Author Topic: TWG-East: The Gathering  (Read 18769 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: TWG-East: The Gathering
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2006, 11:41:27 AM »
in the TW(i)G project it stands for (insert generic vowel sound here)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2006, 11:50:52 AM »
Game session 1: board game;

2nd session: P&P game;

sat. night movie: something fun, slither maybe?

Sunday should involve walking around the area, even if SE gets cold. I will give him some extra warmth. I am from chilly northernly cold Buffalo. We have much to be cold about.

And the writing thing after dinner would be cool. We can work those details out maybe as we eat or prepare the foods.

Shrain, worry not. I'm actually going to get a costume this year and will be wearing it some day during our adventures.  ....Hmm, I have a dinosaur mask. (Dino Comics anyone?? =P)

Oh yes, and if we do go to comics shop will be good time for me to buy Robin and Union Jack. I think I will be continuing with UJ, not sure with Robin.

I think I've addressed everything.... Mind is slipping after 12 hours of work... with heavy things. Exhaustion.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2006, 11:53:49 AM »
I was thinking maybe

TWG: EIM

the 1st Time-Waster's Guide: East Invitational Meeting.

William S. Burroughs

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2006, 02:22:37 PM »
Shrain, worry not. I'm actually going to get a costume this year and will be wearing it some day during our adventures.

Woot! (Of course, if you show up as a Terris steward that'd be pretty darn cool too) ;)

I was thinking maybe
TWG: EIM
the 1st Time-Waster's Guide: East Invitational Meeting.

Oh, and, Gemm my friend, I dunno about the "Invitational" part. Sounds a smidge hoity toity to me, especially for such a geeky event and all. ;D
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2006, 10:51:12 AM »
E- I still don't have your new address and phone #.

Email it to me at madfuzzybunnyslippers.com
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 11:36:28 AM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2006, 11:36:16 AM »
sent.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2006, 04:02:08 PM »
Shrain's Costume: Mistborn

Gemm's Costume: (Demented) Dino

SE & Jeffe: Reluctant Terrismen Servants (lest they are wise enough to devise their own costumes forthwith).

Prize for best costume: Losers buy winner dinner, and let her (or him) pick the movie for Sat. ;)
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2006, 01:41:41 AM »
Twiggy Con 1 is going well, despite the fact that we still have absolutely no clue when Jeffe will arrive. We assume he'll call. Today we:

played at least 2/3 of the campaign in Lego Star Wars II (The Original Trilogy. This because most of the games we have for the console aren't appropriate for my children.

When the children were absent, we played a lot of Dead or Alive 4. On the whole, Gemm is better than me at the one on one fights. But I beat him a good 2 out of 3 times in the team fights.

At lunch time we also played a game of pirates. I won, mostly because I had faster ships. Also, he strayed too close to my fort and got blowed up pretty good.

We played a game of Godstorm Risk. I scored an early lead that Gemm was unable to recover from. At the end of age 5 there were only 3 territories I didn't own. Two of them were neutral plague lands. The last had some 6 units in them owned by Gemm. Gemm did, however, have a significant upper hand in the underworld because of this.

We also dragged my wife into a game of Settlers. And she beat us. Quite easily. Gemm was second place, being in a position to take 8 or 9 points really soon. I trailed with some 5 points. Though I did have the longest road till by some freak coincidence (because it couldn't have been *skill* that beat me, y'know), Gemm got like, a billion pieces of road laid in one turn. He held longest road for a good 20 minutes, but then my wife came from behine and stoled it from him, and built a settlement for point number 10.

We look forward to the other two twiggies tomorrow.
On the agenda: more games, pumpkins, and a meal or two out.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2006, 09:19:38 PM »
We are *SO* totally having a better time than all the 26 people at the UT party had. When you've got a cunning chef, an eccentric Mistborn, a ninja-monkey boss man, and a knife-wielding poet, your party just can't go wrong. We have pictures to prove this all beyond doubt. Just wait and see. Right now, I am too busy watching SE pull off a ninja smackdown.  

--Spriggan

caiticlu

• Level 4
  • Eat Babies! - A Modest Proposal
    • View Profile
    • Llamoo
« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2006, 02:02:43 AM »
sounds like you guys had a good time, wish I coulda gone, next time!! enjoy the remainder.
And with that... May your days be bright and your contact with stupidity limited...

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2006, 09:32:45 AM »
it was a blast. Twiggy Con rocked, except that none of us slept (Shrain probably still has marks on her face from the seat on the Metro where she slept yesterday).

We have pictures, but I forgot to copy the ones from Shrain's camera to my computer before she left yesterday, and the ones on my camera didn't upload right. I'll try again tonight (camera at home today to get pics of the kids in costume)

Games played: Dead or Alive 4, Lego Star Wars II (which frustratingly stopped working on Sunday), Burnout (which we still don't understand but had fun with anyway), Attack!, NanoFictionary, Zendo, Nine Worlds, Fluxx, Duel of Ages, Settlers of Catan, Pirates, Risk: Godstorm.
Movies Watched: Hulk and Pretty in Pink
Food Eaten: cold cereal, grilled ham and cheese, Chicken Out, Five Guys, Dominos, nachos,Mexican pzza, porkchops with mushroom soup and stuffing and a sort of squash "pasta" (and a big ol' salad), a big hot dog, many cookies, Quiznos. No ice cream, which is both surprising and depressing.
Locales visited: a very winding and misdirect path to Arlington, featuring a great experience with the I-95/I-395/I-495/Old Keene Mill Rd interchange </sarcasm> and a brief view of many monuments and old town Alexandria, the garage under my office, the comic store (Gemm and I each spent waaaaay too much money), the National Aquarium (where Gemm was nearly arrested for brandishing a box cutter), the Old Post Office (where a discussion began about the virtues of the view finder versus the screen on my digital camera), The outside of the Capital Building (featuring music by a street musician who was a great showman and a pretty solid guitar player), the inside of a real live rocket, the lovely Metro, Borders, Target, Hollywood Video

A very busy weekend. It was awesome.

We're thinking the next would be good to have sprign breakish, to make it easier to get you college kids, but since it'll prolly be a different day than the local public schools, won't mean the young'uns will be around.  Input from other TWG-Easterners?

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2006, 12:27:09 PM »
I claim the right to deny ever having had any such object of death in my pocket. It was, as pointed out, my belt. Nothing more.

There was so much fun, I'm still having fun even though I'm entirely ready to pass out and accomplish none of the tasks I had set before myself today.

I particularly enjoyed Jeffe's kitchen skills and hope that he will brandish them one day in the form of a restaurant that I can stand outside of and heckle the customers as they come in, with SE at my side, silent as the noonday sun.

I now need to buy some more issues of a few ongoing series of comics that I was able to check out. Very cool.

I was impressed with the knit job, and overall impressed with Shrain's ability to coordinate herself into an awesome costume.

Everybody was awesome with the games we played. Especially that Zendo. I know what game I'll never play again. Shrain was the only one to figure out the ridiculous scheme behind that thing.

My favorite game had to be Settlers and Fluxx. Very fun and easy to learn, and overall just really interesting concepts. Duel of Ages blew about as much wind down my trachea as I'd like any crappy board game to do. I think that game of Risk would have been better with a third person; oh, and a bit more understanding of what was happening (but that's ok SE, beginner's need only learn).

Nine Worlds was a cool concept that I'd like to look more into and possibly get some friends into... wait, they really only like to roll dice... buttheads. Nanofictionary was fun just because we got to tell silly, or deranged, stories about anything.

Attack! was kind of odd, only because there're so many rules and options that one needs understand or grasp before really getting into the meat of the game and dominating. Pirates was fun just because we had little boats and islands and got to sail around blowing each other up.

Zendo... well, is Zendo.

The food was, once again, delicious!

The accidental tour through VA was fun, just because we got to torment one another as we zoomed through here and there.

5 Guys was awesome. Definately going there again, like tomorrow or something.

Monday's sightseeing was quite fantastic, almost exquisite, to the point that I am needing to get my FILM DEVELOPED to see the AWESOME shots I got on my FILM CAMERA. (Blunt enough for ya SE? =P)

And everyone was a treat, even SE's family who endured our geekiness for the time we were there.

Oh, and thanks for the floor SE. I know you offered the fold-out couch, and I think next time I'll take you up on that.

Gemm, out.
                William S. Burroughs

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2006, 02:02:41 PM »
I claim the right to deny ever having had any such object of death in my pocket. It was, as pointed out, my belt. Nothing more.

Ah, yes. Who can forget the strip search?

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2006, 03:05:47 PM »
In regards to the cooking, I had fun too!

So, the time has come too plan TWGE (twiggy) 2 which should come some time around Spring Break, we intend to have a beach theme and a Miami Beach location. Plan Accordingly.... Bring sunblock.

Ok maybe not Miami, ... or perhaps that is a good idea /me ruminates on the idea
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2006, 10:55:00 PM »
Lego Starwars Game (before it conked out): Super cool

Homecooked Food Courtesy of Jeffe: $15 or so ea.

Circuitous Route to Five Guys + Yummy Food: $6

Playing Attack!: 3 hours of my life I'll never get back

Playing w/ E's Kids: Free & totally fun!

Twiggy 1: Priceless

P.S. Inheriting Gemm's Virus: Sucky
--Spriggan