Author Topic: I Hate Dragons  (Read 22069 times)

andygal

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: I Hate Dragons
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 07:05:51 AM »
it's a  new version of a story Brandon wrote a few months ago (I think), the original was all-dialog, Brandon just went back and added some descriptive stuff.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 06:28:28 PM »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Juan Dolor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • stupid LiveJournal thing
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 07:41:13 PM »
Is this... an old story getting reposted, or?

Here's the answer, from Brandon's website:

Thank you all for helping me out with the Delta situation (and for helping my brother win his goofy contest). I wanted to do something nice, so I dredged up the chapters I wrote of "I Hate Dragons" as a writing exercise a few months back.

I had originally written these as part of a dialogue exercise, writing no narrative. After I finished them, as a second part of the exercise, I went back and added narrative to fill them out. (Though they're still heavily dialogue.)

See: http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/986/More-of-I-Hate-Dragons.

Juan Dolor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • stupid LiveJournal thing
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 07:41:47 PM »
Ha ha!  Redundancy!

geektea

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 04:21:47 AM »
"She looked at me, arms folded."

Doh! POV change, halfway through Chap. 4.

Excellent story, sir! Thanks for sharing. :D

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 06:08:40 AM »
FIxed it...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

scientificker

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 05:06:30 AM »
What a delightfully fun story.  Of course, to date, everything I have read by Mr. Sanderson has been most enjoyable.  And, to my knowledge, out of his published material the only works I have not read are the books in the Alcatraz series.

There is a typo in chapter 4. The word "fined" in the quote below should be "fine."

“Really? Because I rewrote it several times, and used some very fined punctuation and interesting words. It’s quite marvelous, I must say.”

In addition to reading more of this story, I hope to one day get to read Skip's version of his contract.
Some people are just ignorant; others revel in it. - RHG

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 11:56:17 PM »
Rather ironic place for a typo, really. XD
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

Morsker

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 06:43:31 PM »
Out of curiosity, do editors freak out about deliberate use of typos like this, or is it something they just deal with?

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 04:40:37 AM »
That's assuming they notice the typo in the first place.

TatsujinUrutora

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 12:42:22 AM »
know wut would b great... if he encountered someone speaking 1337 or just regular chat speak, it'd would probly kill him lol

Cheese Ninja

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011, 01:01:55 AM »
A few comments:

Will Brandon be writing more of this then as a short story or a full length novel?  Would be nice if it was short story that we could read off the internet, and then the next time some SF/Fantasy editor or author puts together a dragon anthology (few months to a year, SF/Fantasy authors love short stories, anthologies, and dragons all), Brandon or Peter could say, "Oh, you're putting together a dragon anthology?  We've got this gem we've been sitting on, we could put some polish on it and it would be golden." (mix metaphors to frustrate and amuse people)

Anyone else amused that Brandon's exercise in writing an all dialogue has a main character who is forced to treat spoken language the same as written language and is frustrated by it?  I can't decide if that's really clever or just an odd middle ground.

Thanks Brandon, and I'm sure I and the rest of your fans would love to read more.

Cheese Ninja

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2011, 03:00:20 PM »
Double post, because occasionally my thoughts turn to this story. 
So, here's a guess.

Being delicious to dragons is not a magical knack.

Humans need various minerals and elements to survive.  Some vitamins can be produced by the body itself, like vitamin D, and supplemented by diet.  Humans can't produce vitamin C, so need to gather it from things like citrus fruit or raw meat.  They don't need to consume these things every day, you won't get scurvy immediately.  In this world, dragons need to eat humans.  I think humans are a source of vitamin [human magic].  Being high in [human magic] is why he smells delicious to dragons.  Whether it means he'd be good at manipulating the same types of magic as the sorceress, or that his other two knacks themselves are powerful, I've got no good guesses.  Unless the sorceress's magic is based on incantations, then it's an obvious parallel.

Sir_Read-a-Lot

• Level 2
  • This isn't just any text - This is Personal!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 03:38:25 PM »
What happens when Skip meets a group that has no written language?
“Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.”  - Alice in Wonderland

ulysses sword

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2011, 06:14:10 AM »
He hears them phonetically, either that or not at all.