Author Topic: review: Races of the Dragon  (Read 3526 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: review: Races of the Dragon
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 05:41:17 PM »
I want to cast "Sticky Doorknob." Or maybe "Sticky Restaurant Chair."

"Power Word Lazy"
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 08:58:05 PM »
You forgot to mention how power-word-pain is supremely overpowered for a first level spell. I started restricting books based entirely on how powerful that spell was.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 09:13:12 AM »
WotC is so racists--they keep oppressing kobalds and other small-sized creatures. I hope there is much picketing in front of their offices.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 09:16:56 AM »
The only reason I asked Fell for this book to review, before sending it to SE, was I've always wanted to play a Kolbold in D&D.  Races of Dragons gives them some really nice racial feats that make them quite playable.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 12:30:16 PM »
semi-playable, imo. The -4 to strength is VERY harsh, esp since in addition to the -2 to Con, the only bonus they get to balance it is +2 to Dex. You'd think with all the focus on sorcery and bards they'd get a compensating bonus to Cha too. Of course that wouldn't jive with the Monster Manual, but new rules could counter that.

I wasn't happy at all with the write up for Kobolds.

/me casts Power Word Meh

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 03:20:23 PM »
the -4 strength is easily countered with alternate fighter class levels for the kobalds, that's the only core class that I know off that gives you attribute bonuses (+2 str and +2con at level 1).  With the new Dragonblooded feats (which kobalds count as) they're soccers can do some really cool stuff.

I think the game aspect of their write-up was quite good considering what they had to work with.  The kobalds stats have been set in stone for like 6 years now, there's no way the authors could retroactively change all that for this book.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 04:12:00 PM »
so because if you choose one class, one that's not favored for the race, you can counter act a MAJOR negative that affects EVERY class. Sorry, no, it's still lame, and very inconsistant with the write up.

There are other races that have access to the dragonblood feats too. Ones that don't have nearly the negatives kobolds get. They devoted half a page to why kobolds don't suck to play, and there wasn't a single worthwhile sentence on that page.

I don't see any reason why Kobold stats couldn't be revised. I think kobolds might have some potential. They're certainly cooler than gnomes. However, as written up, they pretty much just suck.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 04:20:47 PM »
 they are also Nazi's
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 04:21:08 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Mister M

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 04:45:29 PM »
This book sounded a lot more interesting when it was full of Nazi propoganda and satanic memes.
"When in Rome, do as the barbarians do. They won."

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 05:22:55 PM »
I think it would have actually been disappointing if they'd made Kobolds powerful, or even balanced. The entire purpose of a kobold's existence is so the goblins can have someone to push around--they're the weakest, wimpiest nobodies in the fantasy world. If you play them it's because you think that's funny, not because they're a good choice mechanically.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 05:26:04 PM »
I was fiddling with some goblin cavalry builds lately, and found that their stats (-2 str, -2 cha, +2 dex, with small size and a skill bonus to Ride) was pretty hard. Normally races that get lots of negatives get loads of bonuses. Consider all the base races - they get, usually, a +2, a -2, and a half-page of abilities. Goblins, Kobolds, etc, get nothing in comparison.

Dwarves

Also see the Dwarf monster listing.

* +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma.
   * Medium: As Medium creatures, dwarves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
   * Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
   * Darkvision: Dwarves can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and dwarves can function just fine with no light at all.
   * Stonecunning: This ability grants a dwarf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a dwarf can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
   * Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves may treat dwarven waraxes and dwarven urgroshes as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.
   * Stability: A dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
   * +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
   * +2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects.
   * +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against orcs and goblinoids.
   * +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type. Any time a creature loses its Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armor Class, such as when it’s caught flat-footed, it loses its dodge bonus, too.
   * +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to stone or metal items.
   * +2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone or metal.
   * Automatic Languages: Common and Dwarven. Bonus Languages: Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Terran, and Undercommon.
   * Favored Class: Fighter. A multiclass dwarf’s fighter class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing

Goblins As Characters

Goblin characters possess the following racial traits.

* -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma.
   * Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
   * A goblin’s base land speed is 30 feet.
   * Darkvision out to 60 feet.
   * +4 racial bonus on Move Silently and Ride checks.
   * Automatic Languages: Common, Goblin. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Giant, Gnoll, Orc.
   * Favored Class: Rogue.

FFS, the entry on goblins even says 'goblins with class levels count as their levels -2 for CR purposes'. Thats great for NPC's, but pretty poor showing for something thats a PC race in Eberron.

Of course, I'd play a goblin anyway just for the background and such, but it'd be nice to not have to take huge penalties just for a cool background. Same for ECL races - i'm very unimpressed that WotC couldn't make races like the Githzerai and Tiefling normal races without ECL - having one less level is a huge penalty, one that is never balanced out by any number of racial trinkets.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 05:28:27 PM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 09:20:12 AM »
See, something that would be balancing, would be the ability to call on reinforcements. The idea of kobold strategy is to overwhelm with numbers after the traps fail. Well, why not be able to call on a small horde to help you for some missions. It'd be like free temporary henchmen.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 10:24:30 AM »
We already knew goblins sucked from when 42 played his mounted half-celestial goblin paladin.  Good thing that he had very high base attributes and half-celestial template.

Goblin reinforcements wouldn't be too helpful, you could get better canon fodder from spells or even Leadership.  More funny would be if they had a sort of automatic raise dead, "Infinate Cousins" - if you die, then within 1 day you get replaced by a cousin (with same stats and levels just to keep things going).

But for hordes of goblins, I'd say just use Leadership and for a cohort you could get a Worg mount.  But the sad part is in the end, a human with Leadership who gets human followers and cohort would be more powerful.  So I'd still vote for like 3 extra lives or so in the form of identical cousins, lol.  Oh and your hordes of goblins should have Swarmfighting feat, cause that would be awesome (2 golbins per square)... but yet again halflings could take the same feat and be even more deadly, cause goblins will always be worthless.

Kobalds are in the same boat, unless you count that totally broken spell from Serpent Kingdom.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2006, 10:31:34 AM »
see, the bonus would be in them being free feats. So while the halfling is choosing swarmfighting, the goblins are choosing improved knockdown or something. Imagine a horde of kobolds with swarmfighting and improved knockdown. SUddenly you've got 16 yipping lizards standing on your head stabbing at you and you don't get your dodge or AC bonuses because you're prone.