Author Topic: Something Terrible and a Request  (Read 2123 times)

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Something Terrible and a Request
« on: May 23, 2005, 01:01:52 AM »
My graduation party was on the 22nd.  Big affair, lots of people and lots of fun.

My sister, who is four years younger than me, was helping my grandmother get the parking brake unstuck from her minivan which was on a hill.  Something went wrong and my sister ended up pinned between the minivan and the floor of the woods at the bottom of the hill. Fortunately, many of my family are volunteer fireman/EMTs and as such there was a crew of skilled care workers right on hand.  

She was taken to the local hospital where we learned she had fractured her tenth lumbar vertebre.  She was airlifted to Barnes hospital in St. Louis, which is near where I live.

We found out the bad news soon after that.  Two of her vertebrae were 100% dislocated, sheering the spinal cord.  It is mostly, if not all, severed.  We won't know for sure until rehab starts, but she'll most likely never walk again.

She goes into surgery tomorrow to fuse the spine so she can sit upright.  It's a seven hour surgery and she may need another after that.  Then we'll know how bad the damage really is.  

For those who haven't met her, my sister is near-saintlike.  She lives to serve others. She's been on countless mission trips to other countries and spends her summers working for Campus Crusade for Christ.  She has the deepest faith of anyone I have ever met and that's one of the things that is getting her through this.  She's the strongest person I know.

She's also a very active young lady.  She loves playing all types of sports, hiking, backpacking, biking, and pretty much anything that keeps her active.  While she is pursuing a nursing degree, she's always longed to coach volleyball.  Knowing that she may not be able to participate in her passions breaks my heart as I type this.

We have a tight community in my hometown and the outpouring of support has been nothing less than amazing.   People are bending over backwards to make our lives as easy as possible as we spend days in the hospital.  Right now there are hundreds, if not thousands, of people praying for my sister now.  I know we have over 30 churches involved.  This support is what she is drawing strength from.

That's why we need more.  If you pray, please keep my sister Jessi in your thoughts in prayers.  If you don't pray, please send some good vibes her way.  She needs all the help she can get right now.

Also, my grandma was slightly injured but is doing fine other than her misplaced guilt on blaming herself for what was a complete accident.  My grandpa, her husband, has a very bad heart and does not deal well with this kind of news which led to him being admitted to the hospital on the same night as my sister and grandma and his weak heart started to act up.  Both grandma and grandpa are physically fine now, but emotionally distraut. Please keep them in your prayers too.

Thanks to all of you in advance.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Something Terrible and a Request
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 01:21:15 AM »
I'm so sorry.
I wish the best for your sister, you, and your family.
I will be prayer for all of you.

Fittingly (ironicly?), I was reading this as you were posting.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 09:05:29 AM »
Your sister and your family are in my prayers, Dr. P. I'm sorry to hear this news.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 09:40:56 AM »
Ouch.... that's horrible.  :'(

Small consolation might be the recent strides forward in cybernetic - style walking frames. A japanese company has working prototyes that do all the walking for the person, but i'm not sure if it goes off hand inputs (joystick etc) or if it simply amplifies the movement in the legs.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 09:54:14 AM »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 01:04:25 PM »
I'm sorry Mr. P.  My little family and I will pray for your sister.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 01:17:26 PM »
She and your family are in my prayers, too, Dr. P. I hope they're able to at least stabilize her. That's a horrible thing to happen--but from the way you describe her character, she'll be able to handle it and use it to bless others' lives eventually, too.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 01:38:29 PM »
We'll definitely be praying for you guys, Mr. P. If there's anything else we can do, let us know.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 02:11:02 PM »
Same, just let me know if you need something.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 01:53:01 AM »
Thanks, everyone for your thoughts and prayers.

She had surgery today to fuse the spine and it was a complete success.  We also found out that the spine was crushed, not severed.  The doctor's prognosis remained the same, but it gave all of us a little hope she'll get some feeling back below her hips.

The outpouring of support from our community and from her friends in numerous Chrisitan organizations has been amazing.  People are praying for her worldwide now.  That's all we have to hold us together, but right now it's enough.

She's been stronger and more brave through this than I could ever imagine being.  

Your prayers are being heard.

I'll keep you all up to date.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2005, 01:57:42 AM »
Well its a good sign that the surgery went well and that the spine wasn't severed.  Hopefuly things will continue to go well.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2005, 09:04:59 AM »
Miracles can happen, and if she works hard, who knows what she can do!

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2005, 12:43:16 PM »
She was moved to rehab yesterday...the same place that Christopher Reeves went to actually.  They haven't been able to get her pain regulated since they stopped the morphine pump so it's been a rough couple of days.

No improvement either.  There's still hope of her getting something back, though.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2005, 08:56:09 PM »
I'm not a praying man, but I wish the best for her and will ask those I know who do pray to do so for her.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Archon

• Level 27
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2005, 09:27:56 PM »
I am very sorry Mr. P, and I hope that everything works out for the best.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus