Author Topic: Cool Stuff Found on the Internet, again  (Read 115874 times)

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
Re: Cool Stuff Found on the Internet, again
« Reply #405 on: August 09, 2007, 03:47:08 AM »
I found this awesome guy's awesome blog!
Only, it's not so much "found" as "wrote."
And at least one of those "awesomes" may not apply. :D
I'm specifically posting this for people in my old gaming group (e.g. 42, EP, Cyan, and if they can let Nate know about it) but anyone who has interest can check it out.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #406 on: September 24, 2007, 03:09:56 PM »
who here hasn't tried to make a game? Here's an elegant list of game design principles presented in an entertaining manner.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #407 on: September 27, 2007, 10:12:12 PM »
Has anyone else heard of this site?

http://ficlets.com/

Apparently John Scalzi started it?  Anyhow, I think it's lots of fun.  Then again, I'm a writer.  :)
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 02, 2007, 01:24:52 AM »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #409 on: October 02, 2007, 02:47:16 PM »
That is so weird, yet so fascinating.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #410 on: October 03, 2007, 06:19:20 PM »
I don't know if this is so much a "cool thing" as "cool news".  Read it on slashdot.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/01/164234

Interesting idea.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #411 on: December 22, 2007, 06:13:05 AM »
~금강산도 식후경~

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 22, 2007, 08:10:34 PM »
Your Score : 93 credits
You're an extreme sci-fi geek! You're probably wearing your very own homemade TRON costume right now!
Um...but...which ones did we get wrong? And, is this out of 100? We did have to guess on several...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #413 on: December 22, 2007, 10:03:00 PM »
After each question there's a little "right" or "wrong" that comes up.  I didn't see it at first, either.
~금강산도 식후경~

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 03, 2008, 05:05:58 AM »
Steam punk....laptop?
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #415 on: January 03, 2008, 06:24:29 AM »
I've seen photo's of that so it's cool to see someone using it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 03, 2008, 04:09:57 PM »
I think it's incredibly cool. The guy's website is datamancer.net and you can buy your own keyboard for a mere $1000.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Kaldric

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 04, 2008, 05:04:16 PM »
I didn't look through the entire thread, but I hope this hasn't been posted before.

Actually, I don't care, because if it has been posted, it deserves another look. (-:,`

http://www.lackofbrains.com
Of course, [Quixote] carried it a bit too far. He thought that every windmill was a giant. That's insane. But, thinking that they might be...

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #418 on: January 10, 2008, 02:14:54 PM »
When I was a teenager, my friend Jon Clark (we called him Schroom for reasons completely inexplicable) bought a book at the skate shop in the mall (it was the only store in the mall that sold RPG and bookshelf games like Avalon Hill). It was called Killer and was released by Steve Jackson games.

Killer was proto-LARP (published, I believe, in 1985). The idea was that all the players were assassins. Last one standing wins. You used squirtguns, nerf darts, or anything else that you registered with the referee as a weapon (variant: assign cash values and give the assassins an allowance). The problem was you were only allowed to kill your assigned target, after which you inherited their assignment. If you killed someone else, or an innocent bystander, you died too. The other rule is you couldn't be witnessed -- with one exception. If you wore a mask you could kill *anyone* you wanted, but in turn anyone was allowed to target you.

We played a massive game in high school, many of us getting detention for doing things like running into AP History classes wearing a ski mask and using a squirt gun on a target, then running out. My crowning achievement was taking out Raymond Soper. We were year book "computer editors" together, which meant we spent most of fifth period in the other room playing Bard's Tale (ah, Bard's Tale, how I loved thee! -- but that's another story). I renamed the Bard's Tale executable, and wrote a BASIC program that made the screen flash and present the words "BOOM! This computer has just blown up. You are now dead." Begin fifth period, I call John (the other "computer editor") into the main room to "ask him something." Wait 120 seconds. Hear scream of frustration from the other room. Grin with unnatural glee.

All this is a long way of preparing you for how awesome this link is. The problem with Killer is our current political environment. "Killing" people in public can not only get you detention, depending on how paranoid the local citizenry are, you could wind up in jail. At the very least you freak the crap out of everyone.

Enter Cruel 2 B Kind. The principles are the same as Killer, though there are some complexities and point systems that I find very interesting. The main difference is that you "kill" by an act of kindness, three official "weapons" being determined by the referee and given power in a rock-scissors-paper scheme, so you can mediate ties. Thus, at worst, the local people will live in fear of packs of gamer nerds performing random acts of kindness.

By the way, Dan, I really admire those shoes.

Jhaeli

• Level 3
  • Oh the weather outside is frightful...
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 10, 2008, 03:30:15 PM »
That looks pretty damn neat. Reminds me of Organized Crime, a group game where you have to find the two secret killers before they kill off all the innocents. Much fun.
"My task which I am trying to achieve is, by the power of the written word to make you hear, to make you feel - it is, before all, to make you see." - Joseph Conrad