Author Topic: TWG-East: The Gathering  (Read 18520 times)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: TWG-East: The Gathering
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2006, 11:24:15 AM »
I decree from the Ministry of the Governor of Jamaica, that Jeffe must indeed cook for us one night. I must taste the delicacies that he always speaks about! Must!

Friday night we'll be Shrain-less, but who else will be around? I suppose that night we could just sit around and play some games and maybe do some of that rengaga stuff your talking about. (What in the world is Renga anyway?)

Saturday/Sunday, we'll just fly from the handles and do what impresses us most. At least, that's the way I roll, and love to do spontaneously constructed events.

So, there will be SE, Shrain, Jeffe, and I. Is anyone else showing up?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2006, 11:47:40 AM »
Oseleon is still on the maybe list.

Renga is the Japanese collaborative poem form that haiku came out of. THe first person writes a stanza of 5-7-5, then passes it to the next person, who writes a 7-7 couplet. You continue, alternating the sizes. Each stanza you write is supposed to be a completion of a though expressed in the previous stanza, but is not necessarily related to any other previous stanzas.

Some of the best haikus by the recognized masters are extracted from longer renga cycles like this.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2006, 12:26:09 PM »

Gemm's bringing the XBox 360. Yay!

Um... I have GIS (Gaming Ineptitude Syndrome). Yes, horrible isn't it? So I'm afraid I'll be sitting that activity out. :-/

I can gather enough laptops for a small LAN party, if we play warcraft. Heck, I could even grab a NWN adventure and we could play that multiplayer.

I've never played Warcraft--though my bros sure have. I'd be more interested in playing Settlers again and maybe learning one other computer or board game or card game (that is suitably cinchy enough for my unpracticed little brain to understand). My bros tried to get me into Risk, and that just sorta bores me. So *not* something like that, I beg of you! :P
Free DVD rentals. Just let me know what you want to watch.

Cool. This would be cheaper than going to see a movie, though I really want to see The Prestige and The Marine. Me and some friends might see Prestige tomorrow night, tho.
Visiting historical sites or memorials. ...Plus battlefields: Manassas is really close. ...Museums: American History, Art, Air and Space, Natural History, Holocaust. Other: Old Town Alexandria is a really fun place to hang ....

OK, the memorials are cool, but I've seen 'em in Jan. when my bro and I were there. But if some of us want to split up for part of the day, we could do that. Is Manassas battlefield really cool? I loved the Air & Space and Natural History museums; Holocaust was good. I might like to see the American Hist or Art. But Old Town Alexandria sounds neat too.

Eating: we should visit 5 Guys. ...We also have a cool Planet Hollywood. Or we could get meat and do a cookout. I hvae a grill and Jeffe is an excellent cook

Ooh! Why don't we go to Planet Hollywood for dinner on Sat and then have a BBQ on Sunday. (Yay, men doing the cooking!)

Group Writing Activity: Collaborative writing, progressive writing, Renga (always wanted to do renga in a group), or just jam writing where we all do stuff. Again, I can get additional computers if we do this and all want to type

I dunno what Renga is, but some kind of writing thing would be sweet. Progressive writing--like, say, a TWG East Halloween story--would be fuuun.

Hey, is anybody gonna take Monday off too?? I took the day off from work and I want to make good use of it!
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2006, 12:29:02 PM »
Renga is described above

And it's my opinion that girls with GIS are only thusly because they don't try.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2006, 12:32:03 PM »
How about everyone makes a list of the three things they want to do most. So we can narrow it down.

mine are:
1-video games -- I really want to play video games in a group. And if Gemm comes down on Friday, before Shrain gets here, we can do that and not leave her out of anything
2-food -- out to eat or cooked. But good food. Not just hot  pockets or hot dogs.
3-other games -- I most want to play strategy games, but gard games and whatever are a blast too.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2006, 12:40:49 PM »
Only three? Why three?

And, yeah, I guess I could *try* the Star Wars Lego game, but I could never get the hang of the 3-D type of games. (DK Country and Castlevania IV, Mario Bros, those were games I rocked. Sorta)
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2006, 12:48:25 PM »
three because when I leave you with more you basically reiterate 80% of what I suggested.

also, you still haven't listed your three.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2006, 02:56:31 PM »
Okay, okay.

1. Eat: cookout and Planet Hollywood.

2. Play games: Settlers and Renga or SW Legos

3. Out on the Town: Old Town Alexandria or movie

--Spriggan

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2006, 03:17:35 PM »
1.)Play 9 worlds, an RPG I really want to try, because of cool player input mechanics, or octane (for the same reason)

2.) Ooo Ooo We need Cheesy 80's movies!

You know like Flash Gordon! or the Three Amigo's or Highlander, or anything by John Hughes. Just not the movie "Being there"
3.) Chill time with the homeys. A museum might qualify.
Yeah its like that.

I'll cook, but someone needs to help w/ food cause I will be nominally poor going there. Also I can afford 5 guys, but plant Hollywood might be out.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2006, 03:31:09 PM »
I wouldn't want to eat at "Plant Hollywood" either. ;) But we can go "on the cheap"--that's probably fine. And I'm sure we'll all pitch in on the grub for the cookout.

Oh, since you guys'll be "shrainless" as Gemm put in on Fri night, you could do the RPG stuff Jeffe wants to do and the tougher strategy or XBox games Gemm and SE like. Perfect, no?
--Spriggan

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2006, 04:51:30 PM »
Nein the RPG stuff is with you in mind Shrain my dear...

muhahahahahahahhaha!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2006, 05:13:40 PM »
If we do an rpg with shrain, it will have to be a very simple one. Like Tri-Stat, Ova, or TWERPS. we don't want to overwhelm her. Just teach her how fun it is.

The premise/setting should be easy too. In fact, a Star Wars game would be good. The mechanics are pretty simple, and it's easy to envision the world.

An Indiana Jones/pulp setting I would think would be easy too.

heck, doing a Mistborn setting with Ova would be cake, we could even do that.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2006, 08:36:17 AM »
9 worlds is easy... insanely so, and prolly easier for a non gamer than a gamer so...

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2006, 09:54:35 AM »
Hey SE, would it be too much of a bother to stop at the Washington DC stop? It would seem to cut out a lot of time on my travelling. If it were alright, I'd be leaving at 10:45 pm on thursday Oct. 26th and arriving at 11:30 am the next day.

As for departing, I'd be leaving monday at 7:15 pm. Since I'm pretty sure I wasn't on the schedule and am going to take advantage of that.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2006, 11:12:29 AM »
how *much* time? Because, ask Jeffe, the downtown greyhound stop is pretty scary.

For some reason, 80s movies has stuck in my head. We don't need to rent them. I own Heathers, Pretty in Pink, Some Kind of Wonderful, and Dream a Little Dream

Although I suppose renting The Breakfast Club would be in order. Also, if we want to go Halloweeny, we can still say with 80s goodness by renting Ghostbusters and Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness.

comments? concerns? smart remarks?