Author Topic: Little Folklore fun  (Read 1499 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Little Folklore fun
« on: March 28, 2004, 07:33:25 PM »
So, this is where you should post all the fun little legends and myths you hear. I'll start off.

There is this lovely little castle in the Scottish Highlands. The name escapes me, but it was destroyed during the Jacobite rebellions. The English swine placed barrels of gunpower in it and detonated it. Then, about 150 years ago, some nutty Victorians decided to re-build it. The legend goes that one chap, who spend decades on this endevour, drew some rough designs of what he saw to be the castles floorplan in a dream. Then, when they went to Edinburgh to get the floorplans, they found them to be an exact match.

Probably the chap was lying about the dream, but its a nice little story anyway. Anyone else got any?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Sminja

• Level 10
  • I'm the productive one!
    • View Profile
Re: Little Folklore fun
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004, 07:42:33 PM »
Can they be erie stories? Like, local haunts, etc.?
"Look, if we're gonna cooperate with anyone at a time like this, it might as well be that hot chick over there!"-Cliff, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 02:18:21 AM »
I'm sure the Mormons on the board could all come up with folklore about the three Nephites.  ;) I actually can't remember any specific tales, but there are so many variations on it that really, you could make up a story and add three big guys.

Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 03:46:00 PM »
Three big guys walk into a bar...
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 03:54:48 PM »
There's the story about the MTC President (it applies to any of them, it's told about them as soon as they are released) who goes to the temple to pray for the missionaries, and he looks out hte window of the Celestial room (which in real life, are frosted if I remember right) and sees the MTC surrounded by angels that look like Nephites fighting demons that look like Lamanites off the walls.

Because you know, they couldn't come in the doors. And angles always dress a couple thousand years out of style.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 04:02:00 PM »
Well, and it seems to me like those Lamanite demons are free to do what they will -- the MTC hardly seemed like a temptation-free zone.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 07:01:12 PM »
Can they be erie stories? Like, local haunts, etc.?

Don't see why not.  Unless the others object for some reason, go for it.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 07:12:21 PM »
During the American Civil War in Virginia there was a very fat man who lived near Petersburg.
One day as the war was coming to an end he went out into his yard to wistfull watch the Union Soldiers march down the road, when suddenly four or five men in blue ran up to him screaming and hollering "Here he is by God! We found him!
The whooped and they hollared and the man became very frightend because he heard that the Yankees were hanging suspected spies. Well all the yelling attracted the attention of a young union Cavalry General named Custer who came riding up resplendent on his yellow colt. "What the devil is all this commotion about! he demanded authoritatively. The most Serious of the men looked at him and said... "Beggin your pardon general, but we found him.
"Found who"
"The man who swallowed our base drum sir!"
"Base drum" the general exclaimed, "well boy youd best cut out the whole orchestra while your getting that out!!"
At that the fat man fainted and everyone had a good laugh.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Master Xaio

• Level 13
  • All power corrupts, absolute power's even more fun
    • View Profile
    • Eradicator II RPG
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2004, 10:25:56 PM »
Ok then, I heard about this from my dad who used to live up near there...
And I know there are *heaps* of variations to this, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

Up near Byron Bay, there is a stretch of road inland.  Now someone who lived along that road died.  She was quite a hitchhiker.  She was confirmed dead. (I can't remember how).  However, after she was dead, people kept on stopping to pick up someone who looked exactly like this girl.  They were all asked to drop her off at the same spot, somewhere the girl liked to hitchhike to before she was killed.  However, when they got to the place where they wanted to drop her off, she was no longer in the car.  No trace.  And when they were going at say 80km an hour, its a little hard to get out of a car unnoticed...

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams"
William Yeats, 'He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven'.

Sminja

• Level 10
  • I'm the productive one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2004, 04:54:08 PM »
Well, in New Jersey (I don't live there, my brother does, right now) there are many creepy tales and places, myths, if you will. There's a road (I'm not sure exactly what city its in) called Clinton Road, which is 10 miles long, and winds through the barren pines of this city, an undeveloped part of New Jersey. Somewhere alng the road, there is a bridge over a pond. Stories say that if you toss a coin, or object, into the pond, the ghost of a boy who was drowned there will walk up to the orad and give it back to you. Also, from New Jersey, legend tells of a mysterious beast who roams the forests, called the Jersey Devil. You have probably heard of it sometime or another. anyway, this thing terrorizes chicken coops, livestock, and the like. It's also been known to attack humans.  Go to www.weirdnj.com to find out mor about...well...weird NJ...
"Look, if we're gonna cooperate with anyone at a time like this, it might as well be that hot chick over there!"-Cliff, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2004, 07:29:30 PM »
Just outside of karegaine in the tenebre nox woods live three evil demons known as the guinness loqui. they where once women, but have long since been cursed for their loose morals and explicit behavior. they were cursed with horribly ugly bodies and a taste for human blood, but not just any human blood, no, the blood of little children. It is said that if little children venture into the tenebre nox at night the guinness loqui will jump up out of the boomers and drag the children underground and drink all of their blood.
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/