Author Topic: The Mists  (Read 16791 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: The Mists
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2008, 07:37:18 PM »
I think Brandon is a great writer. ;) Everything's so well thought-out, and the clues are there.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Vintage

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2008, 07:55:54 PM »
You give me a lot to think about, Darxbane. I have to admit I never gave a thought to hemallurgy before I came here. But I wanted to read these passages about the mist and I just cant right now. My thinking is, if the mist has a mind of its own (not the Mist Spirit, but the mist swirls), it would not act only because of hemallurgy, but it would take into consideration a few other things. I do not think the mist was always fleeing Zane - cant affirm it though, I have to read the whole of Mistborn 2 first - , except when he really fights Vin. If the inquisitors were not supporting the mist action, why would they stick around them ? I got to find those passages and give them some serious thinking.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2008, 10:06:55 PM »
Whoa whoa whoa. Hold up. Zane repels the mists? I don't remember that at all!

If you happen to have page numbers for reference, that would be great. I think I just never cared for Zane's viewpoint, so I could have missed that clue entirely.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2008, 11:56:09 PM »
Whoa whoa whoa. Hold up. Zane repels the mists? I don't remember that at all!
Are you sure?  I'm sure you've commented about that before.

Interesting theory darxbane, it would definately make sense the who opposites attract, likes repel.  Allomancy is a lot like a science, and with all the pushing and pulling and metal, your theory would make sense.  That would make allomancy the opposite of the mists (but what does it mean for people who can draw upon this mist like Vin, is drawing on them the same reaction as the swirling of the mist around allomancers?
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2008, 01:25:56 AM »
About Zane p. 445

Zane stood on the balcony, his figure a black silhouette in the mists. He stepped forward, the mist following around him, as it did around anyone burning metals. And yet... it also seemed to be pushing away from him slightly.

I agree, it is not much, but it is there. However it is the only mention, to my knowledge... As for Vin, I just can't remember when otherwise I'd go straight to the chapter, but it is Elend that notices.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 01:28:38 AM by Vintage »

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2008, 06:37:17 AM »
No, I've completely missed that part entirely, and I've certainly never mentioned that Zane actually pushes away the mists. I've mentioned Zane has a spike--which, to be fair, I had missed before I came to TWG and reread WoA after learning of that. It's one of those "Wth, that's actually IN there!?" moments.

As I've said before, I have never EVER liked Zane. Rereading Well of Ascension, and I still don't like him. My brain must automatically tune out that way.

So, what does that quote tell us? Mists can be moving towards you (from the Allomancy), but it can also be pushing away simultaneously. Obviously, the spike (plus Hemalurgy) is the thing that is causing the mists pushing away. This tells us something: the more metal in your body, the more the mists push away, because of course, Steel Inquisitors have more metal and it is blatantly obvious that they are pushing the mists away. With Zane, its barely noticeable.

That could be the biggest thing about Hemalurgy we've figured out as of yet.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2008, 07:57:57 PM »
Yes the number of spikes or amount of metal woud be proportionate to the number of skaa sacrifices (still going with this one guys, sorry if you're tired of it), which would increase the amount the mists push away, the mists also push away more when directly using something related to hemalurgy.  For example, when Vin has her earing in, the mists still curl aroudn her all the time, she just can't draw on them, it is only when the she is using th earring to hear the pulsing of the well that she pushes the mists away, and even then, it's only when the pulsing grows loud she can tell exactly where the well is.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2008, 01:03:45 AM »
Ah ! By the way ! I just found that Vin's earring was made of steel. I don't understand how it could be used by feruchemy though and be so important as to stop Vin from chanelling the mist.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2008, 01:14:43 AM »
Steel, are you sure??? I was sure it was copper.  Or was it bronze.  I know it definately wasn't steel.

That reminds me, the common opinion is that Vin can peirce copper clouds because of her bronze earing which enhances her seeking abilities, but remember, she is also extremely skilled as soothing, Breeze and kelsier always say she got good very quickly, too quickly, prehaps her seeking isn't the only ability being enhanced.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2008, 03:35:12 AM »
She gripped the bit of obsidian in her hand, tucked the book into her overalls, and pocketed the pebbles. The earring she put in her ear--it was a very simple, steel thing. Little more than a stud, not even worth stealing, which was why she didn't fear leaving it in the back room. Still, Vin had rarely worn it, for fear that the ornamentation would make her look more feminine.

Mistborn chapter 3, when she plans on leaving Camon. I think Vin's ability were all enhanced. Left to find out how.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2008, 04:19:32 AM »
Hmm, I could've sworn in WoA it said it was bronze.

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2008, 11:25:11 AM »
Maybe Brandon forgot it was steel in Mistborn 1 and wrote bronze in the Well ? We have to find the passage. Would that be possible ? Someone would have to find either the passage where it says that it's bronze or the original thread where it was guessed it was.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 01:31:26 PM by Vintage »

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2008, 03:36:31 PM »
I'd say it's in the middle. Vin explains to Elend that time when her mother killed her sister (it should be there).

However, I loaned out my WoA copy for now, so I'll have to sit this one out.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2008, 07:29:38 PM »
Maybe it doesn't matter what metal the earring is then, or maybe it is steel, and in Hemalurgy, Steel spikes enhance allomancy, and the other one's do something different, and Vin and Zane both have steel spikes, so only their allomancy is enhanced.  Maybe the other spikes increase lifespan, healing, provide the inquisitors with their sight, etc.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2008, 08:03:24 PM »
I have to remember to check WoA again.  It may be that we assumed the earring was bronze to fit our theories.  And don't think I don't see you winking up there, Mok!   ::) 
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.