Author Topic: Breaking down the numbers  (Read 9181 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Breaking down the numbers
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2004, 05:24:17 PM »
the name is the same, Zach Weiner.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2004, 09:42:11 AM »
Well, I went to review Shaw Island. But I realized the EUOL has all these category designations under each aspect he reviews. I don't see a delineation of these aspects. It seems kinda silly to categorize the art in a web comic as "Web Comic" since that's obvious, but maybe i'm missing some subtlety. EUOL, do you have more detail?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2004, 11:58:55 AM »
THere should be an article somewhere where he mentions all the various classifications.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2004, 12:56:47 PM »
ok, I found it. I will proceed.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2004, 04:46:14 PM »
Sorry I didn't respond here earlier, SE.  Personally, I don't mind if you just write your articles straight through without any breakdowns.  In my mind, it really helps me fill out a review if I consider each aspect of a comic.  Otherwise, I find myself focusing only on story and characters.  Occupational hazard.

Anyway, if you feel comfortable following all my categories and what not, go ahead.  However, don't feel that you have to.  I personally think they make a review more readable, but if you're going to do a whole series of webcomic reviews, there's no reason why you can't just determine your own criteria and do block-text reviews instead.

Of course, we'd probably want to post up an article on your personal review criteria as opposed to mine.  Just a thought.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2004, 04:57:08 PM »
which in turn would give us more material, eh? An article on my theory of Web comics (which is connected to comics as a whole). It's been recommended before. I'll have to write something. Then maybe I can send it off as a proposal for elsewhere.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2004, 11:47:55 PM »
Here's something I came across while hoping one or the other had press/media contacts. I like DC graphic novels better, but aparently:

Spider-Man outsells Batman and Superman COMBINED (i figured with his movies, he'd outsell, but combined? I'm a little surprised, though I wouldn't be too surprised if they were comparing ALL Spider-Man titles -- including Venom--  against just the self title Supes and Bats)

Marvel also has numbers showing that more of their readers play console video games than DC comic readers. Which is weird, but shows there's more crossover interest potential there.

SO it seems more advantageous to run Marvel related content than DC content. Weird, huh?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2004, 01:17:29 AM »
marvel's a hot comadoty right now.  They've acualy worked out a deal with Pixar for them (pixar) to make CG moves based off the characters.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2004, 01:37:45 AM »
Yeah, it's because of two things: they finally started to find a balance between comic book and film for their adaptations, and they're actually working on movies.

DC keeps talking about making movies. Talking about who to cast as batman or Superman or Wonder Woman, but they never actually DO anything. Unlike Marvel, which has at least THREE films coming out this year.