Author Topic: RIP Totally Awesome Computers  (Read 2260 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
RIP Totally Awesome Computers
« on: March 04, 2006, 12:25:03 AM »
NO MORE SUPERDELL ADS!!!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
 http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=171274

It's odd though, no one knows why, though he was on the news calling all reporters "angels of Satan" and told them if they all died now they'd go straight to hell.  Aww..SuperDell how we'll miss your antics.

If you've got a TWC the guys over at PC laptops are honoring all warranties for the next 3 months.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 12:29:19 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: RIP Totally Awesome Computers
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 01:25:32 AM »
From the article, it seems SuperDell really is as crazy as his ads made him out to be.  And to think I once thought of buying one of those . . .

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 01:49:21 AM »
Eek. That guy was freakin' annoying. His commercials made me cringe. Angels of Satan, hmm? lol.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 02:58:15 AM »
I wonder if this has to do with that friend of his who died in a shoot-out with the cops last year. That's the kind of thing that could push a guy over the edge, especially when you're already standing as close as this guy was.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 03:01:02 AM »
whoa. Never heard about that. I *did* hear about how he foiled this guy who was conning him. Something to do with some illegally procured Hummers. He set up this "sting" operation and everything. Of course, he'd already shelled out some money to the crook by the time he sat up and smelled the swindling.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 03:01:36 AM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 02:59:18 PM »
apparently since the Gun waving incident in Draper his business has dropped by as much as 60% in some stores and he blames that drop on the media's coverage of him.

Here's a full quote from him about it.

"It's too bad that all of the media in Utah are liars and murderers," he said. "You just destroyed the greatest computer company of all time. We were the best in the world, the world champion. All this hatred was created by you. You're basically angels of Satan. All I can say to the people in Utah is, please pray for all the news people."
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,635189251,00.html
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 02:59:33 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 09:28:57 AM »
Maybe it's because his business was crap. When I was putting together a box for myself I went in and asked if they carried something and they started basically telling me that I was an idiot for wanting that model.

Great way to run a business! Someone who asks for a very specific processor and has obviously done their research comes in and you tell him he's a dork. Yeah, I'll recommend you!

Gits.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 09:50:56 AM »
I'm actually really bummed that they closed.  I bought a PC from them about four years ago, and love it, and love their warranty, and have never had anything but good experiences with their service.  It's getting time to buy a new machine, and I was planning on getting it from them.  Alas.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Tink

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 12:49:32 PM »
All I know is my husband had the same experience as E. He was building his own computer and went there to see if they had something and they treated him like crap. He decided to never go back there.

I think that SuperDell is crazy. Who carries around a concealed gun (even with a permit) for no apparent reason, and then starts waving it around? He claims that he was being attacked, but when I heard the story on the news I didn't get that. All I got was that he was crazy and endangering his daughter and all those around him. He says that the media is to blame, but here's an idea: don't be crazy and do crazy things and the media will have nothing to show on the news!

JenaRey

• Level 7
  • Give me chocolate...or. ..there is no or.  Gi
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 12:58:20 PM »
I had a similar experience at TAC with being treated like a moron.  It was the...not only are you a moron for building your own computer, but you're also a girl and are you sure you wouldn't like us buff burley men to build the computer for you.  Thanks, no, go away.

And as far as the concealed carry permit, he's one of the scary ones that you get warned about in CCW classes.  Those that take the classes and get the permit, but never actually take to heart what you're taught in class.  I've had my permit for a long time, and only actually carry when I'm on my way to the range, or when I've had to do midnight work downtown.  Having a CCW permit doesn't make people automatic idiots, but putting one into the hands of someone that is at least half way there on their own is a bit dangerous.
http://realitybypass.8m.com

You know you wanna...

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 02:06:32 PM »
IMHO, superdell is either very bipolar or on illegal drugs.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 02:07:56 PM »
It seems like the split between "we like TAC" and "we hate TAC" runs down pretty clear lines. Those of you that hated it were trying to build your own computer, and those that like it just wanted TAC to build one for them. Given that TAC is not a component store (to my knowledge) but a place that specialized in building computers for people, that makes sense.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 02:25:43 PM »
They had no problem trying to cell me an Intel processor without the other parts. It was the "AMD sucks" that got me.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 02:38:43 PM »
To be honest, the salesman I bought from was kind of condescending, too -- even after I was shelling out cash for the computer.  But they always had my business (and always would, if they remained open) because they made great computers, and had great warranties.

(It's always annoyed me that people refused to shop there on principle -- the principle being that Superdell is crazy.  If you're getting a great product, deal with it.)
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006, 02:40:10 PM »
Yeah, if you want business, it's not good to treat potential customers like crap. A better way is to help them as much as you can and if you can't help them, still be nice. I'm pretty sure my husband told people of his experience every time TAC was brought up. Not good for business.