Author Topic: Creative Micro Photo  (Read 3674 times)

Tink

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Creative Micro Photo
« on: August 02, 2006, 01:02:30 PM »
I am thinking of getting a Creative Micro Photo 8 GB mp3 player and I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on this player.

I am thinking it will be a good one because it has 8 GB, which is a pretty good size, it has a removable li-ion battery (so you can carry extra and they're easy to replace), it has a color screen, you can choose between 10 colors, and it has an FM radio and a digital recorder. Plus there is a $30 rebate right now, so I could get one for about $140 with tax.

Also the reviews are mostly positive. There are some people who have had a bad experience, but it sounds like that is a small percentage.

So what do you guys think?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Creative Micro Photo
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 01:58:01 PM »
I had a Creative Zen Micro (not the photo version but the previous version) and I loved it, I recently gave it to my sister when I upgraded to a Zen Vision: M.  Great battery life (almost twice your average iPods and is removable like you mentioned), no dongle to use (ie you can plug your USB or power cord right into the player without a special connector) and I like the Zen's touch pad (though some find it too sensitive).  One note, this is a Janus player (ie Microsoft's play for sure) so it won't work with iTunes and while Creative's software is ok it installs like 10 different programs on your PC which annoying, thankfully there's Windows Media Player 11 (in beta right now but you can get it from MS's website) which is one of the best music organizing programs I've ever used and it sincs easily with the zen line.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 02:04:26 PM »
So Media Player 11 works with Zen Micro? I know it works with Media Player 10.

It's good to know you had one with good experience. That makes me more confident in getting one.

EDIT: Sprig, I know these are hard drive mp3 players. Do you think that it would skip if I wanted to excercise with them (jogging, treadmill, yoga)?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 02:22:42 PM by Tink »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 02:47:01 PM »
na, mine never did they micro drives are pretty well guarded against skip protection.  Also check out getting one via Amazon if you can get a better deal, I saved about $30 via amazon on my Vision: M (it wasn't on sell anywhere else) plus it's easier to find and if you click through the TWG link, or EUOL's site like you earn us like $5!
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 04:02:43 PM »
Yeah, I know, that's where I saw the $30 rebate I mentioned in the first post. That is how I could get one for $140. I've seen some places, like Target, where they are $250. Talk about a difference in price! If I decide to get it, I will try to remember to click on the link first :).

Anyone else out there have an opinion?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 04:03:50 PM by Tink »

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 06:34:13 PM »
I will agree with Spriggan on this. (Gasp!) I have a Zen Vision: M as well and love it. It's very intuitive and the battery life is excellent. Any day at work I can listen to my music non-stop for 8 hours, plus I can watch an episode of Batman or two during break. The Vision is a bit bigger and heftier than an iPod but it's oh so awesome.

And I've found that all my podcasts are downloaded in mp3 format, so take that Apple. I can apply them right onto my Zen and no problems, I've got podcasts!

The only problem I have is that GIF file formats aren't supported. I find this rather silly and completely stupid. I had a long email correspondence with the Creative folks and they did explain to me why this is, but never why they can't program the support for it.

The Zen is a wonderful mp3 player, plus a somewhat cheaper alternative to an iPod. You can't go wrong.

Sprig, I'm sure you have, but have you heard about the copyright of the look of the Zen and iPod disputes they've been having?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 03:12:55 AM »
The lawsuits are over the menu system and icons used so ya it's really lame on both sides.  I'm just glad MS didn't jump in with their click wheel patent (yes Microsoft has the patent pending on the iPod's click wheel not Apple) so this thing isn't totally crazy.

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 11:14:55 AM »
I'm really thinking about ordering today. I wants me a good mp3 player! Yeah!

And don't be surprised if I order the pink one. :)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 11:42:56 AM »
Pink is for girls!

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 12:16:16 PM »
I have a pink cell phone and I love it!
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 12:19:21 PM »
My Zen has a black face plate and the backing is white. It totally rocks.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 12:57:37 PM »
Pink is for girls!

And kicks are for Trids.

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 04:06:27 PM »
Pink is for girls!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is the whole point. I'm a girl and I love pink!

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 04:23:11 AM »

And kicks are for Trids.

Silly Rabbi...
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus