Author Topic: Carding for video games.  (Read 9312 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Carding for video games.
« on: December 09, 2003, 02:14:37 PM »
I was really pleased to see this: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=642 because I think it sounds like a workable system to enforce video game ratings. The claim in the article is that this new initiative will keep M-rated games out of the hands of kids, and I don't necessarily agree--but what it will do, in almost every case, is keep the parents responsible for what games their children play.

Do you agree? Disagree? Talk about it here!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 02:16:54 PM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: Carding for video games.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 02:31:56 PM »
Ok, I don't mean to totally disregard the subject of this topic, but I read that PR and found one line to be a tad bit peculiarly funny.

"Parents are working hard to raise their kids right, but they need help."

Last thing I heard about parents and raising kids (nothing against any of you guys, you're all doing a great job, keep up the good work) was that they were the ones not doing it. Something along those lines anyways. So thats my line.

I think its a pretty good way to enfoce the whole system ratings thing. I only ran into such a problem once. It was with a CD I was trying to buy. I wasn't old enough, and the guy said he shouldn't let me buy it, but he still sold it to me. It was the first Godsmack CD, which isn't all that bad. But I think it will be a good way to keep kids off the crap. Or whatever I'm trying to say.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 02:45:18 PM »
I think that most parents are unaware of the content in the video games they're buying for their kids (mostly due to lazy parenting).  At least this will make them think twice before buying it.  (That said, lots of parents happily take their kids to R rated movies, and a lot of parents let MTV act as a babysitter -- coincidentally, a lot of parents need a swift boot to the head).

I have a question though:  is there an independent board that rates the games?  Or do manufacturers rate their own?
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 02:47:43 PM »
Yeah I have to agree with Gemm.  Most parents today aren't good for anything except reproducing and sometimes feeding their kids.  They dont' want responsibility, and don't take the time to moniter what their kids watch and play, so game companies have to put Ratings on games to avoid lawsuits when junior decides to play GTA:3 in real life at his school.

Unfortunately there are the parents who will buy their kids any game/movie no matter what, 'cause dere ain't nofin rong wit my kid.

But I'm just a cynic who has met too much of the human race to have any faith in them.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 02:48:26 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2003, 02:48:21 PM »
When I worked at Taget we had a policy of not selling a M-rated game to anyone younger then 16 with out a gaurdian present.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2003, 02:49:15 PM »
The IEMA I believe does the rating. If not, then I do it. For all intensive purposes.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2003, 02:59:18 PM »
The ESRB does the ratings. That organization is probably composed of industry insiders, but it's a step up from manufacturers rating their own games.

And yeah, like I said, I really don't think that this will keep violent games out of kids' hands. I just think that it will force the parents to take more responsibility.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2003, 05:24:28 PM »
Yeah, and make them aware of what their kids are playing, and make it easy for them not to just turn their head and passively disapprove.  If parents see this kind of support from retailers and others, they might get an idea that it really is something they should care about.  

I think it's as much about the publicity/cultural support  as anything.  Getting the word out that no, it's really not okay for some games (traditionally children's domain) to be played by children.  And helping parents to feel that they're not being oppressive if they don't let their children play them.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2003, 06:05:33 PM »
I'll drink to that.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2003, 08:03:35 PM »
Parents really do need to start taking more responsibility. Kids simply shouldn't be playing a game like GTA3, but too often I hear accodotes of the store attendant telling a parent that a game isn't suitable for kids and the response being "Oh, I don't give a ****" I think it also has to do with the perception of games in our society - there are still too many people who think games are for kids, just like people who think that just because something is animated, it's a cartoon and for kids.  In any case, there are too many people who don't understand what being a parent means. Therefore, carding seems to be a good idea.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2003, 08:37:26 PM »
One could argue that a more tolerant and open-minded view of sci-fi/fantasy is becoming a matter of cultural survival.   :)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2003, 09:17:10 PM »
One could argue many things. That does not mean that one would be right.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2003, 02:42:03 AM »
Of course, Master of the Ambiguous Disagreement.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2003, 11:03:50 AM »
How would one argue that anyway?  It sounds a little extreme to me.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2003, 03:05:18 PM »
It is a bit of an exaggeration.  Here's my logic, based on broad assumptions:

Children play video games.  Most adults (including parents) don't.

Many games (possibly most) are games dealing with a fantasy or science fiction setting.

Games influence children, possibly for the worse.

Parents who wish to keep their children from that influence should get more invovled with their children's lives, which includes learning about and understanding the games they play (many or most of which are in a fantasy or science fiction setting.)  If they don't, they risk losing their influence on their children to video games and other outside influences.

Learning and understanding something (in this case games set in a fantasy or sci-fi setting) leads to a greater appreciation or tolerance for it.

Parents losing their influence over children is probably one of the best ways to destroy the roots of a culture.

So, one could argue that a more tolerant and open-minded view of sci-fi/fantasy is becoming a matter of cultural survival.  (indirectly)

Yeah, it's a stretch.  I was just throwing an idea out.