Author Topic: What are you reading mark II  (Read 32897 times)

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
Re: What are you reading mark II
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2004, 08:02:09 AM »
See, if you were a PROPER nerd, then the Evil Overlord situation would be more likely to happen.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2004, 02:05:53 AM »
Fish, moving back to the previous topic, are there any romances that you've read that you DID like?  I have the conundrum of liking a good romance novel but having very harsh judgement of what is good and what is not.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2004, 04:09:15 AM »
Yeah, see, that's the paradox.  It's not that I don't like the books, I just don't think that I ought to, because they're so bad.  

But romance that I think is actually well-written?

I'll have to think about that.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2004, 11:23:03 AM »
I would have to say that nerds never encounter evil overlords--only sauve and sophisticated spies, or grim-faced fantasy warriors ever run into those. Nerds tend to encounter other nerds, such as the comic book guy. I don't think we can count him as an evil overlord.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2004, 11:26:30 AM »
unless you're trying to subscribe to a comic title he doesn't like.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2004, 12:18:57 PM »
Fish, moving back to the previous topic, are there any romances that you've read that you DID like?  I have the conundrum of liking a good romance novel but having very harsh judgement of what is good and what is not.

Octopus and Fish -- if you're looking for LDS stuff, try Kerry Blair, particularly This Just In.  It's still not great literature, but it's fun, and a lot better than Anita Stansfield.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2004, 12:22:03 PM »
This sucks...  there are two conversations going on: one about evil overlords, and one about romance novels.  And look which one I'm commenting on.  What a nerd.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2004, 12:28:07 PM »
I was gonna say "girly" but I guess "nerd" works.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2004, 02:36:56 PM »
Well, what can you expect from a guy who writes LDS fiction. I hardly feel like I know you any more.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 24, 2004, 01:24:28 PM »
I always liked Charly...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 24, 2004, 08:29:57 PM »
Honestly, until my little trist with the Anita Stansfield novel I'd never read any LDS fiction other than Jennie Hansen, which I hope is not representative.  I mean, they're engrossing, but not the best books in the world.  I was going to say I wanted to try more, then I realized that you can't get those at libraries, and I can't afford to buy them all.  

As for romance books I think are well-written, I've been thinking about it, and I couldn't really come up with any.  I haven't read that many, I think because of that fact.  I like alot of books that have romance in them--Mama Day and Paradise Park being two of my favorites, but neither of those are really in the romance genre.  

Got any reccomendations, Fuzzy?
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 24, 2004, 10:07:26 PM »
Ummm.

:-[

None that I'd recommend in the company of other Mormons.....   Though if you like Rent....
« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 10:08:42 PM by fuzzyoctopus »

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 26, 2004, 11:18:40 PM »
I've probably got enough content issues just sticking with the ones I can't let go of, like Rent.  I don't really need to add any more.  

On the other hand, I started a novel today that's a romance, and I think it's very well written.  It's called Scribbler of Dreams, and it's YA, and it's based on Romeo and Juliet, though my mom promised me that the characters don't die at the end.  I don't know how I'll feel about it when I finish it, but for now I think it's great.

So yay, I came up with one.    

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2004, 04:31:14 AM »
Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold is a great romance. So is Shards of Honor by the same author. But they happen to be fantasy and science fiction novels, respectively, at the same time. (And Paladin is the 2nd in a series.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 27, 2004, 05:06:08 AM »
You know I ordered a copy from half.com and the stupid seller cancelled my order.  I forgot to order another copy I was so grumpy about it.

Maybe I can even find a copy locally and save myself the anguish of shipping time.

Additionally, I just found out that I'll be getting the hardback since apparently the paperback version isn't being released until May.  that seems like a long time.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 05:09:15 AM by fuzzyoctopus »