Author Topic: Epic Fantasy Best Sellers  (Read 2600 times)

guessingo

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Epic Fantasy Best Sellers
« on: July 18, 2011, 03:53:32 PM »
I am referring to non-urban epic fantasy where the author creates a new world. Out of curiosity can anyone help me name some of the top fantasy bestsellers of the last few years. I am just curious. I think Dance with Dragons is the 3rd Epic fantasy go number 1 in the last year (Towers of Midnight, Wise Mans Fear, Dance with Dragons)

Way of Kings was #7
Terry Brooks had one in the top 20, not sure if it made top 10.
Jim Butcher had one out that was high, but I am not sure if its his epic or urban fantasy.

any others? you can go back farther than that. Not sure if the new Tolkein Books go that high anymore.

This doesn't make the book better. just curious about it.

dhalagirl

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Fantasy Best Sellers
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 02:58:28 AM »
The new Tolkein books don't but Silmarilion made #1 back in the day.  David Eddings has also topped the list along with Robert Jordan, Terry Brooks (he's reached #1 for the Star Wars Episode 1 novelization), Neil Gaiman, and Terry Goodkind.  Those are just the ones that reached #1.  There's a bunch more that have reached top 10 status, I just can't think of them at the moment.

If you're limiting yourself to just epic fantasy then I wouldn't include Jim Butcher.  As awesome as he is, the Dresden files are Urban fantasy.  I don't think any of the Codex Alera books made the top 10, but I could be wrong.