Author Topic: Spyware and Viruses  (Read 3543 times)

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
Spyware and Viruses
« on: July 26, 2006, 07:58:29 PM »
Does anyone know of any free anti-spyware and/or antivirus software that I could download? I am already running Spybot Search and Destroy, an AOL Safety and Security program powered by Mcaffee, and a trial copy of AVG. Still, I am getting a near constant flow of popups, most of them, ironically enough, for antivirus/anti-spyware software that you have to pay for. Any ideas?
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Spyware and Viruses
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 08:26:38 PM »
Who's your ISP? Cause I know that more and more of them are coming with free anti-virus programs bundled together now a days so you should check that. I myself know that if we wanted it we could get free Mcafee or something like that with Comcast.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 08:27:02 PM »
AdAware is pretty much a necessity if you're not already running it.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 08:45:04 PM »
www.avast.com  Free antivirus that I think is better then norton and macafee since it's not bloated.  Don't worry about the talk of cost for the software, it's free for home users while they charge for pro use.  With that and windows defender I have never had either spyware or a virus on this pc since I got it (a little over a year ago).

Now how to get rid of that stuff.  One schedule advast to do a boot time scan (it should ask you about that the first time you install it) then after it does that restart windows and it will scan your hard drive before windows is loaded (this is important) then after windows is done restart into safe mode and run adware that fuzzy linked to.

Why your doing this is because most viruses and spyware load themselves into your computer's memory so even if you uninstall them they'll rental themselves as soon as it can.  So by running a boot time scan and running adware in safe mode (only critical software is allowed access to the memory) you're preventing the malware from reinstalling itself.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 08:49:38 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 09:26:50 AM »
These are the Messenger windows with the "OK" button right?

You need to disable Windows Messenger.

To work around this issue, turn off the Messenger service. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel (or point to Settings, and then click Control Panel).  
2. Double-click Administrative Tools.  
3. Double-click Services.  
4. Double-click Messenger.  
5. In the Startup type list, click Disabled.  
6. Click Stop, and then click OK.  
Note If the Messenger service is stopped, messages from the Alerter service (notifications from your antivirus software, for example) are not transmitted. If the Messenger service is turned off, any services that explicitly depend on the Messenger service do not start, and an error message is logged in the system event log. Therefore, Microsoft recommends that you install a firewall and configure it to block NetBIOS and RPC traffic instead of turning off the Messenger service.

(MS KB article 330904)

Despite what they say there, AVG messages will still show up.

This article also claims that the latest Windows Update fixes this problem automatically, but that's a load of crap.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 08:38:48 PM »
Okay, I did both, and I still am getting popups. Not as many, but still, really annoying. I think the person who originally thought to randomly put invasive software on people's computers should be assassinated.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 08:54:12 PM »
It didn't help.

Er, I mean it wouldn't help. You know, if someone did it. Which they haven't. To my knowledge.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 09:18:07 PM »
I disagree. It might not undo the past, but it would make me feel a lot better. Especially if I were the assassin.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 09:20:37 PM »
Did you do my suggestions?
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 09:23:34 PM »
Yep, yours and SE's. Now I am trying to see if I can uninstall Internet Explorer, since most of the popups seem to be coming from there, and I use Firefox anyway.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 09:24:38 PM by Archon »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 10:03:56 PM »
You can intall IE 7 beta and then goto it's tools section and manually turn off everything so you can check to see what's causing the popups.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2006, 11:26:33 PM »
Yeah, I decided that I was done with having popups like mad, so I reformatted my drives.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 01:05:22 AM »
Archon, I miss talking to you.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2006, 01:55:51 AM »
Agreed. I haven't been on much, as of late. My computer has been on and off, and I have been busy with other stuff. You still have my email, right?