• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: comic
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2005, 03:33:04 PM »
That was me not thinking, apparently. Because I'm pretty sure I already knew it was an "i," since "Tirath" doesn't look right.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2005, 12:45:20 PM »
photos taken for two more comics. I'm worried there's too much flash, but the corner where I was working doesn't get as much light, especially when a big guy is standing near trying to take pictures. I suppose I could have moved them first, but that would have taken more work than I was prepared to give. Notes for the future, I guess.

I have a general idea of how the next one goes, but I don't have shots planned. And I want to do a fourth by tomorrow, but I'm not sure how to do it. I have a Hulk joke in mind, but I gotta script it. Just an FYI, folks. You'll probably see more comics in the afternoon.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2005, 05:19:08 PM »
ok, be prepared!
I did not just four, but EIGHT new comics. I was able to draw the spidey story out and the Hulk one turned out to be four instead of just 2. Pretty sweet.

Anyway, for the link challenged, I updated the "bonk" one as well. Hopefully it makes more sense. If not, well,.... it just isn't as good as I'd hoped.

Here are direct links to the new comics. Remember to look at hte root directory so you can see picture of my office. It gets torn down tomorrow, so I will be weeping over them.

http://saintehlers.com/misc/images/GP/20050302.png
http://saintehlers.com/misc/images/GP/20050303.png
http://saintehlers.com/misc/images/GP/20050304.png
http://saintehlers.com/misc/images/GP/20050307.png
http://saintehlers.com/misc/images/GP/20050308.png
http://saintehlers.com/misc/images/GP/20050309.png
http://saintehlers.com/misc/images/GP/20050310.png

btw, since there are pictures of all the action figures I have out of storage up there, anyone who wants to write a comic can feel free to give it to me. I won't pay, or promise that I'll use it, but I'll look at it and consider nicking the work from you. Note that I can easily get my hands on any recent Strawberry shortcake character or many Barbies if necessary too, as well as the original Star Wars cast (all of which my kids own).

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2005, 07:50:00 PM »
Dude, those were great.  We should all pool some money and get you a camera of your own so you can set up a studio where you can get good lighting and props and stuff...
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2005, 08:19:53 PM »
As it turns out, the camera we have at work, a nikon Coolpix 5700, is the same model as the one my dad has, so I *might* be able to convince him to let me use it, now that I've trained, but he's very possessive of his camera, so i'm not sure about that.

once I have this going, any donations to the comic site are designated strictly for the site's usage: ie, more action figures, camera, camera accessories, possibly computer stuff.

I'd gladly accept a camera if people were willing to help me out, I just don't think there's enough people willing to contribute enough to get a camera. I need one with macro to do this, and a goodly amount of focus options, since even with this one (the best price I've found on it is $417 ) I have focus problems.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2005, 11:30:54 PM »
SE, that font's suckiness is very distracting. I think the comics are very funny, but they'll be funnier with a better font.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2005, 01:00:42 AM »
I agree with Ookla.  I say we combine all our powers to get you an unsucky font.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2005, 09:07:26 AM »
OK, i'm eager to hear suggestions. Seriously. I need to hear stuff like this so I can fix it. I'm going to try working with a couple different programs to see if they render the text better. I like a sans-serif font, any suggestions?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2005, 09:47:07 AM »
First off, and this is what the font looks like to me, it seams you're typeing the font on the pictures before they're shrunk down.  Unless you're useing a vector program that's a big no-no.  If that's not the case, and you're typeing the font at that size, then just pick a clear font.  No need to get fancy.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2005, 09:54:52 AM »
actually, I do all the resizing/layout first. Then put on the text in a separate layer, and then last I place the balloons on a layer between. I wonder if it's just htat program. I'll redo a couple comics tonight with something else and see if that works any better

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2005, 10:51:44 AM »
what font are you useing so I can test it on my programs too.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2005, 11:07:59 AM »
Lucida Console

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2005, 12:31:40 PM »
k.  I'll test it later today.  what size you useing too?

Also are you anti-alising the font?  that would probaly help a lot.

edit: ok I just tried this font in Flash and aliasing it makes it a lot clearer.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 12:43:34 PM by Spriggan »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2005, 12:42:52 PM »
I've switched between anti-aliasing and not doing so, and I haven't noticed a difference. I'm using 10pt font, with the stroke width set to 0.2. The kearning is set to 89, but the leading and the tracking are both 0. It's created as vector lines.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2005, 12:45:46 PM »
You can't be useing 10pt fonts, it's at least 15pt from the looks of your comics.

The aliased version of the font looks a lot like a default _sans font, it looses a lot of it's thickness.  But this is against a white backgroup, and it could look different against a busier one.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 12:47:30 PM by Spriggan »