Author Topic: A brief treatise on why Elayne Trakand is unfit to rule Andor (spoilers)  (Read 7277 times)

Mad_Scientist

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
It's been a while since I read the books, and unfortunately I don't have them all at hand to check up on. I'm not exactly a huge fan of Elayne anyways, but despite that, I think you might be being a bit unfair in a couple areas. Assuming my memory serves me correctly. In case it doesn't, I have a few questions.

First of all, did Elayne even know that Rhavin had conquered Andor from within? I seem to recall her knowing at least something about "Lord Gaebril," but I don't think she knew he was Rhavin or even truly realized he controled Andor.

Later on, Rand displaced Rhavin and took control of Andor rather suddenly. Even Graendal was caught off guard by this. (She didn't go there planning to kill Asmodean... she had intended to meet Rhavin) At what point did Elayne find out about Rand taking over? When she did find out, how long was it before she started heading for Andor? What was she doing during that time? If my memory serves me correctly, she was involved in the whole Bowl of the Winds thing (which was kind of needed for Andor and the entire world to survive), so I can forgive her for not instantly heading to Andor. But maybe I'm wrong about the timing.

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
I agree with the argument that Elayne was justified in her actions to help find the Bowl of the Winds.  Of course Nynaeve, Mat and the other Aes Sedai could have done it themselves but it would make things much less interesting.  I personally don't like Elayne as a character she just comes a cross a bit whinny, of course the only female characters I really enjoy are Nynaeve, Aviendha, Min and Moiraine, but I do see that some of her actions were justified and she has a relatively good head on her shoulders.  I do not agree with her actions in tearing down all of Rand's banners, that was a bit of a slap to the face as if saying "thanks, but no thanks" or "I don't need you anymore."  I didn't feel like that demonstrated the social grace you guys are all talking about at all.  Especially since he had just saved her country from civil war and saved the Lion Throne for her. 

P.S  --  Mad_Scientist  to answer your question I believe she found out about Rand ruling Andor and "killing her mother" in LoC and she started her journey to Andor in PoD.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
I'm actually working my way through the books again in anticipation for the release of the final book next year (though, through audio book this time). I'm on fires of heaven right now near the end, and Rand just got word about Elayne's mother's "death" and the crowning of "Lord Gaebril". Looking it up really quick (on http://encyclopaedia-wot.org), the earliest I can find elayne learning about her mother's "death" is in The path of daggers, chapter 20, which is actually right at the end of the whole "bowl of winds" debacle.

Also, for the record, i would just like to say that I personally am not a fan of her, because she was nobly born and raised, and acts as such (she's stubborn, spoiled, and early on fairly clueless about the world)
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
I do not agree with her actions in tearing down all of Rand's banners, that was a bit of a slap to the face as if saying "thanks, but no thanks" or "I don't need you anymore."  I didn't feel like that demonstrated the social grace you guys are all talking about at all.  Especially since he had just saved her country from civil war and saved the Lion Throne for her.
Unless I am greatly mistaken, Rand was not the intended audience for that action.  She did it not as a message to Rand, but as a message to Andor to say that she would be her own ruler rather than Rand's figurehead.  Getting that message out in a way that would be believed was critical to her bid for the throne, and taking down Rand's banners is a far more effective and necessary step for that than any speech or statement she could possibly make.

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
That is true I guess she did have to show her people her strength despite the adversity of her mother's "death" and all.

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
I'm actually working my way through the books again in anticipation for the release of the final book next year (though, through audio book this time). I'm on fires of heaven right now near the end, and Rand just got word about Elayne's mother's "death" and the crowning of "Lord Gaebril". Looking it up really quick (on http://encyclopaedia-wot.org), the earliest I can find elayne learning about her mother's "death" is in The path of daggers, chapter 20, which is actually right at the end of the whole "bowl of winds" debacle.

Also, for the record, i would just like to say that I personally am not a fan of her, because she was nobly born and raised, and acts as such (she's stubborn, spoiled, and early on fairly clueless about the world)

Elayne definitely heard that her mother was "dead" well before Path of Daggers, she knew before she left Salidar.  She knew almost on arrival to Salidar.  She wasn't 100% sure that her mother really died, I feel like she said something like "Until I see a body, I won't believe it.", but everyone else was convinced around her. 
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
I do remember reading that.  It's been a while since I read the Fires of Heaven and Lord of Chaos.  I do believe she heard about it maybe when she was at that one large town in Gheldan when she was with the menagerie.  I could be wrong, of course.  But, overall despite my dislike of her character, she has made both good and made decisions and I do not believe she is the least qualified to rule a throne.