Author Topic: Alloy of Law (Chapter 5)  (Read 9695 times)

Squallor

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile

Sir_Read-a-Lot

• Level 2
  • This isn't just any text - This is Personal!
    • View Profile
Re: Alloy of Law (Chapter 5)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 03:33:52 PM »
Oh, just publish the book already!   ;D

Chapter was amazing, as always.
“Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.”  - Alice in Wonderland

Tortellini

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 04:40:07 PM »
Great stuff!

It's interesting - Peter said that they can't really end the previews before chapter 6. So there is one more chapter coming. This would already have been a great cliff-hanger right there, if you ask me. Apparently, the next chapter is going to blow our minds  ;D

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 05:18:16 PM »
Ending the previews on such a huge cliffhanger would just be cruel.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Cheese Ninja

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 07:45:38 PM »
Ending the previews on such a huge cliffhanger would just be cruel.
I'm not sure how to take this comment, do editors delight in tormenting the readers as much as authors?  Is it going to end on an even bigger cliffhanger?

I'm really interested to see how Wax and Wayne are going to fight together, since Wax can't shoot out of the speedbubble, is he just going to line up some shots, shoot when Wayne drops it, then they both dash and he sets up another bubble and they repeat the process?  If that's the case it doesn't really seem like Wayne would get much of a chance to use his dueling canes, so I'm guessing there's a bit more to their attack pattern.  Plus, I don't know if Wax has enough bullets for that.

I thought both Marasi and Steris could be kidnapping targets, glad I got that one right.  I wouldn't mind too much if Marasi gets kidnapped, but I hope Steris doesn't.  We've got a bit of an introduction to the kind of character Marasi is, but only hints of Steris's attitudes.

ulysses sword

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 12:55:28 AM »
My guess to the fight? Wax lightly tosses several coins out of the bubble, directly in line with the Vanishers he is targeting.  They are going slow enough to not be deflected much by passing through the bubble.  Wayne drops the bubble, then Wax pushes all dozen or so coins directly outwards, towards their targets.  Repeat two or three more times, then relax in victory.  I'm sure there's something wrong with this, but I'm not sure what it is. 

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 04:41:19 AM »
What I found most interesting was that koloss can apparently breed with humans. I guess it makes sense, since the original founders of the species were once human. Though that's interesting - I wonder if that means kandra would be able to have children with humans, or were they too thoroughly changed?
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

Tortellini

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 09:44:10 AM »
My guess to the fight? Wax lightly tosses several coins out of the bubble, directly in line with the Vanishers he is targeting.  They are going slow enough to not be deflected much by passing through the bubble.  Wayne drops the bubble, then Wax pushes all dozen or so coins directly outwards, towards their targets.  Repeat two or three more times, then relax in victory.  I'm sure there's something wrong with this, but I'm not sure what it is. 

It sounds good, actually. My biggest concern is that it's 37 against 2! I know they are mistings, but any of the robbers could be, too. In fact, the train robberies already prove that they have some allomancers... Going against them directly seems foolish. Hope they don't regret it.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 07:43:56 PM »
What I found most interesting was that koloss can apparently breed with humans. I guess it makes sense, since the original founders of the species were once human. Though that's interesting - I wonder if that means kandra would be able to have children with humans, or were they too thoroughly changed?

I don't think so... a Kandra imitating a human is still (in actuality) a conglomeration of reforming muscle-sacs surrounding a skeleton. I don't think they have the capability to form the actual internal reproductive organs (gonads, or a uterus) needed to create another human being. The original kandra were human, but every generation since is an Awakened mistwraith, right?

Koloss, on the other hand, are more basically magically mutated humans. They presumably have all the organs and such they had when they're changed over by the spiking, and so it's not much of a stretch to imagine that they can breed both with each other and with un-mutated humanity.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 09:54:50 PM »
The original mistwraiths were human too. I always thought they should reproduce like amoebas when they got too big, but I think Brandon has denied that.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 10:17:55 PM »
Yeah, you're probably right. I just find this so interesting; getting new hints of how the world's changed and what Sazed's been up to with its population since the original trilogy. I can't help but speculate. :D
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 09:41:55 AM »
The original mistwraiths were human too. I always thought they should reproduce like amoebas when they got too big, but I think Brandon has denied that.

Right, the First Generation, formed from the other Terrismen that accompanied Rashek. But by the time we got to the trilogy, we had up to a Third Generation, right? Aren't those all from uplifted mistwraiths?

How the heck do we get new mistwraiths, anyhow?

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 12:11:08 PM »
Tensoon was from the third generation, but weren't there several after his? I thought the newest generation in the trilogy was the tenth, but I'd have to check to be sure...

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 04:48:23 PM »
I said the mistwraiths were human. The first generation *kandra* were from Rashek's party. The mistwraiths were all the other feruchemists that Rashek dehumanized. And I speculated on where mistwraiths come from.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 10:00:49 PM »
Oooohhh... I see.

Hm. Interesting.