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Morik

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Just a Minor Threat
    • View Profile
    • Femantics band website
« Reply #136 on: January 09, 2005, 01:27:04 AM »
Hey how about more synonyms!!!
peronal and individual

Ethics is a personal code that define values
morals are the values held by an individual
as well as the community - but for the point lets just say, ethics defines personal morals - okay. screw the community.

ooh by the way saint, you hd to use that mighty word again.
and by the way again - I never said anyone couldn't state something.

I have an if

what if god was real, and what if you were never informed  in anyway upon his being, then what? just curious.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 01:30:39 AM by Morik »
So you prayed for a snow day and it happened right?
I wonder who prayed for the Tsunami

Honesty is the best policy but insanity is the best defense

Master Xaio

• Level 13
  • All power corrupts, absolute power's even more fun
    • View Profile
    • Eradicator II RPG
« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2005, 06:47:10 AM »
Here's a theoretical situation for you:

Where two groups are pointlessly arguing a concept and ideas which have annoyed philosophers for centuries.  With no resolution in sight.

*innocent whistle*
"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams"
William Yeats, 'He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven'.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2005, 08:18:27 AM »
Ok, a lot of people here need to read Paul Graham's article "What you Can't Say" since it says it better than I can:

http://www.paulgraham.com/say.html

In short, you can believe that morals and ethics come from God and are Black and White all you want, it's your opinion, and can be argued, but if that's what you believe, you can believe it. But apart from some universal morals, the vast majority of what is considered "morality" is a fashion of sorts, and changes in different societies and such, and ISN'T Black and White.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Morik

• Level 3
  • Just a Minor Threat
    • View Profile
    • Femantics band website
« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2005, 08:43:24 AM »
nicely put
good article

You see, its one of my favorite topics though.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 08:44:07 AM by Morik »

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2005, 11:19:33 AM »
actually, you CAN state your opinion as fact, and there's nothing wrong with it. It's an obvious opinion, just deal with it. There's nothing offensive about it unless you're insistant upon taking offense. Please stop telling people what they can or cannot do. You are neither moderator, nor right on this subject.

and uhm.. using a word does not making it mighty. I use it purely as a semantic to get you to realize that your attack on the structure of an argument was misdirected and doomed to failure.

also, synonyms are not the same. Because words are synonyms do not mean their denotation or connotation are exact.

I'm not sure what that article is supposed to convince me of. I am unconvinced that because individual ethics and a society's opinions change that the moral is anything other than absolute. At least by the "evidence" that has heretofore been presented.

Morik

• Level 3
  • Just a Minor Threat
    • View Profile
    • Femantics band website
« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2005, 11:50:59 AM »
Your right. You CAN state an opinion as fact - though that doesnt make it a fact - but since it is an opinion it then is a fact to you. and you can do it.

if to me is a mighty word - my opinion.
synonyms are not the same - but are related

Morik

• Level 3
  • Just a Minor Threat
    • View Profile
    • Femantics band website
« Reply #142 on: January 09, 2005, 11:53:46 AM »
oh just something on synonyms for clarification

synonym - # A word having the same or nearly the same meaning as another word or other words in a language.
# A word or an expression that serves as a figurative or symbolic substitute for another.

personal and individual come up as synonyms.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #143 on: January 09, 2005, 12:14:21 PM »
SE - I'm curious.  How can something be absolute if it changes with the seasons?  That article is saying that poeples' ethical codes change, and (even according to Jeffe's definition) that means morals change.  The group, as a whole, sees things as right and wrong differently during different times.  Therefor, they can't be black and white, simply because if they were they would not change.  It's just like if one fashion was right, it would stay in style forever.

Example - it used to be thought rightous to torture a criminal until death.

The 'fact' that morals are dictated by a group seems only partially correct to me.  Yes, morals are taught to most people by other people, who learned it from somebody else.  Yes, people generally mold their moral system to the rest of the people around them, so their morals are similar or even identical.  No, you don't have to do that.  My morals, which are what defines my ethical code, do not have to be your morals, or the group's morals, or anybody's morals but my own.

So, no, morals don't have to be a group project.  Your own experiences, religions, surroundings and thought processes.  And, back to the actual point of this whole discussion, as long as you can rationally justify your morals, nobody should have the right to tell you that you are wrong.  Same idea as religion or any other matter of belief.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Morik

• Level 3
  • Just a Minor Threat
    • View Profile
    • Femantics band website
« Reply #144 on: January 09, 2005, 12:37:15 PM »
shhh its the other way around (by those pevious definitions) Ethical code defines morals - yeah..

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2005, 12:51:47 PM »
Not by the definition I was given, which is

Ethics: a set of moral principles or values
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Morik

• Level 3
  • Just a Minor Threat
    • View Profile
    • Femantics band website
« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2005, 01:17:25 PM »
That must mean that they are -gasp- interrelated!

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2005, 01:43:43 PM »
I already said that.  I think everybody talking about the subject already ackknowledged that, too.  Whether or not they are related enough to be used interchangably is what Jeffe was sparking up.
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 09, 2005, 03:59:02 PM »
SE, by that logic, there is nothing wrong with what I said. I am stating my opinion, and even if I am stating it as fact, it is alright to do so. There is nothing to get offended about unless you choose to take offense. Please stop telling me what to do. In short, anything you told me can be used against your post as well, so your statement and mine should either both be ignored, or both be acknowledged in which case they are still voided. I am sorry if this post seems sarcastic, but I am being absolutely serious, and as polite about it as I can.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 04:01:09 PM by Archon »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2005, 04:20:11 PM »
There is no god.  Your relgion is a waste of your time and you are very gullible to even concider following it without the slightest bit of proof that it is correct in any way.  None of you are worth any respect and should all be shot in the face at least a dozen times.

Now, I have stated what could be somebody's opinion as a fact (this is not necissarily my opinion). I garuntee that many people on the board were offended when they read that.  Sure, stating your opinion as it were a fact strengthens your argument, and it shows that you have faith in it - it shows that it is fact to you.  But always going around not acknowledging that things are your opinions, and saying they are facts, is ridiculous and offensive.  

There are places and times, and touchy subjects that require a civil touch; mainly, they require that you acknowledge that other people believe other things and neither of you can prove you are any more correct than the other person.  Whether or not you think it is a fact, you need to have some proof to back it up before you tell me I am wrong, you are right, or anything that could be concidered such.  Just because you don't think your being offensive by telling me that I will believe what you believe one day doesn't mean you aren't.
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke