Author Topic: Timewasting at the WWII Memorial  (Read 1320 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Timewasting at the WWII Memorial
« on: May 31, 2004, 11:15:51 AM »
article reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=757

Personally, I thought Jeffe took some really nice shots. They had a poster in the Post yesterday which came out kinda blurry and had really bright artificial lights (they took it at night). I think many of Jeffe's turned out much better.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: Timewasting at the WWII Memorial
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 11:44:05 AM »
yay! Better than the Post!

:)

Well I took all these with a borrowed Sony Mavica 2 megapixel digital camera at low resolution (so I could fit more than 5 pictures on a floppy. And no I didnt photoshop any of them.

Its appropriate that this got published today, since the monument has been consecrated and dedicated (Saturday).

If your in town, its one of the great free places to go, in fact the whole mall is a great place to be. The contoversy surrounding the memorial is funny to a semi-capital area native like me. (semi because I wasn't born here, just that I've lived here all my life) because every museum, and monument built in my lifetime has been controversial.

Some people say the monument is the type of monument the Nazi's or Fasicsts would have built, while others say its too bland, or too warlike. To take in the site, you have to take in the whole vista of the mall though, the view from the steps at the front of the memorial down the reflecting pool to the Lincoln Memorial,  and from the rainbow pool to the towering washington monument.

The site takes up a small area of the land it was allotted, and connects the past to the present in a very real way. The men who fought and died in World War II
did so because of the spirt and vision of Washington and Lincoln, they fought because they were called like Cincinattus to serve the people and governement of the United States, because it was the decent and noble thing to do, because men needed to be free, to worship, to govern. When the war ended they went back to their little lives, in their little towns. Satisfied that they had done a good job and a good thing.

Its important that we should look at the monument in that light, as opposed to the light of War that is now being shined on it thanks to our current war.

I think we can say justly and honestly that the world would have been a worse place if the United States hadn't gone to war. Without much needed support, Britain and the USSR might have been conquored, or more likely forced to capitulate. Austrialia and New Zealand would have probably fallen and become Japanese colonies.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 01:20:06 PM »
For a 2 mega pixal camera thost came out amazeing Jeffe, you realy have an eye for the angles to shoot from.  One of you (SE or Jeffe) should have asked me, I could have formatted the article and made thumbnails for you.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 01:26:40 PM »
well, I thought about thumbnails, but as it is, with the popups, i spent more time than I typically do. so since I was capable, and didn't want to, I didn't ask anyone. However, if you want to, I don't think any of us are against further formatting (let me know if I'm wrong, Jeffe). If you have a plan that will make it look nice with thumbnails and want to do the work, go for it!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2004, 01:39:49 PM »
I like links better than thumbs, but it could use some better formatting.

and thanks for the compliment Sprig.

/me blushes
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 01:40:02 PM by ElJeffe »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2004, 01:49:45 PM »
Well with how many pictures you have it would be a bad idea to place thumbnails of all of them in the article.  I was thinking of placeing only one or two in the article.  What 2 are your favorite or think would stand out in the article?  That's all I was realy planning on doing, if there's anything else you'd like done let me know, I can pretty much do anything to the article (includeing changeing the font).
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 01:56:08 PM by ElJeffe »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2004, 04:23:14 PM »
3 grandfathers? I'm confused.

Nice pictures!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2004, 04:25:19 PM »
My dads mother remarried