More comics.
More comics.
More comics.
More comics.
More comics.
More comics.
More comics.

Skar chants
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: comic
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2005, 08:02:44 PM »
There will be more, this i swear. But i have to make sure I figure out what my pattern is gonna be. I just accepted a new job and have only 2 weeks at the old one.  I may have to borrow a camera to do it. So, I promise to put them in the folder while I still have access to a camera, but in a couple months, well, i'll have to work out how that will happen.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2005, 03:34:32 PM »
I'm trying to keep ahead of where I'd be if I were doing one comic a weekday (which explains the naming convention of the files), which means I have till wed morning to make a new comic. Preferably between 3 adn 8 of them so I get through the end of next week.

I'm running into a problem. If I make it more story oriented -- with a joke each day (I do this for the funny, not the story) -- which is what came into mind with Skar's recommendation, am I still safely in safe use/parody/satire territory? Or am I treading on copyright/trademark?

The idea is to introduce the story by having Venom, Carnage, other Carnage, Spider-Man, other Spider-Man, and The Scarlet Spider meet up. Carnage takes to fighting with other Carnage. The Spideys just all think the others are clones (they work together, then fight over which is the clone, which means none of them go home with Mary Jane, who starts dating the Punisher, only to later break up with him.

What do you think? Am I safe.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2005, 04:37:43 PM »
Oh, yeah, until you start to make money in which case you're screwed.

Unless you have your characters wear little homemade masks so they're not REALLY them...if you know what I mean...
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2005, 05:21:18 PM »
I'd look into what 8-bit theatre Brian C. did to protect himself. From a cursory glance it looks like the main thing is that the items for sale are original artwork, rather than Squaresoft's images.

So, since you're using the names Spiderman, etc. I think Skar's probably right. Blast.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 05:25:25 PM by Treyva »
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2005, 05:25:25 PM »
I fixed yer url there. No quotes needed.

Brian uses the same class names too: Black Mage, Fighter, etc. Which normally is generic enough, but combined with the images strengthens the relationship. The point of Brian's comic is clearly a parody of video RPGs. Between that and not selling Square's direct images as merchandise, he's clearly covered. The story I'm thinking of specifically does make fun of a specific Marvel story though. ANd will probably make fun of fans too. I'm thinking I'm going to make it anyway. Photos to be taken during lunch tomorrow.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2005, 06:50:51 PM »
I didn't think I had quotes. . . .

However, it makes sense if I did since I've been doing a lot of html programming lately.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2005, 09:56:59 AM »
soo.... I'm breaking my promise. I forgot that I don't have lunch today, because I have class instead. Hopefully I'll have something up soon though.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2005, 01:52:20 PM »
There are 2 more comics up. One is double sized for your pleasure (that sounds dirty, don't it?) to make up for no comic yesterday. There would be a fourth, but the camera has to be beaten into submission. It either won't focus or it flashes. The problem with flash is that spidey and venom reflect far too much light. turning off the flash and enabling the settings that let me get it focussed on the characters instead of hte background leaves me with totally black pictures. It's something going on with the camera, because there's plenty of direct light on the figures, and I can't see ANYTHING in the file that it makes. Just black pixels across the board.

edit: I managed to beat the camera into submission. And I uploaded the third. Now I just need scripts for next weeks. I'm noticing that the better quality I get the pictures, the more time I spend on photography.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 03:46:53 PM by SaintEhlers »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2005, 01:52:28 PM »
I uploaded more stuff. If I were updating this daily, I'd have material for every weekday for a 4 week period. Plus 2 days. I think I can do it, and I'll be building a site and figuring out how to ensure my digital camera access after the job change.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2005, 02:38:44 PM »
I always have loved your sensibility to not post the link to where things are at. Especially for those who do so enjoy not having to go through a thread again to find said link. But alas, you are as is.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2005, 02:39:44 PM »
Didn't get the last one, with the bonk.

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2005, 02:45:37 PM »
the two carnages are bumping heads. Maybe I need to reshoot it from a slightly different angle. The main problem though (I think) is that I was trying to make the second frame a shot of Spidey and Venom fighting and have carnage's shoulder in the shot. Everything came out blurry though and I couldn't get it to focus on anything. Since I took the pictures on Friday, I thought of doing two from the exact same angle and doing a cut/paste to get both in focus. THat, however, would require a tripod, which I don't own, or else the angle will shift and there will be cuts. Maybe the rough copy/paste though would make more sense. That's why I post here, so I can get this sort of feedback. I obviously made the wrong decision on what method to use this time.

edit: for clarity.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 03:11:46 PM by SaintEhlers »

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2005, 03:10:20 PM »
You know Gemm, there is such a thing as bookmarks.

Saint's Comics

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2005, 03:19:03 PM »
I love #16, Saint, but my husband says that it's spelled Tirith. Or was that intentional?