Author Topic: Moosebutter  (Read 3116 times)

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
Moosebutter
« on: June 25, 2005, 02:32:11 PM »
(I did a search and nothing came up, so I'll apologize if this has been mentioned before.)

http://www.moosebutter.com/media.php

Check out Harry Potter (the faux British version is good for a laugh, too.  Well, maybe just a giggle.  Or a snicker.)  and the Star Wars song.  
~금강산도 식후경~

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: Moosebutter
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 05:59:48 AM »
I think I saw these guys perform at BYU once.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 05:17:35 PM »
I liked the Star Wars song. But the Harry Potter one was annoying.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 02:57:52 AM »
I saw Moosebutter at the Acappella Jam at BYU. They were very funny. You can spot them by their creative costumes--red and black and white running outfits. I've wanted to go, but I've never been to one of their concerts.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 06:51:01 PM »
I find the British-ish version of Harry Potter much better (entertaining, not better sung) than the original.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 03:22:00 PM »
Hey Peter, remember the guy at Marcon that had "John Williams' Greatest Hit" on his keyboard?  The Star Wars song reminded me of that.

British-ish.  Heh.
~금강산도 식후경~

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 10:57:42 AM »
Yeah, me too. In fact I was mentioning that "greatest hit" thing to someone just a couple weeks ago.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 02:09:31 PM »
I find the British-ish version of Harry Potter much better (entertaining, not better sung) than the original.

That may be the essence of Moosebutter. Unlike some Acappella groups I have heard, they seem to go for very humorous songs--for humor and entertainment over quality. And that's okay--there are enough serious groups (I've listened to them at Acappella Jams). Moosebutter is always a favorite--not because of aesthetics, but because of performance and subject matter. They're just stinking hilarious! Acappella is all about vocal percussion, and I think it is pretty amazing what these guys can do with their voices alone--and they're clever at the same time.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 12:27:37 AM »
Huh, vocal percussion (if you mean the spitting/smacking sounds they usually have one guy doing) is what I like least about a cappella.

I really liked the very clear non-vibrato sound of the singing in the star wars song.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2005, 11:11:26 PM »
Ironically, one of my favourite a cappella groups is Die Prinzen - a german rock group that released an a cappella album.  Very well done, and some pretty funny songs, too.  No "vocal percussion", per se.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 11:22:04 PM »
Vocal percussion was probably the wrong term. I meant to refer to the fact that in a capella they are using solely their voices and no instruments to make music. But I don't profess a knowledge of musical terms, especially in regards to a cappella, and apparently I used it incorrectly.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2005, 07:14:54 PM »
Well...using only their voices and no instruments is the definition of a cappella. By vocal percussion I assumed you meant (um, disregarding what I said earlier) the parts where they are singing something other than words. I think vocal percussion is far overused in many a cappella groups.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2005, 09:29:36 PM »
But a cappella groups feel a need to prove they're not just barbershop groups.  =รพ

cyan10101

• Level 6
  • the spice is vital for space travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2005, 04:13:51 AM »
i happen to know one of the members personally.  weston wride, he is from my home ward back in cleveland.  He is pretty funny and their whole family always did musical numbers in church
everything was going fine, until i critically failed my intelligence check!