Author Topic: Novel in a month  (Read 38209 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Novel in a month
« Reply #210 on: November 06, 2003, 02:46:54 PM »
Hmm. in high school I wrote a dice-rolling program designed to be used in the Rifts RPG--it could roll characters, monsters, traveling shows (from the vampire book) and, most importantly, random encounters. Maybe I should look into posting that bad boy in case anyone wants a random encounter table. You'd have to do some heavy converting to non-Rifts settings, though, so maybe it wouldn't be worth it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #211 on: November 06, 2003, 05:08:02 PM »
Tage mentioned maybe setting soemthing up. w-g.org was meant to be temporary for the file holding aspect, and then the calendar itself could be moved too. We'll see when we can bug him into getting it done.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #212 on: November 06, 2003, 06:36:58 PM »
SE:  I wouldn't cout too much on me pulling ahead of you.  I generally don't write much on the weekends, if at all.  My strong days tend to be Mondays and Wednesdays.  In addition, how much I write in a day depends on how much time I have to spend doing other writing-related things.  For instance, today I had to spend an hour or so spell-checking and editing (which I like to do as I progress, so that I don't have to do it all at once at the end.)  I am also printing off two copies of ELANTRIS to send to British publishers, which demands a moderate chunk of time.

We'll see what kind of count I get to today, but it won't likely be as spectacular as yesterday's.

As for your plot, I can understand your 'two stories thrown together' worries.  I generally come up with stories this way, at least at first.  Usually the independent elements fit together eventually, but I've had a couple of stories where they never did.  However, if you want to do a maturation story, followed by a supernatural story, that's just fine.  Put a break in the center and call the pieces 'Part One' and 'Part Two.'  I've several novels do this, and sometimes they even have extended time-gaps between the sections.  (Feist's MAGICIAN, Melanie Rawn's DRAGON PRINCE.)
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 06, 2003, 07:28:08 PM »
I never check the Books section, so don't expect me to check this thread much.

I had mentioned something about setting up a little file-storage dealy. However, now that I think about it, the TWG server is already stuffed to the gills. I currently have to sweep through and clear off files weekly to keep under quota. I know that docs don't take that much space, but really, I'm pushing the limit as-is.

Don't places like Yahoo offer little public web folders? Maybe you could set up one of those just for this writing thing.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #214 on: November 06, 2003, 07:50:19 PM »
That sounds like work. If someone else finds a convenient pw protected folder, that's fine, I'll be happy to go along with it. Otherwise I'm going to stay with what we're doing.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #215 on: November 06, 2003, 07:56:42 PM »
Does Sprig have room, you think?  He's got server space, after all.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #216 on: November 06, 2003, 08:05:45 PM »
I have infinite space.
Zippy, which holds w-g.org, has something like 200 gigs of storage. I have no quota or space restriction.
Is there a file system that someone would like me to install for this? If so, give me instructions and point me at a download.
I refuse to muck through anything at yahoo unless somone else set it up.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #217 on: November 06, 2003, 08:29:22 PM »
Huzzah! 10,210 words and counting. I imagine I'll change about 200 of them tomorrow, as I've gotten in the habit of re-writing the last little bit of what I wrote the day before--it helps me get rolling. Still, though, I've gone to 5 digits and feel quite proud of myself. Only 4/5 of teh book left!
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #218 on: November 06, 2003, 09:39:58 PM »
I've done 500 here at work, then got distracted by comics. New comics. NOt very good ones. But new ones. Saving Usagi for last.

I'll beat you yet fell!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #219 on: November 06, 2003, 10:55:30 PM »
Argh!
I wrote a 500 word scene at work and forgot to send it back to myself at home! I'm a dork!
fortunately, the scene went in earlier than where i had left off, so I can now pick up there and continue. Who rules? Yes, that's right. me.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 07, 2003, 02:38:29 AM »
Well, I'm reporting that my new method of multiple writing sessions is a success, and I have made very significant progress towards catching up to quota.  Yeah!

Another thing I have going for me is that more than half of what I've written (maybe 2/3 or even 3/4) so far has been dialogue.  As the plot develops I don't see myself slogging through quite so many quotation marks and it'll get quicker.  Double yeah!

Anyways, just checking in.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2003, 02:39:25 AM by Lieutenant_Kije »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #221 on: November 07, 2003, 09:09:33 AM »
well, as I had a pretty pitiful day yesterday, and since no one has reported, yesterday's update will happen later today, while today's will happen tomorrow morning, after which I think I'll be back on schedule

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #222 on: November 07, 2003, 12:09:05 PM »
Well, I'd like to say that yes, I did write yesterday but no, I haven't gotten it typed in yet. I'm going to my roommates house this weekend, so I expect I'll get more done than I've ever gotten done. So give me until monday, then I'll give you my stats SE to post come sunday night.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #223 on: November 07, 2003, 12:54:24 PM »
Note: I'm happy to post past days if you have specific numbers. Otherwise, I'll just post total counts. Also note: MoD and Kije HAD sent me their stats, but I hadn't checked my email before I posted that. So yeah, we'll get it all caught up by end of the weekend.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 07, 2003, 01:29:24 PM »
My stats were very pitiful though. I have high hopes for increased productivity with laptop mobility. I'd like to try Kije's method, but it is difficult to accomplish with a full time job. I'm resolved to make it work though!

Some of my low productivity was because I got discouraged over how stupid my bad guy seems. It wasn't until this morning that I remembered how important it is to remember it's going to be crap, but it's going to be finished, so deal.

/me shrugs

I'm hoping tonight goes better.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy