Author Topic: Ten tips guaranteed to get MS looked at  (Read 16569 times)

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Ten tips guaranteed to get MS looked at
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2006, 12:35:27 PM »
I just feel compelled to post the picture I will now be sorely tempted to include with my query letter when I finish my memoir:

tada!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2006, 01:11:02 PM »
wow, that picture reminds me vaguely of someone famous that I can't remember the name of.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2006, 02:33:19 PM »
Whoa, that's a winner. Tuff, very tuff. Werewolfian mega-soldier.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

guitarbabe

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I have many true loves, I'm just not that true!
    • View Profile
    • www.stephaniefowers.com
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2006, 07:10:40 PM »
Whoa, who's that? He's cute behind all that hair!
"You’ve got more issues than National Geographic!"

"You’re like a soggy brown banana, the only use for you now is to get cooked."

www.stephaniefowers.com

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2006, 07:11:48 PM »
Is you a war-woof?
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Lady_Playerpocket

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2006, 07:47:06 PM »
Well it looks like the real debate here is on just how hott Skarlicious is!  I'd buy your book ow ow!  

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2006, 10:27:31 PM »
Is you a war-woof?

hahaha! Priceless.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2006, 12:35:10 AM »
By the way, welcome to the boards, Jamestown!
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Jamestown

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • jamesdashner.com
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2006, 02:53:13 AM »
By the way, welcome to the boards, Jamestown!

Thanks for the welcome. The new guy on one of these forums always feels like an idiot, so thanks. Hey, it was so fun talking to you on the way to the airport---I owe Dan "Free" Willis a favor for being too scared to drive in the snow.

If any of you guys live in Provo, I'm speaking at the library tomorrow (tonight?) at 7:00. Of course, most of you probably got plenty of Dashner blabber at LTUE. Enough already! Shut it!

That dude in the picture up there looks a lot like me, by the way, except I'm way uglier and don't have a lot of hair like that.

Talk about a disjointed message. See ya.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2006, 03:20:04 AM »
So he looks a lot like you, except not actually anything like you?

Kinda like how I look a lot like Jessica Alba.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but it's ten minutes until I go home from work and I'm bored.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

guitarbabe

• Level 7
  • I have many true loves, I'm just not that true!
    • View Profile
    • www.stephaniefowers.com
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2006, 10:36:24 AM »
That's James Dashner speaking at 7:00 at the Provo library tonight (22nd) btw. He's the writer of a 'Door in the Woods,' 'A Gift of Ice,' 'The Tower of Air,' The War of the Black Curtain.' Those...heck, I'm gonna announce this somewhere else because I'm thinking this is going to be a good lecture (well, that I wouldn't want to miss).

Hee hee, it might just start another great new debate!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 10:37:10 AM by guitarbabe »
"You’ve got more issues than National Geographic!"

"You’re like a soggy brown banana, the only use for you now is to get cooked."

www.stephaniefowers.com

Jamestown

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • jamesdashner.com
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2006, 11:19:34 AM »
So he looks a lot like you, except not actually anything like you?

Kinda like how I look a lot like Jessica Alba.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but it's ten minutes until I go home from work and I'm bored.

Sorry, that was my lame attempt to make a joke. I only wish I was a sexy soldier-lookin dude so someone would say ow-ow about me. By the way, that's the first time I've ever used the words sexy and ow-ow in an email.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2006, 11:29:04 AM »
Cool.  Who were you emailing?
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Jamestown

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • jamesdashner.com
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2006, 12:12:17 PM »
Pardon my subpar usage of computer speak---it slipped. I humbly admit that I never sent an email, and I am ashamed.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2006, 12:21:00 PM »
All right, perhaps I should throw in my comments.  

The list of ten is quite excellent, and articulated very well, in eight of its points.  I really think every aspiring author should know those things, and should take them to heart.

I quibble soundly with the two that are being debated here, however.  On the SASE--I have heard numerous editors and agents say that they throw away, without reading a paragraph, any submission that arrives without a SASE.  This goes for both prose and queries.  Their rational?  That if a person can't read their submission guidelines--which usually ask for a SASE--and do what they're told, then they aren't going to be someone professional enough to work with.  

Remember, editors and agents can be a picky bunch.  Not sending a SASE certainly has some flair to it--however, my instinct is that for every editor with whom you gain a bit of psychological ground by not sending a SASE, there will be ten whom you annoy, and therefore toss your query out of spite.

My agent sent be back an acceptance via letter.  (Acceptance meaning "Sure, let me see the first fifty pages.")  Then, he rejected that submission via letter.  He's one of the particular ones (any of you who have met him can vouch for this.)  If I hadn't sent a SASE, he wouldn't have responded to my query--the query that eventually ended up fostering a long-term professional relationship between us.  

The argument against sending one just sounds too weak to me.  It seems that Mr. Savage is stirring up a hornet's nest intentionally (Which, honestly, isn't a bad thing--that's one of the things authors do.  They create discussions.)  However, this just strikes me as something that he can claim is 'mind blowing new advice' in order to hook people in to his lecture.  

As for the photo...well, seems like good advice in some markets, which are more bestseller-driven.  In sf/f, I'm not convinced.  One of my students asked me about this, actually, long before this conversation started.  I guess he'd heard one of Mr. Savage's lectures.  So, I emailed my editor.  I'll share part of the response here:

(My question, in full:)
>Today in class one of my students mentioned that an author he knows recommended putting a photo of oneself  in with every submission.  The rational is that the editors want to see that an author is photogenic before they commit to a book.

>> What do you think?  (So that I can tell my students.)  What would you think if a photo came with a submission?  Would you think it was strange, or would you appreciate it?

(Moshe's--editor at Tor Books--response:)

What an interesting question.

My answer:  I would think it was strange.

In my opinion, anyone who bought a book, or didn't buy a book, because of the author's appearance, is an idiot. After all, you don't have to show an author photo if you don't want to, and most authors don't even get the chance to be on TV. What matters is the text, and how readers respond to it.

Sure, a handsome or pretty author is a promotional advantage, but luckily, it's editors who buy the books, not the publicity people. (Actually, smart assery aside, most publicity people I know would rather have a great book and an ugly author rather than an average book and a beautiful one.)

So, while I think Mr. Savage has some excellent points, and is good at making a discussion, I don't really agree with his two controversial items.  
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 12:21:21 PM by EUOL »
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch