Author Topic: The Incredibles DVD  (Read 4383 times)

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Re: The Incredibles DVD
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2005, 04:16:27 PM »
Go take a computer hardware course yourself.  Label side down is a common, and false, misconception.  

"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2005, 04:19:32 PM »
I just finished one. I guess we'll just disagree. But it's been my education and experience that it is far more likely that a scratch on the data side will affect performance than a scratch on the label side. I have hundreds of CDs and and DVDs. Of the ones that have damage or marring to the label, none have any noticeable performance problems. Of those that have scratches on the data side, there are some that cannot be cleaned and they skip in any CD player.

You'll excuse me if I trust both my experience and certified computer hardware professionals before I trust you guys.

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
Re: The Incredibles DVD[quote]
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2005, 05:09:50 PM »
Balance them on their sides.  That is why they make them thick.

I bought one of those 'scratch repair kits', and it said that it can fix the scratches unless you can see light coming though the label.  So if the scratch was on the label side, then it was a bad thing.

This site seems to say that a CD or DVD that has read surfaces on both sides is better protected.

http://www.lastfactory.com/cdanddvdcare.html

DVDs that have read surfaces on both sides are highly unlikely to have this problem, because the aluminized layer is well protected by being sandwiched between two thick polycarbonate layers.

And this site probably answered the question definitively, but I'm not wading in there.
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2005, 05:44:59 PM »
They started coming out with DVD/CD sleeves that you can actually leave on in the player, which seems like a great idea--any damage you do will be to the displosable cover rather than the disc or data itself. I like to think that they invented that specifically to stop you two from fighting.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2005, 05:49:03 PM »
They do that to rental company versions of console games, sometimes. They stuck this little layer on the bottom of the disc, that meant the xbox went 0MG WHAT IS THIS THING and refused to play it.

Marvellous stuff really.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 05:49:15 PM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2005, 07:37:12 PM »
For the long haul, the oils in your fingers have a greater chance of going through the label side and damaging the data than through the shiny side. This is only a problem if you, like me, plan to listen to your CDs in thirty years.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2005, 07:53:42 PM »
Back to the subject of The Incredibles, we rented it last week and watched all the special features, and I thought they were all lame. I didn't laugh at anything. I still enjoy the movie, but the special features were a big disappointment for me.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2005, 09:01:08 PM »
Thing is, take out a tiny bit of the relfective layer, and the disc is jammed. Minor data scratching can be repaired quite well with a resurfacing.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2005, 03:45:41 PM »
I feel your pain Fell, though I don't think they meant any of the special features to be funny. Brad Bird seems to take himself too seriously for the off-the-wall humor of the earlier Pixar movies. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing though.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2005, 05:03:55 PM »
Some of them were obviously meant to be funny, like the NSA files, Jack Jack Attack, and the commentary track to the old cartoon show. But they all came off a little desperate to me.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2005, 06:54:27 PM »
I didn't think that Jack Jack Attack was that funny, it was just kind of trite. I found the NSA files to be mildly amusing. My favorite special feature was the essay by the gal who voices Violet, that was funny in a Daria sort of way.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2005, 06:58:35 PM »
I did enjoy that, actually. I felt a kinship with her when she said that it was refreshing to finally work on a project she didn't have to convince people to be interested in.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2005, 09:22:22 PM »
Wait until you have kids and leave them with a babysitter. Then Jack-Jack Attacks becomes funny.

Or maybe it's just because my boys leave the house looking like the house in JJA wthout the superpowers.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2005, 09:27:05 PM »
Jack Jack attack was funny... very funny... especially at the end when Kari is just sitting in front of Jack Jack with the extinguisher and mirror and huge bloodshot eyes...

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2005, 11:37:46 PM »
That was the only part of the cartoon that made me chuckle, Jeffe. Good call.

And yes, I have two children, and I've left them with many sitters, and they have reduced at least one to tears. It still wasn't funny.