Author Topic: Creative Writing and Fantasy  (Read 6270 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: Creative Writing and Fantasy
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2003, 10:08:01 AM »
I think part of it is that they feel they can't challenge or analyze the myths that go into the creation of fantasy stories, and thus have little to say about the stories themselves. That aside why does a little girl have to be crazy to have a fantasy life? When I was young I made up many scenarios about my life, or lives of imaginary people, thats how a young person acts out the mores and social rules of their culture. That kind of play is very sane and natural. Not having read the book Id still make an analysis of the heroine. Shel clearly knows how people should act, and subconciously she is trying to heal the pain and suffering inflicted upon her in the orphanage. That being said the family she creates and the stories she tells are real, or become real to her the same way that the host during catholic communion becomes the real body of christ. At least they are real to her, so the act of telling these stories become a kind of rite allowing her to interprit the awfulness around her and the feelings in her psyche. Or put another way they become a sort of mental barometer. But I dont want to disreguard the magical transformation that takes place because fantasy is obviously very important.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2003, 10:08:44 AM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2003, 01:11:43 PM »
And what's so wrong about a happy ending? It seems to me that Lucie was trying her best to make good out of a very bad situation. I don't think it is without the realms of possibility to say that there is a force (I say God, but it isn't neccessary to label the force in this discussion) that rewards good behavior. Much like the story of The Little Princess, a pure heart meets with bad circumstances and fate (nature, or God, whichever you prefer) steps in to care for it.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2003, 03:29:16 PM »
The book is Lucie Babbidge's House, by Sylvia Cassedy, which I forgot to mention earlier.

Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2003, 12:27:08 AM »
MoD:  Ah, but here's the problem.  I can't get a PhD if no one lets me into a program.  I don't mind their snide treatment of my genre, not really, but they have complete control over whether I get letters after my name or not.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2003, 12:31:30 PM »
You're right. However, what I was trying to say is that by Card's quote it sounds like there is a chance for you to be accepted into a Ph.D. program. And I, personally, have more faith in you than in Card (probably because I know you, and like your books better). So my take is that you could get into a Ph.D. program, despite Card's opinion to the contrary.

The other thing to think about is: are you willing to compromise? Maybe if you are willing to experiment with other genres, you would be more likely to be accepted. It's a sad fact of life that people sometimes like you better if you give them what they want, or at least show that you are willing to compromise.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy