Author Topic: Nerdery #23: Now I must gas you!  (Read 1485 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Nerdery #23: Now I must gas you!
« on: June 14, 2005, 12:22:32 PM »
Read it here: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=1091

So that's why we were supposed to do a character background...
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Nerdery #23: Now I must gas you!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 04:21:29 AM »
I like doing articles where it's me just talking and not actually having much point to it, I know it's a little different then what you expect from nerderys.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 04:46:42 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 04:45:04 AM »
Sadly, Spriggan, my favourite Nerderies are the ones which have a focused point.  Like the one on what go buy for your gamer, or that one on "embracing the unknown".
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 09:42:29 AM »
I never said I thought it was better or even of greater value to the community then the ones you've listed, which I agree it's not, but I enjoyed writing it which is a rarity for me and these articles.  I'll let you in on a little secret: I don't enjoy writing Nerderys or many of the other articles that I do for this site.  While it might seem a little harsh to say so I view my duties here as an actual job and not a hobby as others do and I took up writing the Nerderys because we need non-review content for this site to keep our update-a-day method going and I wasn't about to let something like this fall by the wayside.  That is not to say I hate the Nerderys, quite the opposite I think Mr. P did a great job with them, or the other things I do here but I see it as more of a responsibility or a chore then anything else.

When Mr. P stopped doing Nerderys I "assigned" them to myself for several reasons being I wanted to try my hand at non-review article writing and I couldn't let something that's done well for us idly fall to the wayside.  Of course my methods of deeming what's important to the reader's here is obviously different then Mr. P or others that have taken their shot at writing one (like Kije or Jeffe) which is more or less "what ever I feel like writing about and I could care less if any single person actually though it was worth reading".  Actually I don't even think Nerderys should be used in ways like game ideas or advice but add them because Fell and SE poked me to do so when I took over.  I would like it if more people read them and liked what I wrote but I'm not the type of person who tries to write something that appeals to the most people if it wasn't something I liked myself.

Sure I, for the most part, try to add some nugget of advice since I know that's why people tend to read the article and I didn't bother much with that this time because I liked it the way it was.  I view this week's article as more of something writers do when they're brain storming where they just write and not care how it ends up and through this process get ideas for future projects, I myself managed to get several good topics out of this though they're probably not something most people would enjoy since they're more rant based.  Why didn't I add one of those to this article?  Because I didn't feel it was necessary nor did I want to waste one of my ideas on something that was already regular article length that I happed to think was a good article in it's own merits.

In the end it's just a matter of taste, I can assure you that I won't be writing so loosely all the time but it was refreshing after all the articles I've written in the past few months to do something that I felt I could write without sticking to a mold or preset notion on what it should be.  All I can ask is that if you read something and find it interesting or annoying to discuss it here because that's the best part about this site.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 09:43:56 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 10:29:09 AM »
I think, there, Sprig has caught the essence of the site. I'm really glad he's keeping up the Nerdery. It's been really good.

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 01:14:14 PM »
I'm quite flattered by this comment of Spriggan's:
Luckily my players are all very mature gamers so I know that I don't have to worry about too much complaining on whatever I decide to do

Wow! I'm considere a mature gamer, and this is my first RPG ever. ;) Although Spriggan probably thought it would be better to be all inclusive and include me in that statement (stretching the truth a tad) than to say, "They are all experienced gamers except Chimera who we only let into the group because she is EUOL's girlfriend and she wanted to try an RPG and even though she only knows what is going on half the time and has to have EUOL do her stats we tolerate her because she adds some feminine variety to the group."

Which is probably more accurate.

On another note, I think the concept of a GM for the players is much better than a GM with his own agenda. I'm really excited for the part of the RPG that will use my character background--I had a lot of fun coming up with it, and am interested to see how Spriggan involves it.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 01:49:27 PM »
"mature" in rpgs usually means more "not crying when something bad happens" and "not arguing stupid bits of rules with the GM" than it does "knowing the ins and outs of the system."
So I'm sure your mature.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 11:47:51 PM »
Ya what SE said.  

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 02:29:00 AM »
Yay! So I am mature. The GM said so, and what the GM says, goes.  ;)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 02:36:04 AM »
The GM also says you have to pay for his Howl's Moveing Castle ticket.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 12:53:24 PM »
Then the GM is going to find himself ticketless. Chimera doesn't even pay for her own ticket.