Author Topic: The Mists  (Read 16915 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: The Mists
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2008, 09:40:25 PM »
Official answer: The earring is bronze...with a steel-colored/silver-colored metallic coating which has gradually worn away.

In the initial drafts I think the earring was silver. Brandon changed it to bronze for obvious reasons, but stuck in that bit about its coating color (in MB2) just in case any reference (such as the one Vintage found) slipped through.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

darxbane

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2008, 09:46:51 PM »
Thanks for the info, Ookla.  This could have gone on for days otherwise.  :D
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2008, 11:34:38 PM »
So the earring is bronze for sure then, if we are right about hemalurgy, then that explains why Vin can pierce copper clouds, but it doesn't explain why she is soo good at soothing or why she is able to almost mathc kelsier in a push match after a month of training, even though he is way heavier.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2008, 01:19:05 AM »
I think the explanation for that is just what it says in the book. Soothing she learned from long necessity and unintentional practice, making do with very little raw material. Kelsier never really practiced soothing; he didn't have the patience to learn its subtleties. Vin still isn't as good as Breeze though (except perhaps in raw power, especially using duralumin).

Matching Kelsier at pushing... Maybe that's just because of her bloodline. Didn't TenSoon say something about allomancers being much stronger in the past? I don't remember the specifics of that practice session...how was she anchored?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2008, 06:52:14 AM »
Notice how Ookla said "changed it to bronze for obvious reasons". Thanks for confirming that small part of the theory :P
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2008, 01:47:14 PM »
Right.  Vin is stronger because her power is less diluted.  she was up against a tree and Kelsier was up against one of the city walls.  The tree began to break from the force, but she wouldn't stop.  That would be a great scene in the movie, by the way.  That coin had to be as thin as a sheet of paper afterwards.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2008, 07:58:43 PM »
I think it's more than her pure blood line that gives Vin her power, there's something else there, I think.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2008, 09:20:56 PM »
She drinks Red Bull with raw eggs every morning ;D  Seeing as her power is so close to Zane's, it would make sense that her bloodline is a major factor.  However, seeing as they both also had Hemallurgy piercings, that could be part of it, too.  Although, losing her earring didn't make her less powerful.  She began to see the blue lines coming from Rashek's armbands before she drew upon the mists.  She pushed harder because she realized that what she had been told was not exactly true.  Everyone assumed it was impossible to manipulate metal within one's body, but in fact you just needed enough power.  I bet duralumin with the mists would make for some ridiculous ability.  She could probably rip an Inquisitor apart (wouldn't that be cool).

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2008, 12:12:29 AM »
EUOL stands for Evil Undead OverLord. (It's partially a reference to this)

For example, look at the Hemalurgy thread at my gigantic, 3000-word post, and you'll distinctly see that I figured out the meaning of when I referenced this Sazed quote:

All the legends agree that the first Allomancers appeared when the mists came out.
Heh heh heh. You want to think you've got that one figured out.

(Any further discussion of this should be continued in some other thread, though.)

(Ported from "Sad Day" topic).

That's just what you want me to think, Ookla! I'm too smart for reverse-psychology to succeed!

Either that or I'm a complete madman.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2008, 04:17:27 PM »
I am having trouble finding your explanation of that phrase.  Is it the fact that Alendi was being followed by the Mist Spirit before he was killed?  Which of course would mean that the Mists were around before Rashek took the Well's power.  As stated before, everything said by the characters has to be taken with a grain of salt, especially when they are quoting historical "facts" from metalminds.  Chaos, If you could post that particular thought, I would love to read it.

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2008, 05:38:03 PM »
Maybe the Mist Spirit is only a form that Preservation took to be able to act somehow. After all, the mist itself cannot seem to be able to do much (and there must be something else that hides in the mist during the day for it to kill). The Mist Spirit can use a metal knife...

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2008, 06:03:09 PM »
That is certainly possible.  Did it actually use a physical knife?  I thought it just formed the mists into a sharp object or something like that.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2008, 06:07:56 PM »
Well, what I meant with the problem-solving aspects of the quote in question was that, since it is clear the mists existed in some form before the Ascension, the Lord Ruler did something to them to create Allomancy.

You see, my logic is that Allomancy is a result of the mists. The mists allow you to burn metals. I have two primary pieces of evidence to support this:

1. The mists come towards you as you use Allomancy. The mists would need to be present in your stomach to "burn" the metals, so the interaction of the mind to use Allomancy is actually the method of pulling the mists towards you so you CAN use Allomancy.
2. Vin draws upon the mists, which increased her Allomantic ability. Now it seems so painfully obvious. Allomancers are always channeling the mists to use their magic, so if you were Vin, and were suddenly able to channel a lot more of the mists, you could burn more metals.

Hope that made sense... I always worry that my logic is a bit too roundabout to be cohesive.

Now, if Allomancy is the result of mist-pulling and the mists existed before the Ascension, then perhaps a primary thing the Lord Ruler did to the mists was to "enable" them to be pulled. The mists aren't going to do it by itself, or else, we would've seen Allomancers before the Ascension.

You could say the 15th metal (which was unofficially coined "Partum" recently--see the 16th Metal topic) granted Allomancy. But, you would need to burn said metal to gain the Allomantic abilities. It's like the chicken and the egg: how can you gain Allomancy--which if you burned Partum, you would get--if you don't already have Allomancy to begin with?

I can think of two explanations. First, it could be that Partum doesn't actually give with Allomancy with Allomantic burning, but with the use of a different magic system. A second, more likely, explanation is that the Lord Ruler created the metal to pull the mists to an Allomancer (Note that atium is not a real metal. This must be intentional on Brandon's part, so we can assume that Partum (15th metal) and Dispartum (16th metal) can also be an imagined metal). Thus, the Lord Ruler essentially changed the way the mists interact with people.

Or, conversely, the Lord Ruler changed the mists directly with the power of Preservation. It has been shown--and I believe--that Ruin and Preservation act through the mists. Ruin uses the Deepness-mists, and Preservation through the mist-spirit (supposedly). The Well of Ascension has Ruin in it, or Preservation, or both. Either way, the Lord Ruler would have the ultimate way to use the mists by gaining any of those forces.

Since I am utterly convinced that the three magics are based upon the mists and R/P utilize the mists for their will, it can be assumed that R/P can affect the magic systems (because anything based on the mists can be utilized by R and P both). I presume this is how Ruin can manipulate the Terris Prophecies in the metalminds--while it hasn't been shown that Feruchemy is mist-based, it seems to be a logical supposition, and it explains Ruin's manipulation of Feruchemy. Also, Ruin uses Hemalurgy somehow to talk to people with Hemalurgic metals in them. We can only imagine how insanely powerful Ruin could be with Allomancy.

Last tangent: I just thought of a way to defeat Ruin. Vin could destroy the mists. Don't ask me how, but if Ruin uses the mists to perform its will, then wouldn't destroying its most powerful tool essentially cripple it forever? Unfortunately, that would also mean our three magic systems are also destroyed, but at least Ruin is defeated.

Back on task, the Lord Ruler created Allomancy, literally, by bringing out the mists and allowing the mists to be pulled. So, it can be fairly easy to think that the legends for the creation of Allomancers would involve the mists with them. The mists and Allomancy are irrevocably intertwined.

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2008, 06:33:25 AM »
1. The mists come towards you as you use Allomancy. The mists would need to be present in your stomach to "burn" the metals, so the interaction of the mind to use Allomancy is actually the method of pulling the mists towards you so you CAN use Allomancy.

I like a lot of your logic in this post, but one part about this part specifically doesn't sit well with me.

You can burn metals during the day.  You can also burn them inside.  Plus, if the mists were around and you breathed them in, they would be in your lungs (not your stomach) where they wouldn't stay long.

I guess it could be possible that you store up the mist inside you, and it fuels your allomancy, but it seems like if that was the case we would of had some subtle sign about it.   

True, we don't know exactly why Vin was able to "draw upon the mist" and what exactly that did, but we do know that in every other case in the book someone has used allomancy, the only thing they needed was the metal (and the skill of a Misting/Mistborn).  With the metal they could use it, without the metal they couldn't.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2008, 03:48:56 PM »
Well, I think the mists are present, day or night. Think of it from a Physics perspective: there exists the Law of Conservation of Mass. It means that matter can't be created or destroyed. Now, I understand this is fantasy so we can manipulate physical laws like that, but come on. Do the mists get "destroyed" just because it's daytime (during the LR's time, of course)? That would mean the Lord Ruler would need to create a new massive set of mists every nighttime when they came out, which would be ridiculous. He's not that powerful.

Just because we can't see the mists doesn't mean it doesn't exist in the day or in buildings. They could just be invisible, for all we know.

(Then again, I don't really know. But when I put it like that, it sounds awfully good, right?)