Author Topic: Gilmore Girls  (Read 2239 times)

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
Gilmore Girls
« on: March 26, 2005, 09:28:00 PM »
Okay, I know that most of you like Sci-fi and fantasy more than anything, and so do I, but Gilmore Girls is one of the greatest drama tv series I've seen. You know how I started watching it? I was flipping through during commercials, as I'm prone to do, while waiting for the sitcom I was watching to come back on. I found an episode of Gilmore Girls playing (this was in the first season) and I was immediately hooked and so didn't finish watching the other show. It's not like teen dramas with sex and pregnancy and all that crap (although I admit that sex is a sidenote on the show, just not in any way its focus). It has great intellectual humor (mostly things said than anything) and it has great eccentric, but realistic characters and a lot of heart. It also is closer to reality than most shows I've seen. The main character, Rory, goes off to college (Yale--they live in Conneticut) after having two different boyfriends in high school and then doesn't find anyone to date the whole year--although she's interested in a couple of boys. Sound familiar to anyone? Then there's this guy who likes her, but she just sees as a buddy. She is always wanting to hang out with him because she enjoys his company, which causes him to fall in love with her, but she doesn't like him like that. He finally tells her and she's like, Um, I don't feel the same way and she makes him promise they'll still be friends, but you know that's not gonna happen. Anyway, the point is it's really great and if you get a chance check it out (although my advice is start with the earlier ones so you'll understand the later ones better). This is great television people!

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
Re: Gilmore Girls
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 09:42:04 PM »
Yes, my favourite show.

I need to see if I can get DVDs of it.

It went downhill after season 2 though.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 09:43:28 PM by JamPaladin »
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 09:53:27 PM »
I love it, too.

http://www.timewastersguide.com/boards/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=movies;action=display;num=1068067639;start=19

I love the fast talking. It reminds me of a Cary Grant movie, like His Girl Friday. I don't get much chance to watch it nowadays, what with all the stuff I've got going on, but I plan on catching up eventually on DVD. My roommate has Season 1 on DVD which I'll watch eventually. Probably the week before graduation while packing up all my worldly belongings.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 10:06:13 PM »
Yes, my favourite show.

I need to see if I can get DVDs of it.

It went downhill after season 2 though.

I have to disagree. I admit that there were certain storylines that were not as great as others, but I think that there are some really great things happening in the recent episodes. What do you guys think about Luke and Lorelai. I think they're cute together, but I really like Max. I felt like they worked. I guess Lorelai did not, however.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 11:37:24 PM »
The scary thing is that my mother and I can do that fast talking, witty, back and forth thing. And we don't have a script, either.

There's season one on DVD out? Know if you can get it over here, since my DVD store doesn't seem to have it. I must ask if I can order it in. Maybe when I have monye though.

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 11:45:12 PM »
You can always order it online. Amazon has the first three seasons (which I believe are the only ones out on DVD yet).  And I bet other places have it as well.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/104-6756529-2838325

Check it out!

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 12:16:23 AM »
Yeah, except I can't, because that requires a card.

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 12:23:51 AM »
oh . . . no checking account?

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 04:05:10 PM »
I too am I big fan, but really disappointed in the professor-student relationship. That's just too . . . wrong for me to be comfortable with. I plan on watching the earlier eps via Netflix, when we find room for the subscription in the budget.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2005, 04:07:43 PM »
I totally agree with you, but since that's over, no worries. Have you been watching the recent episodes?

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2005, 04:13:07 PM »
Nope, no TV at our house. I'm really enjoying making use of all the time I would normally be flipping through channels "looking for something good on."
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2005, 04:18:11 PM »
I have to disagree on the whole fast talking point.  I find the brief torrents of witty banter contrived (sorry Jam - I'm not saying you or your mother are contrived; just that it comes across that way to me in the show,) and eventually predictable and not too interesting.  

That's just me, though.  

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 04:25:12 PM »
I don't know if it's contrived banter or poor acting on part of the girl, but I've always come away with the same impression as Kije. I try to watch it, because everyone says it's so good, but it just seems too wooden for me.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 04:29:29 PM »
Yeah it's just you!! I really like it, but that is not the only reason I find the show interesting. Part of what makes it so good is that it focuses on the characters and their relationships. Unlike some shows that need jokes (which are usually crude) to keep their audience interested, in this show you care about the characters. Nothing happens quickly (i.e. issues aren't resolved in each episode) and so it's closer to life--it takes time for things to culminate. So they have a whole bunch going on and each week they choose 2 or 3 to focus on. They also have very interesting characters. If you're familiar with the show, I can just mention names and you will smile thinking of the ideosyncracies each name possess:

Kirk
Taylor
Sooki
Mrs. Kim
Lane
Luke

And these are only the minor characters. Their characters are just so full--just as real people are (although exaggerated a bit to be more interesting). Anyway, that is why I like the show. The humor and jokes are more just a part of Lorelai's (and others, but mostly Lorelai) character and not the focus at all.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 04:37:40 PM »
closer to real life, huh? Sounds horrid.