Author Topic: Nightmares and stuff  (Read 13457 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Nightmares and stuff
« on: November 06, 2003, 05:49:05 PM »
So I'm wondering if I'm the only person who has full color, perfumed, tactile, surround-sound nightmares.

I have nightmares most nights, but last night I had one that actually caused me sit straight up and yelp. Does this happen to anyone else?

The dream involved dolphins, sharks, a squid monster thingy, tectonic plates, the Mariana Trench, a really cool mini-sub, and some orange-colored probes. JFYI.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: Nightmares and stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 05:56:30 PM »
Nope. But then again its a rarity that I ever dream. And when I do I like to tell people, since I barely ever dream. I haven't had nightmares since I was a kid though, like 8 or 9. And they were usually about Chuckie, you know, the doll one. That's why I'm always so jerky and tense, always looking behind me making sure something isn't going to stab me in the leg. You know, the usual. My dreams however are just weird maybe. I can't really remember any current dreams. If I'm right I may not have had a dream since July or August at the earliest. Usually I just fall asleep, and the next thing I know I'm up and feel like crap listening to some stupid buzzer. And thats me, the sleeping giant.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2003, 06:02:03 PM »
"probes" heh

No wonder you were scared.

The more tired I am, the fewer dreams I have. Weird huh? Though I have a half dozen theories to account for that the instant I start considering.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2003, 06:10:18 PM »
I don't dream. I can remember one night where i dreamt total, in my life, and that was a few months ago. Cannot remember much about the dream. I go to sleep and then wake up. Nothing happens inbetween.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 06:12:55 PM »
So, me and Entropy are a lot more similar than we all think.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2003, 06:22:22 PM »
I dream a lot, though I never have nightmares.  Some of the dreams are incredibly vivid, however--and I always write these down for future use....

Anyway, I don't know why it is, but I don't get scared in my dreams.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2003, 06:32:19 PM »
Almost every nightmare I have, which is only about once a month or so, involves something slimy. The serial killers or whatever don't get much of a reaction out of me, because I can fight back, but the slime/mold/something gross/etc. will always get me to wake right up in horror.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2003, 06:51:02 PM »
Did the sharks have lasers on their heads?
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2003, 07:03:56 PM »
Nah, but the sharks weren't as scary as the dolphins. The dolphins were intelligent and evil.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2003, 07:23:49 PM »
The more tired I am, the fewer dreams I have.

Me too. I don't think I've dreamed since the semester began. I used to write them down for use in my writing, like EUOL (back when I spent time on writing). Now I just conk out at the very last moment possible and wake up what seems like a few minutes later--scary, Gemm and I have something in common, too.

But when I do dream, I dream in full color, with smell and feel and such. It's not completely real, though--it's like that rushing in your ears when you're about to faint, you know? Just slightly off, like I can't see my full range of sight at once, or that things are only there when I look at them, stuff like that.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 07:26:09 PM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2003, 07:39:43 PM »
Actually I think I dream more when I really tired. My Doctors have told me to stay up until I can't stand it and then go to sleep. They say I should get up at the same time no matter when I fall asleep. I still dream every night despite this. Course, I haven't had natural (as in non-drug induced) sleep in over a year.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 07:40:04 PM by 42 »

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2003, 07:55:48 PM »
I've had some vivid dreams, a few of which I know are significant for reasons other than good ideas (the Supergirl as my lover dream doesn't fall in this category, and arguably doesn't fit in either category, but then, it's really not any more vivid than I remember being a Japanese warlord, and uh... Supergirl was my hunny). However, nightmares do not, as a rule for me, remain in anyway vivid. I can remember a few themes but nothing solid.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2003, 08:13:21 PM »
Aside from the slime dreams, my primary nightmares are the classic "running from a bad guy who's always right behind you" dreams. Those don't care me so much as get me really hyped up and alert, in maximum fight-or-flight mode.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2003, 08:44:20 PM »
I've gotten married a couple of times in dreams.

That's kind of freaky.

Mission dreams (as in, dreams of being back on my LDS mission in Korea) are common too.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2003, 09:18:21 PM »
I dream a surprising amount. I have lucid dreams occasionally, and spend a lot of time almost alseep, half dreaming, half-making it up. Some nights I find I dream the whole night, with a nightmare or two mixed up in it, and in the morning I feel really confused between what is real and what isn't. These disturbed nights are usually when I can't sleep well either, makign the whole thing a rather freaky experience. Still, I've got two short stories in progress based on dreams, one I'm getting back into tomorrow, and another I have no idea whee to go with.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy