Author Topic: It's not how you smell, but how you play  (Read 2040 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
It's not how you smell, but how you play
« on: October 28, 2003, 11:23:29 AM »
Working title!

Ok. Since we are all yabbling about this in the VG section, lets move it to its proper place.

First things needed :

Basic plot overview. Due to the chosen format, this is not difficult.
Characters. Kinda important, yah?

Leave any comments like "i want to be director" until later.

We need to work out who is writing this. Commitees never get anything done. I suggest myself (since i am all-important), SE (he talks a lot), Jam, sprig and wolverine (all showed interest).
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: It's not how you smell, but how you play
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 11:30:13 AM »
I'll make a lot of smart remarks, but I'm not writing the screenplay.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 01:10:03 PM »
Dude, I am so wanting to write screenplays when I get out of this college stuff. You should put me where SE doesn't want to be. Yeahh! Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap!
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 11:20:48 PM »
Ah, make a seperate thread. Good idea.

Ok, as for writing the screenplay, it might be easiest if we all write different sections. Then, we look at what we have, suggest improvements, and go over it, to be consistant. Or, let Gemm do it. I'm willing to do it if no one else cares, but I'm lazy when it comes to gettign stuff actually done.

I suggest we start with characters, since that's important. We need three clans to start, I say. The world champions (probably korea) the local rivals and the heroes.  I think each clan needs a name and eight members - six players with different roles and two reserves. That way we can have an awesome bit at the end where the reserve is forced to play and ends up doing really well.

Not every character needs an in depth personality, but they'll all need a nick and basic feel. If no one objects, I'll work on some character designs for the main clan tonight,  and post them tomorrow for comment.

Since our heroes are meant to be, well, heroic, I recommend calling the clan something like "Honour's Edge." Comments?
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 11:41:25 PM »
That sounds good Jam. I'll need to look at some screenplays sometime this weekend inbetween my bouts of writing and becoming a disease ridden heat-bag. I dunno. I'll figure something out. Sound even cooler than before though, keep it up.
                William S. Burroughs

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 11:50:52 PM »
Speaking of which, I recommend heading over to www.script-o-rama.com . Look at the scripts of mivies such as : The Fast and the Furious, 8 Mile, The Waterboy, Remember the Titans, etc. etc. Basically, anything that uses the same mold we can blatently rip the plotline off.  And yes, I am unfortunate enough to have seen all of those films. Unavoidably, in most cases.

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2003, 12:00:54 AM »
Ok, I can only find The Replacements (not going to look at 8 Mile since I do not want to ever see that movie or read it). Can't find Fast & Furious and The Waterboy.
                William S. Burroughs

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2003, 12:10:17 AM »
Hmm...I tend to assume Drew just has everything, but if it's not there, it's not there. In any case, that's a good site to look at existing scripts and "borrow" ideas.

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2003, 07:58:43 AM »
I think Spider-Man 2 is up there. Which is really cool. I was reading a little bit of it and it was really cool.
                William S. Burroughs

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2003, 07:13:11 PM »
Saint said on IM that december is the national-write-a-screenplay month. So JP, you could wait until then and then pull off the 50k words in a month trick.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2003, 07:28:34 PM »
actually, what I said was just a repeat of what the NaNoWriMo site says: Essentially: save your screenplay till December -- this is about crappy novels, not crappy screenplays.
Far as I know, there is no organized write-a-screenplay-in-a-month thing. Though there's obviously nothing stopping you.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2003, 09:03:47 PM »
That could work actually.... Anyway, I have here some base character concepts for the main clan, as promised.  Comments?

Honour's Edge

Team Leader: Talbot
Appearance: Tallish. Dark brown hair, worn gelled back. Dark eyes, loose fitting casual clothes.
Quotes/Taunts:  "To fight I will, but not to fly the foe!" "Let us into battle - honourably!" etc...

Talbot chose his name after the Shakespeare character John Talbot, admiring his bravery. He was unanimously selected as team leader of Honours Edge for his skill at it. He's not as good at UT as, say, GIBbon, but has leadership talents. He can make good decisions on the fly, speaks well, encourages everyone to play to their potential, and gives constructive criticism. In battle, he is as brave as his namesake. He won't charge in needlessly, but he never runs away - he is always leading his team into battle. Talbot is likeable, and lacks the cynicism of most geeks, although he shares the interests and love for Caffeine.

Offence Leader: GIBbon
Appearance: Short. Red Haired. Glasses. Not unattractive, but looks nerdy, as if he can't be bothered to wear decent clothes or anything. He has better things to do.
Quotes/Taunts: "Gibbage!" "Monkey See, Monkey Frag!" etc....

GIBbon is the hot head of the group. He is very skilled a player when he wants to be, but can get overexcited and charge in at a bad time, causing the loss of several games for the clan. It is no wonder then that he is the leader of the clan's offensive spearhead. Despite his impatience, once in the thick of things, GIBbon mixes it up well - he has an average Kill/Death ratio of 10/1 against players at his level. In real life, GIBbon is prone to getting frustrated, angry and even violet -he has gotten himself into fights, and needed his other clan members to bail him out. In general, he thinks the world is out to get him, not trusting anyone except his clan, and looking down on all non-gamers. Oh, and yes Saint, he can be a monkey.

Offence Soldier: Falcon
Appearance: Typical geek - Longish Hair, casual clothes, slightly unkempt.
Quotes: "Soar around the rockets, then Fast Dive their eyes" etc...
Falcon is our protagonist. He is new to the clan, and fairly skilful, but unsure of himself, as he is yet to prove himself at a tournament level. He's well liked among his own clan, but often insulted by members of other teams. He is introverted, and prone to low self-esteem, but not to ridiculous Shinji Ikari-esque levels. Of course, in the films climax, it all comes down to him.

Defence Leader: Paladin
Real Name: Henry Schoefield (*Sir* Henry Schoefield to you, thankyou very much!)
Appearance: Wears jeans and a ThinkGeek shirt in the rare times he doesn't wear chainmail.
Quotes: "Prithee my lord. Dost thou lookest at my flagon of mead, and shalt I slay thee were thy stand?" etc..

No, I'm not basing characters on myself, but if you have a clan called "Honour's Edge", someone will undoubtedly call themselves Paladin. Paladin is the clan member with the interest in all things medieval. When he doesn't practice play games, he practices archery and Swordplay. While he does dress up in chainmail a lot (especially during tourneys to gain crowed favour) he isn't really a snob about it, he just takes his Roleplaying too far. He's good at UT though, and loves the medieval maps. Good at defence too, since he's happy to stand his ground as long as necessary to win.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 09:10:41 PM by JamPaladin »

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2003, 09:13:01 PM »
Defence Soldier: Technomancer
Appearance: Average Height. Hair died green. Always carries a laptop computer, and several CDRWs. Often wears a white "Hacker" hat. (ThinkGeek product placement. Always wears Coder/Hacker ThinkGeek shirts.
Quotes/Taunts: "There is a difference between Bold and Strong tags!" "VB isn't true object oriented!" "Codito Ergo Sum" "No, I will not fix your computer!" etc, etc...

The most Tech oriented of the group, Technomancer finds UTs game engine more interesting than the game himself. He is working on a Mod for the game, and always does benchmarks and tweaks to get it running the best. He is both an overclocker and a casemodder. Technomancer is famous for the incident when the clan was playing a practice game against each other. They kept asking if Tim was going to keep coding or play, and he kept saying "In a minute." Then, all the other teams screens went dead, and he scored 50+ frags from people stumbling blindly around. Also has an obsession with Cthulhu.

Tactical Advisor (Strategic Leader): Samurai Jake
Appearance: Usually wears a shirt with a Japanese insignia, but in tourneys he wears a Samurai style robe to gain crowed appeal. Occasionally wears the full armour with the flag on the back, and carries a Katana, but mostly as a joke, unlike Paladin
Quotes/Taunts: "Hm. Ninjas."  "Lotus Step."  Any Haiku he made up on the spot etc...

The name is a play on words of a character that Jake finds particularly appealing. He's into Anime a lot, and in fact finds anything Japanese cool in that geeky way. He is a Zen Buddhist, and practises Martial Arts, but only as a secondary hobby to his normal geek ones. When playing UT, he applies his Zen philosophy to the game, often quoting "The Art of War". He's also probably the most honourable of the group, refusing to shoot unarmed opponents. Yet he still manages to win. His experience with strategy in general makes him the Tactical Advisor of the clan, and he comes up with new strategies for the clan to practice.

Offence reserve: Strobe
Appearance: Looks like he actually bothers to groom himself. Usually seen in a shirt with a Bands name on it, and wearing Sennheiser Headphones.
Quotes: "Strobe Representin'"  etc...

Strobe is the muso of the clan - he has a job as a DJ, and a second job doing lights for nightclubs. He really likes his electronic music, in addition to listening to a lot of Video Game music Remixes. (OC ReMix product placement). He is an eager and willing member of the clan, but there more for friendship than to win. He's not too skilled at the game, but enjoys it.

Defence Reserve:  Silentflight
Appearance: Female Geek - Yes, they exist.
Quotes: ::Silent, sly, smile:: etc...

The only female of the clan, and the obligatory love interest. Silentflight is almost as tech oriented as Technomancer.  She had a casemodded system before he had heard of case modding. In battle, no one expects her to be good, and, while not as skilful as the rest of the clan, she tends to surprise people. She is also the clan's undisputed master of Starcraft. She can beat some Koreans at it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 09:19:46 PM by JamPaladin »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2003, 09:23:37 PM »
Smart remark #1: This Silentflight chick is JP's fantasy.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2003, 09:40:44 PM »
I won't even attempt to deny that.