Author Topic: Cool Stuff Found on the Internet, again  (Read 131793 times)

Tink

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Cool Stuff Found on the Internet, again
« Reply #210 on: June 27, 2006, 07:01:12 PM »
Get BYU's Daily Universe on your computer for free:

http://universe.newsstand.com/

I know a lot of people make fun of the "Unifarce," but I still like to read it and keep up to date with what's going on at BYU. Plus it lets me know what activities are going on. For example, I was able to find out that the MOA was having a kids day with face painting, balloons, activities, etc. for free and it just happened to coincide with my niece's birthday (who was turning 6). Would have never known other wise and it was a perfect birthday activity.

Plus it's fun to read what people argue about in the letters section. Like right now they're arguing about whether the government has the right to make helmet and seat belt laws. Riveting stuff.

And if nothing else, there is the comics and the crossword puzzle.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #211 on: June 28, 2006, 01:54:48 PM »
or how people from california have the right to dictate fashion! ANd how stupid it is to wear socks with sandals.

it's impossible to take that newspaper, or the student population, seriously when that crap gets published.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #212 on: June 28, 2006, 01:59:49 PM »
At least they're not stealing their website design from others anymore.  Kind of sucks to loose awards because no one at BYU has any creativity.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 02, 2006, 02:32:10 AM »
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 06, 2006, 07:31:52 PM »
or how people from california have the right to dictate fashion! ANd how stupid it is to wear socks with sandals.

it's impossible to take that newspaper, or the student population, seriously when that crap gets published.

No doubt.  I had a couple of letters to the editor published while I was a student at the Y.  On both occasions what they printed had been fundamentally changed from what I had written, and it became apparent as I spent hours trying to get it corrected that the person proofing the letters had simply not understood what I was saying and so changed it to something they could understand, which is to say, something stupid.  I eventually had to go to the head editor on both occasions and the staff I had to go through on the way to him simply didn't understand what my objection was.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 06, 2006, 07:36:56 PM »
I worked for a while with a Journalism major at the Y.  He asked me once if I'd ever considered going into the FBI.  I said I had and he asked me why.  He said he wanted to know for an article he was writing for the Universe on why the FBI has so many mormons in it and recruits so heavily at the Y.

When I was done explaining my reasons for considering it he said he wasn't going to use my answers because they didn't "fit his concept"  I dug a little further and discovered that, according to him, the reason you write a news piece is to prove a point and so, to that end, you simply don't include contradictory facts or information.  He was serious and thought I was a little "slow" for thinking otherwise.

I have had a very low opinion of Journalism at the Y ever since.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 06, 2006, 07:42:53 PM »
That isn't just the Y.

When my mother was mayor of our city she was confronted by several different media sources who would ask her what she wanted the research to say.

They explained it that they can get the polls and the stories to say anything she would like it to and it will tend to sway the people who do not know any better. Kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy thing.

I think most people are discovering this in the media and news and starting to reject the polls when they hear them.

I have no love for the big media. Too biased.
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 08, 2006, 12:46:44 PM »
So an old friend of mine has started a fictional fantasy blog. I find it to be cool.

Netherwild
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #219 on: July 11, 2006, 01:10:05 PM »
This post is so mind blowing cool I think in honer of it we should lock the cool stuff thread and never start another.

Ladies and Gentlemen (and Gemm)...I give you a Chimp playing Ms. Pacman.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/10/chimpanzee-plays-ms-pac-man-gets-eaten-by-ghost/
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 11, 2006, 04:14:32 PM »
That chimp was just hanging around the spawning point!! I bet a racoon, or at the very least Gemm could have done better.

:P

That is way awesome!

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #221 on: July 11, 2006, 05:17:37 PM »
Hohohoho, very funny. =P

I don't degrade myself by playing Ms Pacman thank you very much. I've only ever spent 4 hours playing Pacman due to... much much boredom.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 11, 2006, 05:42:30 PM »
I hear ya there!! Pacman was WAAAAY better than Ms. Pacman. Besides, Space Raiders and Jungle Hunt were king in the days of the Atari.

Oh! and for my post.. I make balloon animals and sculptures for fun, and sometimes dressed and painted like Darth Maul for little kids at parties.

So,, I found this when looking for cool things to make with balloons... Wow!

http://www.balloonhq.com/MJ2000-web/

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #223 on: July 12, 2006, 08:57:09 AM »
Atari suxxors. That was the arcade Ms Pacman, my friend.

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 12, 2006, 01:25:34 PM »
Atari suxxors. That was the arcade Ms Pacman, my friend.

Underneath the UI, the Pacman on Atari and Arcade are all of the same source (code).

Besides, Atari was cool in its day! It had it's time, that time has passed. Now for the apes. Maybe they will play on the Wii and PS3 in a few years! I say Project X or whatever, they can fly apparantly.