Author Topic: Bye bye WB and UPN  (Read 3076 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Bye bye WB and UPN
« on: January 24, 2006, 04:02:10 PM »
Both the WB and UPN are shutting down this next fall, or actually mergining togethor to form a new channel "The CW".  

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11006886/

Not the most intresting news, but it's been a slow few weeks.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Bye bye WB and UPN
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 04:11:40 PM »
The new network gets its name from the first letters of its parent’s names — C for CBS and W for Warner Bros.

Oh, how I wish they'd gone for The WC instead.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 04:12:15 PM »
But then the Brittish would make fun of it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 04:20:18 PM »
But wouldn't that just be appropriate.

And I'm sure the British have no problems making fun of us with or without TV stations called WC.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Tink

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 04:20:54 PM »
All I can say is Gilmore Girls better not be negatively affected by this. I really enjoy it. I doubt it will, though, it has quite the following. (Although it's in its 6th season, so who knows how long it will be before it dies a natural death.)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 04:48:34 PM »
The press release says:  
These programming assets range from hit reality series such as "America's Next Top Model" and The WB's "Beauty and the Geek," to hit dramas like The WB's "Smallville," "Gilmore Girls," "Supernatural," and UPN's "Veronica Mars" as well as UPN's hit comedies "Everybody Hates Chris" and "Girlfriends" and The WB's hit comedy "Reba." In addition the WWE's "Smackdown," which has been a mainstay at UPN, is expected to play a role in the schedule.

It lists those programs as assets, and acknowledges that they get the best ratings.  If that eases your mind any.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 05:30:35 PM »
Yes, actually. I guess I missed that info. There are a few there I like including Veronica Mars as well. Yea. I'm glad they'll be staying!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 06:28:47 PM »
and now Disney's bought Pixar, too.  Just seems the say for it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11003466/
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 07:10:29 PM »
How intensely sad.  I sure hope the Pixar folks can stave off the PC wildlings at Disney and still manage to produce films that are not just a vehicle for unsubtle political messages.  I was very happy when I heard Pixar was breaking away from Disney, now all that's just reversed.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 08:12:18 PM »
I also am sad, but not because I attribute Disney with any sort of of evil agenda--I'm just sad because Disney is on a huge downhill slide in quality, and all of their recent efforts have sucked. Pixar was the only good thing they had left, so I can't blame them for buying it back after the split, but I can't bear the thought of a direct to video Incredibles 2 hack job.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 09:19:38 PM »
Disney buying Pixar is sad because Disney has showed poor business judgment lately and is now consuming Pixar is an attempt to recapture the animated film market. I think Disney will only be successful in this deal if the execs at Disney step aside and let the Pixar execs to continue to run free. Just because Disney buys Pixar doesn't mean that Disney has to take control over Pixar's management and corporate governance. In fact, several business take over other business to intergrate management and execs. I'm hoping that that will be the case in this deal.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 12:44:33 AM »
If they're smart, it will be. Pixar has proven itself to have excellent people who make excellent products, and it would be stupid of Disney (though, sadly, not out of character) for them to assume they could alter that formula without altering the results they want to acheive by buying it in the first place.

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006, 12:54:38 AM »
If they're smart, it will be.

They're doomed.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2006, 02:48:00 AM »
I wouldn't be so hard on Disney.  Be hard on Michael Eisner--I think a lot of their current woes can be traced to him.  The fact that they managed to get Steve Jobs to come back is a good sign, as far as I'm concerned.  He's no dummy--and while yes, he's making a pretty penny, I don't think he'd so easily flush this baby down the toilet.  When Eisner was still at the helm, this relationship between the companies was so over.  Now it's not--which says to me that people at Disney are trying to start to turn things around.

And as for an Incredibles 2 hack job, I think this goes a long way to having that not happen.  Disney owned the rights to all those movies as far as sequels go if I remember correctly.  This way, we'll hopefully get something more along the lines of Toy Story 2 than Return of Jafar.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006, 03:28:17 AM »
I think people give Eisner a much harder time then he deserves, the guy made Disney more profitable the people could have imagined.  The thing was that he was a TV guy not a movie guy so he more or less shifted the focus of Disney from movies to TV and the Theme park.  

And to be honest it's not hard to get Steve Jobs to throw a fit, he may be creative but he's never been known as someone who's easy to get along with.  Eisner was the same way so you basically have two people that are very similar in that regards so conflict was bound to happen.

I see the Pixar acquisition oppositely then the other people here, I see Disney just picking up the flavor of the month instead of trying to fix their problems internally.  Maybe having Jobs on their board will help fix some of those problems, though I doubt it since their problem is not something I think Jobs could fix or would want to.  What I see as wrong is that Disney is a traditional institution, what I mean by that is you can expect (or should) expect certain things from them like their "traditional" animation and family movies, I see Disney moving away from that traditional mindset which people expect.  

There's room for both the flashy, "hip" pixar or Dreamworks stuff, and the traditional Disney stuff.  Now yes some of Disney's problems does come with the scripts but the problem I've seen with their animation is that they don't know what they're supposed to be anymore so the movies come across confused and not as focused as they should have been.  And this hurts the sales due to it not finding the audience because no one knows who that audience is or they're something so different that while they find an audience, Emperor's new grove for example, the movie turns off the parents because they expect something else.